Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An invitation to dress down.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
Slippers, pajamas and lingerie are infiltrating the public world. If you think about the hedgehog hair that many people sport, they have made their lives extremely easy. Roll out of bed. Put on slippers. Walk out door.
What's next? Will they drink their coffee from sippy cups? Will they keep the soap on a rope around their necks? Will they cruise into work wearing the one piece pajamas with feet built into them so they can save the time it takes to put on slippers? :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

lol lol lol

Oh my gosh, your post made me laugh so hard!

Feraud

Bartender
jamespowers said:
What's next? Will they drink their coffee from sippy cups?
Do you mean you have never seen anyone travel to work on a bus or train drinking coffee from a mug?
I kid you not. NY should be renamed the "I'll do it" state. It seems some idiot has tried anything you can imagine.

I suppose someone somewhere has tried just about anything I might mention. :D
All of this has made me think that adults are really putting off growing up more and more. It shows in their dress and lifestyle. The last time I went outside the house in pajamas was probably never. I wasn't allowed to go out without being dressed in some fashion. I never went anywhere outside the house wearing slippers either. [huh] Sippy cups were not a big thing when I was growing up so we drank from a regular cup.
Gee, when I think about it they are worse than children. :eek: They are more like the children in Lord of the Flies. No adult supervision---wait, they are adults. :eusa_doh: So much for men/women children out there. [huh]
Now I understand the phrase dress like a man. :D Dad was right. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
fortworthgal said:
Exactly. Case in point: a couple of weeks ago we went to a restaurant downtown for drinks. A couple walks in. The female half was dressed casual, but nicely - cute skirt, heeled sandals, fitted t-shirt with cute scalloped collar, jewelry, matching bag, etc. The male half looked like he had just barely managed to drag himself out of bed (or a dumpster) to get there. He was wearing some type of sports jersey that appeared to be about 2 sizes too large, wrinkled shorts falling down past his knees, cheap rubber flip flops, and was unshaven. I would be surprised to find a hairbrush or a comb anywhere in his domicile. Again, what is that about? I don't get it. Really, 15 minutes of effort to shave, comb the hair and throw on a pair of slacks and a clean shirt that doesn't have a big brightly colored number on it. What's so difficult and off-putting about that?

I think it is at least partly a matter of self-esteem, or a lack thereof. If you dress like a slob, there are no expectations. If you even try to look presentable, you are opening yourself up for criticism. Some people just take the easy way out, and shrug off criticism for being a slob as indifference and claim to eschew any form of style. In reality the indifference is completely feigned, and they are simply afraid of the reaction any deviation from the norm may cause in their peers. It's a much easier way to live!

It also seems that those people are the first to criticize, usually under the rubric that it is easier to raise your own self-esteem by criticizing others than to make improvements in yourself.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
NBA Orders (not invites) Players to Dress Up (not down)

Maj.Nick Danger said:
Really!? :eek: Or are ya just pullin' my leg? lol
But if it's really so,...how would these guys interpret "professional attire" other than what they wear when they are working? :eusa_doh:

From the website of the NBA:

1. General Policy: Business Casual
Players are required to wear Business Casual attire whenever they are engaged in team or league business.

"Business Casual" attire means

A long or short-sleeved dress shirt (collared or turtleneck), and/or a sweater.
Dress slacks, khaki pants, or dress jeans.
Appropriate shoes and socks, including dress shoes, dress boots, or other presentable shoes, but not including sneakers, sandals, flip-flops, or work boots.

2. Exceptions to Business Casual

There are the following exceptions to the general policy of Business Casual attire:

a. Players In Attendance At Games But Not In Uniform

Players who are in attendance at games but not in uniform are required to wear the following additional items when seated on the bench or in the stands during the game:

Sport Coat
Dress shoes or boots, and socks
b. Players Leaving the Arena

Players leaving the arena may wear either Business Casual attire or neat warm-up suits issued by their teams.

c. Special Events or Appearances

Teams can make exceptions to the Business Casual policy for special events or player appearances where other attire is appropriate -- e.g., participation in a basketball clinic.

3. Excluded Items

The following is a list of items that players are not allowed to wear at any time while on team or league business:

Sleeveless shirts
Shorts
T-shirts, jerseys, or sports apparel (unless appropriate for the event (e.g., a basketball clinic), team-identified, and approved by the team)
Headgear of any kind while a player is sitting on the bench or in the stands at a game, during media interviews, or during a team or league event or appearance (unless appropriate for the event or appearance, team-identified, and approved by the team) :(
Chains, pendants, or medallions worn over the player's clothes
Sunglasses while indoors
Headphones (other than on the team bus or plane, or in the team locker room)

6StringShooter

One of the Regulars
casual attire...take 2

My apologies for the previous thread "casual attire"...I'm still getting used to the whole searching-or-old-threads thing. I read through Matt Deckard's response where he stated
Gab shirts, sometimes jeans and more casual gab trousers. plaid shirts were pretty in. you see the occasional stripey t-shirt on the younger set that is playing around the house.
from
HTML:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=8280
What is a "gab" shirt (and "gab" trousers for that matter)? Would a plaid shirt from the '30s and '40s be similar to a plaid shirt today in pattern? Would any of you folks have a pic of a vintage plaid shirt? Could the "stripey t-shirt" be in reference to the "jailbird" horizontal striped t-shirts on some '50s retro sites or something similar? Thanks so much, and sorry about bogging down the board (I'm new :) )!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Slippers, pajamas and lingerie are infiltrating the public world. If you think about the hedgehog hair that many people sport, they have made their lives extremely easy. Roll out of bed. Put on slippers. Walk out door.
It's a NY thing, I think. Vinnie the Chin Gigante, the supposedly crazy mob boss, entered his dotage strolling thru the village in a robe and pjs. He even showed up for a court date that way.

Personally, I'd rather people slept in their street clothes. At least there's a tradition of doing that.

21729.jpg

Toronto, early 1930s.

acoustics

New in Town
It's the same in Australia!

I am a PhD student and just a couple of days ago, I met another departmental colleague, who asked me why I was so dressed up. I was just wearing a tie that day. Looking around the department, I could see why I stood up. Everyone else was just wearing bermuda shorts and T-shirts. I am looking forward to their reactions when I start turning up in my peacoat and hat when the weather becomes cooler!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
What an age we live in!

Funny to think you're in summer there while we're bracing for more sub freezing weather here. The internet sure shrinks the world up! You guys are inspiring me. I used to wear my 40's ties all the time, but after they moved our offices to a more "downscale" neighborhood, I haven't. I'm going to start again. And having left my nice brown fedora in a cab last year (yes, I'm still kicking myself) I'm going to get a new one at Bencraft Hatters in Brooklyn this weekend. Let's patronize our advertisers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80