Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An invitation to dress down.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Speedsuit

They look like Dr. Ventures Speed Suit.:p
venturebros.png

1930sEsquire159.jpg

Nice onesies. (in jest);) :p

Cheers!

Dan

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HAHA!! But, although alien to us, they are nice and put together. So much better than the mesh shorts and logo tank tops that I've been seeing. Maybe it's just Boston, but when I was downtown today, it seemed like everyone was wearing gym clothes.
Hem showed me an article today in the New York Times that talked about how fashionable short nighties are for girls to wear as dresses!! Nightes! as Dresses! Well, I guess that's good for the guys of the world, but why can't they at least put on a dress, does it have to be cotton sleepwear?? A simple cotton dress, very comfy, looks cute, keeps you cool, not meant to be slept in and worn the next day....

Daisy Buchanan said:
Hem showed me an article today in the New York Times that talked about how fashionable short nighties are for girls to wear as dresses!! Nightes! as Dresses! Well, I guess that's good for the guys of the world, but why can't they at least put on a dress, does it have to be cotton sleepwear?? A simple cotton dress, very comfy, looks cute, keeps you cool, not meant to be slept in and worn the next day....

:eek: :eusa_doh:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Nope, it's everywhere!

"Maybe it's just Boston, but when I was downtown today, it seemed like everyone was wearing gym clothes."

Maybe everyone fancies themselves to be athletes? [huh] Although most hardly look the part. Or maybe people are trying to identify with their inner athlete? Or maybe by wearing athlete's clothing they hope to become as famous and wealthy as an athlete?
It appears that basketball players rule the current general trend in fashion, I just wish they would start dressing better. :(
Maybe someday? :rolleyes:

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
HAHA!! But, although alien to us, they are nice and put together. So much better than the mesh shorts and logo tank tops that I've been seeing. Maybe it's just Boston, but when I was downtown today, it seemed like everyone was wearing gym clothes.

Daisy,

It's not just Boston. It's LA, it's Seattle, San Francisco...everywhere. On Saturday night, a friend of mine and I got together in Oakland to goto a bar and have a nightcap after she was done with work. I didn't say this to her, but I was surprised that some of the people in there, dare I say it of the younger generation were literally walking around in the most disorganized rags I've seen before. Now, before I sound like my father or his father I just have to tell you this. The guys were wearing white t-shirts down to their knees with baggy jeans and the gals were wearing what looked like that athletic wear that you were talking about but it moreso looked like PJs. I just don't understand it, I'm not trying to be eliteist (sp.) and I don't think I'm better than them. I just don't understand the lack of personal pride and care that most of us 'sane' people take each day. Yeah, I dress down in a t-shirt and shorts every so once awhile but ONLY at home.

I don't know if it's the generation or just society as a whole but if I had kids, I wouldn't let my daughter out of the house wearing cozy jogging pants that read "CUTIE" on her bottom. After reading some of what you folks have posted, maybe it is the fact that what has become acceptable has changed and that sliding bar of acceptable attire has come down since the 60s. I just don't get it and I don't think I'll ever get it.

Jon

FedoraGent said:
My goodness, I'm so glad. LOL. Am I being too conservative? I don't think so. I've always been pretty liberal about things. Heck, I live in the Bay Area...how can you not be.

Jon

The way people dress reflects on them. It says something about them before you get to talk to them. I wish a larger amount of people understood that. Look like a bum? Expect to be treated as such. [huh]
The clothes with things written in inappropriate places like the one you mentioned really gets to me---especially since the people wearing it usually don't meet the standards of the phrases. :rolleyes: :p

Regards,

J

LizzieMaine

Bartender
jamespowers said:
The way people dress reflects on them. It says something about them before you get to talk to them. I wish a larger amount of people understood that. Look like a bum? Expect to be treated as such. [huh]
The clothes with things written in inappropriate places like the one you mentioned really gets to me---especially since the people wearing it usually don't meet the standards of the phrases. :rolleyes: :p

Well said.

There's nothing wrong with wearing gym clothes to the gym, beach clothes to the beach, or pajamas to bed. But wearing those kinds of things to a sit-down restaurant, or a theatre, or a public meeting of some kind is just -- well, it just ain't fittin'. As my grandmother used to say whenever I got out of line -- "There is a TIME and a PLACE for everything -- and this is NEITHER the time NOR the place for THAT!"

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Tim always wears a suit, I a fancy dress, and we get funny looks. I don't care about the looks though, because I know I'm not the one who looks funny.

That ought to be a tagline Daisy--well put!

Feraud

Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
There's nothing wrong with wearing gym clothes to the gym, beach clothes to the beach, or pajamas to bed. But wearing those kinds of things to a sit-down restaurant, or a theatre, or a public meeting of some kind is just -- well, it just ain't fittin'. As my grandmother used to say whenever I got out of line -- "There is a TIME and a PLACE for everything -- and this is NEITHER the time NOR the place for THAT!"
Good words are well worth repeating!!

Queens, New York has taken another grinding step over that old saying, "clothes make the man".
This weekend I saw a fellow walk out of a grocery store with.....wait for it......slippers! You read right Loungers. This young fellow in his middle to late 20's was groovin' in his "I went to college once and am going to reflect it for the rest of my Life" look. He was the typical of the hipster Senator Jack mentions as ruining our fair city. I know how practical flip-flops are for walking around on those baking hot Manhattan sidewalks. Imagine the brainstorm this guy had when he realized he could "one-up" his cool friends! ;)

Every time you see a flip-flop wearing dude in an eating establishment you should thank him. He could be (and soon probably will be) wearing slippers.

flip1bi9.png

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh jeez -- I'd forgotten all about this memory, but you brought it back. Back in my radio days I worked with a guy who *always* came to work in these foul brown leatherette bedroom slippers -- the kind of things you always see Dagwood Bumstead's dog chewing on.

Didn't matter what the weather, what the time of year -- every single day of the week, this guy would come shuffling into the office wearing a dress shirt with no tie, a pair of snagged Sans-A-Belt slacks, and these awful slippers. Even by the low dress standards of radio -- and there are no lower standards in any white-collar field -- the guy was a slob of the first water. Plus, he worked in my department, so I was constantly having to take him aside and tell him "Gee, you know, you're going out to cover city council meetings, everyone in suits and hard shoes and all, and you're wearing these old slippers -- doesn't that make you kind of feel uncomfortable?"

"No," he said. "Once the meeting starts, I just kick 'em under the chair..."

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
"Maybe it's just Boston, but when I was downtown today, it seemed like everyone was wearing gym clothes."

Maybe everyone fancies themselves to be athletes? [huh] Although most hardly look the part. Or maybe people are trying to identify with their inner athlete? Or maybe by wearing athlete's clothing they hope to become as famous and wealthy as an athlete?
It appears that basketball players rule the current general trend in fashion, I just wish they would start dressing better. :(
Maybe someday? :rolleyes:

The NBA has recently made a rule that its basketball players must wear professional attire off the court when representing the NBA.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Paisley said:
The NBA has recently made a rule that its basketball players must wear professional attire off the court when representing the NBA.

Really!? :eek: Or are ya just pullin' my leg? lol
But if it's really so,...how would these guys interpret "professional attire" other than what they wear when they are working? :eusa_doh:

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Sefton said:
I never-and I mean never-wear them. My legs are so white if I get a cut I don't use a bandAid. I reach for the WhiteOut!

I have to wear shorts in the summer (not to my day job, of course) as my body can't handle the excessive heat. I'm not going to wear slacks while walking my dog as she likes to romp into a creek that runs through the city park and I usually end up with some of that dirty water on me (and lately in this 100 degree heat I've been jumping in with her!). I bicycle LOTS since I don't own a car so I gotta wear shorts (I will NEVER wear actual biking clothes, though...I hate that tour de france look...those around here that do dress that way are sort of an elitist group anyway).

Someone else here said he doesn't wear short-sleeved shirts. Hey, as long as I have tons of vintage short-sleeved shirts I'm going to wear them. A little vintage detail I do is to fold up the end of the sleeves twice about a half-inch in width with each fold.

Feraud said:
Good words are well worth repeating!!

Queens, New York has taken another grinding step over that old saying, "clothes make the man".
This weekend I saw a fellow walk out of a grocery store with.....wait for it......slippers! You read right Loungers. This young fellow in his middle to late 20's was groovin' in his "I went to college once and am going to reflect it for the rest of my Life" look. He was the typical of the hipster Senator Jack mentions as ruining our fair city. I know how practical flip-flops are for walking around on those baking hot Manhattan sidewalks. Imagine the brainstorm this guy had when he realized he could "one-up" his cool friends! ;)

Every time you see a flip-flop wearing dude in an eating establishment you should thank him. He could be (and soon probably will be) wearing slippers.

flip1bi9.png

Slippers, pajamas and lingerie are infiltrating the public world. If you think about the hedgehog hair that many people sport, they have made their lives extremely easy. Roll out of bed. Put on slippers. Walk out door.
What's next? Will they drink their coffee from sippy cups? Will they keep the soap on a rope around their necks? Will they cruise into work wearing the one piece pajamas with feet built into them so they can save the time it takes to put on slippers? :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
Slippers, pajamas and lingerie are infiltrating the public world. If you think about the hedgehog hair that many people sport, they have made their lives extremely easy. Roll out of bed. Put on slippers. Walk out door.
What's next? Will they drink their coffee from sippy cups? Will they keep the soap on a rope around their necks? Will they cruise into work wearing the one piece pajamas with feet built into them so they can save the time it takes to put on slippers? :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J
HeHe... I just had a funny picture of men going into fancy office buildings in feety pj's. That would be a site, one that I surely don't want to see.
As for soap on a rope, we are making an assumption that the people wearing there pj's to work will shower first. I'm assuming if they are rolling out of bed and drinking out of sippy cups, they probably aren't bathing themselves.
It's not difficult to dress nicely. With the mass amounts of discount stores on the rise, offering everything from khakis to suits, just about anyone can put on something nicer than gym shorts. The funny thing is, the article I read in the New York Times was saying how one can purchase these cute nighties for around $120.00. I can go to TJMaxx or Marshalls and by a non-nightie very pretty dress for $20.00, sometimes more, but definitely less than a $120 night gown. Well I guess it is a bargain if you are using it for double dutie. Once again this is not an elite thing. The shoe (or flip flop) can also be on the other foot. One can have all the money in the world, and no class. If you're going for a jog, wear gym shorts. If you're taking a nice stroll through an area where you live, take it up a knotch, put on those khaki's and a polo shirt, or a pretty cotton/linen dress. I believe there have been studies about how when people dress a little nicer, they go a little farther.
On another note. I remember a lecture I had last year at school before graduation. They were trying to prepare us for job interviews. I am in the health field, and wear scrubs to work. But, for a job interview, I would wear either a pant or skirt suit. The professor told us basically that we could wear anything but jeans!! I just couldn't imagine showing up in daily wear to something as important as a job interview, even if it is a job where I get to dress sloppy! (There is just no way to look neat in scrubs, although they have come a long way. I have ones that are boot cut, and the top is fitted at the waist and flared at the hip, very cute)

Daisy Buchanan said:
HeHe... I just had a funny picture of men going into fancy office buildings in feety pj's. That would be a site, one that I surely don't want to see.
As for soap on a rope, we are making an assumption that the people wearing there pj's to work will shower first. I'm assuming if they are rolling out of bed and drinking out of sippy cups, they probably aren't bathing themselves.

That was the point of the soap on a rope---instead of bathing. :D It will just make them smell like soap. :p

Regards,

J

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
FedoraGent said:
Daisy,

It's not just Boston. It's LA, it's Seattle, San Francisco...everywhere. On Saturday night, a friend of mine and I got together in Oakland to goto a bar and have a nightcap after she was done with work. I didn't say this to her, but I was surprised that some of the people in there, dare I say it of the younger generation were literally walking around in the most disorganized rags I've seen before. Now, before I sound like my father or his father I just have to tell you this. The guys were wearing white t-shirts down to their knees with baggy jeans and the gals were wearing what looked like that athletic wear that you were talking about but it moreso looked like PJs. I just don't understand it, I'm not trying to be eliteist (sp.) and I don't think I'm better than them. I just don't understand the lack of personal pride and care that most of us 'sane' people take each day. Yeah, I dress down in a t-shirt and shorts every so once awhile but ONLY at home.

I don't know if it's the generation or just society as a whole but if I had kids, I wouldn't let my daughter out of the house wearing cozy jogging pants that read "CUTIE" on her bottom.

There's a large university here in town, and for probably the past 8 years, I have noticed that wearing pajama pants in public seems to be an increasingly popular trend among females of college age. And, it doesn't seem to be a, "I had to run to the store at midnight for this emergency item" type thing. I see girls in bookstores, grocery stores, restaurants, wearing PJ pants at 12 noon, 3 PM, pretty much all day long. I'm not talking about cute yoga pants or anything like that - I'm talking items that are very clearly, very obviously pajama pants with little clouds or flying sheep or who knows what else printed on them. What is that about?

LizzieMaine said:
I don't mind the polo-and-khaki look at all -- I wish these guys who come to the theatre would try that hard. My complaint is with the whole "if it's good enough to wear to wash my car it's good enough for a night on the town" attitude that seems to dominate nowadays. If that's elitist, so be it.

Exactly. Case in point: a couple of weeks ago we went to a restaurant downtown for drinks. A couple walks in. The female half was dressed casual, but nicely - cute skirt, heeled sandals, fitted t-shirt with cute scalloped collar, jewelry, matching bag, etc. The male half looked like he had just barely managed to drag himself out of bed (or a dumpster) to get there. He was wearing some type of sports jersey that appeared to be about 2 sizes too large, wrinkled shorts falling down past his knees, cheap rubber flip flops, and was unshaven. I would be surprised to find a hairbrush or a comb anywhere in his domicile. Again, what is that about? I don't get it. Really, 15 minutes of effort to shave, comb the hair and throw on a pair of slacks and a clean shirt that doesn't have a big brightly colored number on it. What's so difficult and off-putting about that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80