Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All You Need to Know About Hat Etiquette

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
in a casual restaurant I'll leave my hat on sometimes

in a high end restaurant I never do ... but that is just me

and also at someones dinner table I never wear a hat

this is mostly out of respect for my late grandmother who told me ... a gentlemen only wears a hat indoors in a train station, a lobby, or crowded elevator

I don't follow exactly what she said ... but I think there is a mostly long forgotten charm to that sort of respect and etiquette

all that being said ... I never get offended by people who do any of these things ... I strictly hold myself to it

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I would like to have/use a 'meal hook' for my fedora, as long as it's small enough for a hip pocket and doesn't leave a pinch mark. I'm not sure if such a device exists.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
in a casual restaurant I'll leave my hat on sometimes

in a high end restaurant I never do ... but that is just me

and also at someones dinner table I never wear a hat

this is mostly out of respect for my late grandmother who told me ... a gentlemen only wears a hat indoors in a train station, a lobby, or crowded elevator

I don't follow exactly what she said ... but I think there is a mostly long forgotten charm to that sort of respect and etiquette

all that being said ... I never get offended by people who do any of these things ... I strictly hold myself to it

What about at McDonald's and your seated at a table and there is a safe place to put the hat. Would you still leave it on? I would take it off unless if there is no where safe to put it. For example: counter tops: crowded restaurants, etc.)

For me, it's a certain level of respect. Take your hat off when speaking with a lady, entering someone's abode, or sitting down to dine with them. Taking it off shows deference and respect. However, I understand what the OP is saying. Times have changed. And you have to be practical. I'm not too worried about leaving my hat on in McDonald's or something, or when dining "al fresco," but I will try to find some place for it if at all possible. BUT - I'm not too keen on letting a vintage, somewhat irreplaceable hat out of my sight unless it's a really nice place.

Having said all that, I'm not getting bent out of shape if somebody else keeps theirs on, either.

Like Sly said, "Different stokes, for different folks."

jkingrph

Practically Family
This time of year during the daytime, I always have a straw hat. During cold weather regardless of the hour it's always a felt. In church it comes off when I enter the building, if in court, when I enter the actual courtroom. In any restaurant if there is a place to safely place it I will remove it, otherwise it stays on, regardless of the class of the establishment. I'm shy of 70 years old, and wear one to protect my very thin noggin from sunburn and cold, and do not wear cheap hats. That said I do not want someone to sit on one, possibly have it soiled by placing on a dining table, or stolen, I had an acquaintance that had a nice western hat stolen from the church foyer, so hanging one on an unattended rack is a no go. Basically it all boils down to safety for my hat.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
However, I have to ask - times have changed, does that mean manners and decorum have changed as well? Most of us on this forum, some pining for Grampa's day and some who are just not too thrilled with the social mores of today, believe that a certain type of manners and decorum are timeless.

I'd guess just as many of us are on the forum because we love fedoras. Period.

At a wake or in a place of worship NO HAT.

But there are places of worship that require you to cover your head.

Anymore, I'd vote for all of us spending more time looking for ways and reasons to respect each other. Give the benefit of the doubt, and think kindly of others. :)

A

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'm aware of that. Of course I'd welcome the opportunity to wear a hat when required in a place of worship.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Didn't mean to imply otherwise, Bob! I was trying to make the point that there are good reasons for all kinds of behaviors, and I'd vote for assuming the best. :)

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
This time of year during the daytime, I always have a straw hat. During cold weather regardless of the hour it's always a felt. In church it comes off when I enter the building, if in court, when I enter the actual courtroom. In any restaurant if there is a place to safely place it I will remove it, otherwise it stays on, regardless of the class of the establishment. I'm shy of 70 years old, and wear one to protect my very thin noggin from sunburn and cold, and do not wear cheap hats. That said I do not want someone to sit on one, possibly have it soiled by placing on a dining table, or stolen, I had an acquaintance that had a nice western hat stolen from the church foyer, so hanging one on an unattended rack is a no go. Basically it all boils down to safety for my hat.

Completely agree on the point of safety for my hat. I can remember a day when establishments had a place for one to hang their hat. Nowadays I'm lucky if there is a place to hang my coat. If there is no safe place in a restaurant then I'll likely keep it on my head if I have no other option even though I would normally remove it inside. In most cases when dining at least I normally have an empty chair beside me on which I can sometimes hang it.

My dad for example has caught many people trying to walk off with a hat of his so for that reason my hats always stay close.

tommyK

One Too Many
I accept hats-on when standing indoors in the bar area of a club or restaurant. Basically OK?

This was always OK. Watch old movies from 30's, 40's and 50's (my general guide to hat etiquette),You'll see plenty of guys with their hats on at bars and diner counters. In the dining area of a restaurant, no.

I once went into a reasonably nice restaurant and the hostess told me to take my hat off before she took us to our seat. I obliged. After being seated I looked around the room and saw 3 baseball caps perched atop two men and one woman's head. I was resolved after that if this happened again I would tell the host or hostess to"kiss my a**". Of course with my witty retort chambered, it hasn't come up again.

Last edited:

WesternHatWearer

A-List Customer
I spent some time in the military and from this experience I gained a different a meaning of hat etiquette/ headgear etiquette. When an individual wears a hat indoors it often signifies the individual is working or employed in the area. Not that the individual is dining or such. In some instances an individual with headwear on while indoors signaled the person was armed or 'under arms.'
Hats or headwear were not to be worn indoors and especially at meals unless directed/ordered. (In my experiences I do not ever recall getting an order to wear a hat while eating, but that is just my experience.)
From my experiences, I do not like seeing hats, ball caps, driving caps, or such being worn while eating. With that said, I am not racing to anyone's table to share my feelings about their wearing of a hat while eating.

My general guideline for when to remove my hat:
1. Was (or is) there a military protocol regarding the situation and headwear ?
2. Is there a cultural understanding that I need to be aware regarding hats (Hat etiquette can be very different in other parts of the world)
3. Would my parents/ guardians slap the back of my head for not removing my hat in the given situation.

:) just my experience and opinion.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
What about at McDonald's and your seated at a table and there is a safe place to put the hat. Would you still leave it on? I would take it off unless if there is no where safe to put it. For example: counter tops: crowded restaurants, etc.)

McDonald's or any fast food restaurant I do not remove my hat from my head. Usually is over crowded.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
How many restaurants have hat and coat rooms these days, even upscale restaurants? Some might have coat racks. How many fast food establishments even offer hat and coat hooks at the booths anymore? What is one to do with overcoat/jacket let alone hat, especially in nicer restaurants if there are no extra chairs at your table to drape your coat and hat? Things just ain't what they used to was! Changing times indeed or should I say, times have changed. I play it by ear when it comes to public places, I try to use good judgement. They have forced us hat wearers, or at least me, to bend, heck even break the so called "hat etiquette" rules at times.

Common sense and good judgement are the only rules I need.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy