Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alpha MA-1 Stench Ohhh My!

les_garten

One of the Regulars
I just got an Alpha MA-1 that has a smell. Like maybe it was in a house with dogs or something.

Very organic type smell.

It is in Excellent condition and I would like to remedy the smell issue.

Any recommendations or tips/tricks for how to proceed?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Stick several dryer sheets inside, including in the arms, Low or No Heat in the dryer for ~30-45 min. Or as a gentler method put in a corner of your house with a fan blowing up though the jacket. Put a de-humidifier nearby.

les_garten

One of the Regulars
Stick several dryer sheets inside, including in the arms, Low or No Heat in the dryer for ~30-45 min. Or as a gentler method put in a corner of your house with a fan blowing up though the jacket. Put a de-humidifier nearby.

Right now I've got it out in the garage, I was thinking of some sunlight as well.

I don't see how the dryer sheets would help.

Does Fabreeze actually work for this?

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Right now I've got it out in the garage, I was thinking of some sunlight as well.

I don't see how the dryer sheets would help.

Does Fabreeze actually work for this?

Plenty of sunlight inside and out. But it will still be tough to rid the smell soaked deep inside the linings. If it really unbearable, dry cleaning may be a way to go as the last resort. Fabreeze only last for one or two days, then the small will certainly come back, and you probably don't want to ruin your jacket the the residual deodoriser.

Last edited:

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I see it mentioned above but I've found the spray on Febreze has worked really well for me in the past on a few vintage items I've bought, that followed by a good outdoor airing out. Not ever had smell returning after myself.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
how about active carbon pack, I use a couple of those refrigerator deodorizer to put into my boots when I rest them, they absorb odor from the fridge and I find also good enough for boots. I think it might work, hang the jacket on a hanger and hang this active carbon pack also on the hanger, and blow fan or just left it outside where air can pass through it.

TPD166

One Too Many
Got this tip on TFL a few years ago & found it to be a great solution. On hats I have sealed them in a box with crumpled newspaper for several days - it pulled the smell out into the paper. Once or twice I had to change the paper and reseal for a few more days. Always worked though. I have also used the refrigerator odor catchers successfully too. Newspaper also works on old briefcases, suitcases, dressers, etc.

Peacoat

Bartender
Does dry cleaning really work on these?
Yes. That is the recommended method of cleaning. I have had my original issue flight jackets dry cleaned without a problem. Whatever you do, don't wash it. If it is one of the original issue jackets, it has a wool lining that will shrink and the jacket will no longer fit you. Might fit somebody else, but it won't fit you.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sympathetic dry cleaning has worked for me too...very good results! If it's an original Id be careful who you entrust it to.

IXL

One Too Many
Most all law enforcement supply stores carry de-stinkyizers, intended for body armor, which is no small task. They work well and I've used them on jackets. Also, they are supposed to kill any still-living cooties lurking in the garment.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Methods I have used ---Febreze

Dryer sheets, 12-24 or more, stuffed in the arms and laid over the jacket everywhere including pockets.

Buy cedar wood balls, off ebay or where ever. Stuff them in ladies nylon stockings/socks/pantyhose etc., tie them off and stick in pockets, arms holes, lay on jacket etc. (the cedar balls in nylons stocking trick works in shoes and in boxing gloves- anything particularly susceptible to odors. Leave until odors are effectively eliminated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou