Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ALL ORIGINAL Irvin RAF type Jackets - Loving that Wolf in sheeps' clothing!

Trapp72

New in Town
aswatland said:
Unless you are very lucky you will have a long wait to find an original in the condition of these two. Good luck in your search.
Well, not exactly the same condition, but atleast in wearable condition.

I'd be more interested in find a B3 in the same condition as the two Irvin's above, though I doubt I ever will without having to shell out a ton $$$ in the process.

rikbb

Familiar Face
tall

aswatland said:
Rik, Size 5s varied in size, but having owned ELC size 42 and 44 Irvins I would say it is similar to their 42, mid War jacket, but the sleeves are longer and is the body on my D.G. jacket than ELC size 42s.

Andrew, then you must be atleast 5,11 foot tall?
Rik

rikbb

Familiar Face
thanks paddy

Very moving stories, so close to the liberation.
Nijverdal is not very far from where i studied,
rik

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
I am looking into buying an ELC 1940 version Irvin and will have to settle on the usual finish as Gary says he is not doing this version in "time worn- .50 cal " or whatever you want to call it.
Any advice from ELC Irvin owners before I place an order ...tips obn what to ask Gary etc would be appreciated.

Just did a quick comparison between HPA and ELC

HPA = $1234.00 US = $1309.00 CN

ELC = $ 530 PDS = $930.00 CN

A difference of $379.00 cn

WOW !!!! Guess I know who I am ordering from.
Now that HPA is no longer with ELC, I had hoped maybe he would have a small sale to clean out his remaining stock but I guess not.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
fleet16b said:
I am looking into buying an ELC 1940 version Irvin and will have to settle on the usual finish as Gary says he is not doing this version in "time worn- .50 cal " or whatever you want to call it.
Any advice from ELC Irvin owners before I place an order ...tips obn what to ask Gary etc would be appreciated.

Just did a quick comparison between HPA and ELC

HPA = $1234.00 US = $1309.00 CN

ELC = $ 530 PDS = $930.00 CN

A difference of $379.00 cn

WOW !!!! Guess I know who I am ordering from.
Now that HPA is no longer with ELC, I had hoped maybe he would have a small sale to clean out his remaining stock but I guess not.

I think you have posted this in the wrong place. This is for original Irvins and there is repro Irvin thread now.

fleet16b

One of the Regulars
aswatland said:
I think you have posted this in the wrong place. This is for original Irvins and there is repro Irvin thread now.

Yes you are right but most on this site can offer expert advice on the replicas and have dealt with ELC first hand.

aswatland

fleet16b said:
Yes you are right but most on this site can offer expert advice on the replicas and have dealt with ELC first hand.

The large Irvin thread was locked and two new ones started to distinguish between originals and repros. There are many there familiar with ELC jackets.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
After going through all the pictures in this thread (Looking for closeups of zippers to compare with my repro.),
I just realised there were both jackets with a leatherstraps and a chains for in the neck for hanging - and even some without anything.
What was the right thing back then?

aswatland

Most Irvins had chains, but around 10-15% of the ones I have seen had leather hangers. It was not something perculiar to certain contractors as Irvin Air Chute, Wareings and DGL used both. It may be a coincidence but the really excellent quality surviving ones which were issued to senior officers in my collection all have leather hangers.

greeny

Familiar Face
Wow, so many great looking jackets - and in great shape. I really hope I can find one inn wearable condition in my size. Not so easy out here in Austria though!

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
greeny said:
Wow, so many great looking jackets - and in great shape. I really hope I can find one inn wearable condition in my size. Not so easy out here in Austria though!
Welcome to the Lounge Greeny!
You should try ebay - original Irvins comes up for sale there now and again. Aero in Scotland also sometimes have originals, they have restored up for sale.
It's all a matter of size - and money. Good hunting!:)

greeny

Familiar Face
Thanks - both for the welcome and advice! Unfortunately, being in Austria, often listings on ebay that include references to WWII are off limits for political reasons. It must depend on the wording- some listings I can view, others I can't. I was wondering what other options there are (I'm a bit new to all this) -are there any decent antique/militaria fairs in the UK? Or do jackets crop up in any other likey places??

aswatland

POST WAR ISSUED IRVINS

I recently bought a late War multi-panelled Irvin. Its the 10422 contract which on the basis of the AM contracts was issued to Links no later than 1945 (I have a picture of a higher numbered AM contract label with a 1945 date). I asked the seller about the owner of the jacket, his grand mother's first husband and got this sad reply:

The pilot, whose name appears on the jacket's label, is James Jason Phillips. I have his original Pilot's Log Books, which indicate the squadrons he flew with. He appears to have got his "wings" in October 1947 at RAF Tern Hill. After flying with a couple of OCU's, he started flying with 264 Squadron in July 1948 flying the Mosquito, with some occasional flights on the Oxford. From September 1949 the squadron reference changes from just 264 to 264/79 and this continued up until October 1951. There is a slight gap, as the next log book starts at August 1952 and he is now working for Airwork Services Ltd. He was based at Hurn (Bournemouth) airport with the Fleet Requirements Unit (FRU) that worked exclusively with the Fleet Air Arm. Over the next 5 years he flew the Mosquito, Hornet, Sea Fury 2, Meteor 7, Attacker, Sea Hawk and the Firefly. On November 15th 1957 he had been on a training exercise with HMS Bulwark flying a Firefly TT4 that was towing a target drone for gunnery practice. It is believed that he was involved in a mid-air collision with another aircraft towing a drone. There were no witnesses and all four aircrew involved were killed. Some of the wreckage was recovered but only the body of his winch operator was found.

He has sent me the original accident report to back all this up. There has always been a mystery to me about the production of Irvins from 1945 to 1950 when they were no longer issued to RAF aircrew/pilots. The information on Phillips seems to suggest late war contract Irvins either continued to be produced after the war or there were sufficient quantities still in the stores to issue to pilots after the War. Phillips was most likely issued with his around 1947-8.

Here are some pics taken by the seller which show the remarkable condition of the jacket.

Links1944IrvinC.jpg

Links1944Irvine.jpg

Links1944Irvind.jpg

Links1944Irving.jpg

Links1944Irvinh.jpg

Links1944Irvinbmpa.jpg

B115wBWkKGrHgoOKkMEjlLmVuSBKtSuScno.jpg

aswatland

PRE-WAR IRVIN WITH DOT "DECO" ZIPS

This jacket dates from the mid 1930s, having close pile fleece, DOT Deco sleeve zips and other features typical of Irvins from this period. There are only two known pre-War makers of Irvins, Wareings and the more famous Irvin Air Chute. This one was almost certainly made by Irvin Air Chute having the typical narrower belt loops, square cornered collar, small collar fixing rings and top quality workmanship.

The main zip is an extremely rare single trunnion DOT, with a brass pull only seen on Irvins from around 1936-8. The stopper is marked "DOT BRITISH" rather than the more common "DOT MADE IN ENGLAND". This zip, is 100% original to the jacket and functions smoothly with no missing teeth. Both sleeve zips are also original to the jacket and are the ultra rare DOT Deco variety which were only used for a short time in the mid 1930s. All the leather pullers are original to the zips and they function smoothly.

002-37.jpg

014-35.jpg

013-43.jpg

004-31.jpg

007-37.jpg

008-41.jpg

018-31.jpg

006-38.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member