Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I Too Old?

Annyth

New in Town
Hi all.:)

I'm very new to the FL, though I've lurked for a good long while..

Reading all the posts in here, I'm sort of intimidated by the amazing crafting and sewing skills you all seem to have... :eek: But also by the fact that you're all so............ Young.

I am 48 next month. Am I the oldest woman in the Fedora Lounge?

Should I start a new thread for vintage clothing for Women of a Certain Age..? :(

I'm not just collecting statistics. But I do look at some of the wonderful pics and accounts of vintage clothes and accessories posted in here and think, Hmmmm... But maybe I'm just too old for that...........

- annyth

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Hi, Annyth, welcome to the FL. I think there are some threads here on age and clothing; maybe somebody will post a link.

I think certain styles look better at certain stages of life. :) There are vintage styles to suit people of all ages.

Annyth

New in Town
Thankyou both, so much!

I've never done any of the things we're "meant" to do at certain ages (like marriage and kids!) so I've never really understood any of the conventions.. Or what people mean when they tell me, as they often do, that I'm "youngfor my age"........! :eek:

Inky

One Too Many
Annyth said:
Oh, and Inky, I love your blog! lol

Thank you Annyth! I appreciate that :)

I've also never done things at the typical ages, and I know I dress completely out of the range of a 49 year old women (i have flaming red hair and covered with tattoos), but then I've never been very typical or conventional either.

A friend just turned me on to this blog of people of an older age who have interesting and fantastic style. You might enjoy it as well (not vintage, just fun):

http://advancedstyle.blogspot.com/

Inky

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
I'm only 34, but my main goal in life is to be INKY!! I vow to never be "boring" or "too old" for anything :D

OMG, i just about choked on my water reading that Amy Jeanne. Well, my work is done here. If I influence just one person to never be boring, then job well done, I'm going back to bed ;)

thank you, that really means a lot to me!

Kamikat, I am glad you like that blog. I really have enjoyed looking at the images and it has given me a real boost to continue being myself and not worrying about what number I am (in a lot of ways!).

Age is just a number, and the alternatives to aging are much worse!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
Amy Jeanne said:
I'm only 34, but my main goal in life is to be INKY!! I vow to never be "boring" or "too old" for anything :D

She is fabulous isn't she?! I can't wait till i'm totally bad ass like her!!!!

Age ain't nothin but a number ladies! I'm only 23, but i most certainly can't wait to grow up!

Annyth

New in Town
[/QHOTE]I'm only 23, but i most certainly can't wait to grow up![/Q

...when you feel exactly the same, but you're treated differently because of the way you look.........

;)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That Advanced Style blog is really neat! I added it to my blog list. Thanks for linking to it!
You're definitely not too old for vintage. My mom is 60 and she loves mixing vintage with her everyday wardrobe. If you like it, go for it!

Inky

One Too Many
holey moley people, i had no idea. I hope my head doesn't get too big for my bandanas ;)

Thanks so much, I feel the love right now (and after this terrible dentist visit today, I could use some love!)

glad you are all enjoying that Advanced Style blog, I am really love it and I bet there are more like it out there.

The Shirt

Practically Family
I think that vintage is actually quite becoming on more mature women. The lovely thing is that some vintage styles really play up a woman's assets and curves without being clingy, skin tight or too revealing. The older I get the more I want to encourage looking at my best assets rather than how much skin I'm showing. I think that the rules of thumb about hemlines probably still hold true today (below or at the knee over 30 in my mind).
Personally, I want to be Mrs. Robinson in leopard though rather than the girl in a pinafore or bobby socks. I do believe that something a 50 year old would have worn in 1951 may appear too dowdy by today's standards in some cases. I think that you can push a little younger in your vintage look, IMHO. I look at some necklines from vintage photos and think, the woman is so beautiful still, she could go a little lower. Or I love the outfit, but the shoes look dowdy to me. That's just my opinion though.

BTW Inky should have her own fanclub.

Brooksie

One Too Many
I will be 41 in 3 days - yay! I love my birthday. I am still lovin the vintage and I hope I always do.

My mom has seen this lady who she says is probably in her late 60's, two times in a smaller town not far from here (McMinnville) at the canned food outlet. The first time she saw her she told me this lady had on vintage from head to toe - she said she was wearing a beautiful hand crocheted dress that looked to be from the 1930's. She said she told her that her dress was just beautiful and that her daugher (me) would be envious. She saw her again several months later and she had on all vintage again. My mom say this lady looks great and that she pulls it off well...my mom is 77 incase anyone is curious.

Yes, I agree Inky you are a great roll model - you just look like fun plus you are a classy lady so it makes for a very good combination.

Brooksie

Odalisque

A-List Customer
Inky said:
Nope, you are definitely not the oldest lady lounger by a long shot. I am 49 this past May and I know there are older ladies here.

Welcome aboard!

Inky, I'm shocked! I would have had no idea that you were 49...you look so young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy