Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

Fisherman

New in Town
Here's one of my grandpa from immediately post-WW2.

I don't know what hat it is but you can see he's wearing his M43 double buckle combat boots and HBT trousers with a button down shirt. And if anyone can identify the gun, let me know. :)

G-pa001.jpg

I have another one of him (framed at the moment) from the early 1950s wearing what strangely looks like a Stetson Whippet. :eek:

Not sure of the hat either but might be able to help you identify the rifle. I think it might be a Mossberg model 152K 22 long rifle. Just a guess but it looks like one.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
My Great-grandfather West is the man in the three piece suit and the cap, standing with his leg up on the step on the front of the locomotive. He worked for the Lehigh and New England RR (in the coal regions of eastern Pennsylvania), and was a trainmaster. This photo was taken in the '30s, I think, but could be as late as the '40s. It could conceivably be as early as the '20s, but it would have to be the late '20s, judging by my Great-grandfather's age. That locomotive was built in 1922, and would have served well into the '50s, if not until the road was abandoned in 1960. Perhaps experts in the clothes can help narrow it down.

I wish the quality of the photo was better, but the original, which is excellent condition, is behind glass and I don't want to unseal the frame to copy it.

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
Not sure of the hat either but might be able to help you identify the rifle. I think it might be a Mossberg model 152K 22 long rifle. Just a guess but it looks like one.

I think you're right. My dad had one. It had the hinged stock. The magazine held 5 rounds if I remember correctly.

Fisherman

New in Town
I think you're right. My dad had one. It had the hinged stock. The magazine held 5 rounds if I remember correctly.

Came with a 10 round mag. We have one. I need to order some parts for it. There are some larger capacity mags for it and I might order a couple.

frussell

One Too Many
A few I recently came across.
My grandfather with Robert Taylor - great Hollywood cowboy hats.
Frank and actor Robert Taylor.jpg
Same grandpa as a young man, doing rope tricks in a sombrero.
FMB young sombrero.jpg
Riding out of the stables with some pretty ladies.
FMB group riding out of stables.jpg
Great grandfather, photo says NYC, would have been pre-1910
henry kneeland bogert- NY City copy.jpg
Same man, in his working rancher threads. I believe we still have the woolly chaps.
Dad Bogert and horse.jpg
Great grandfather's car. Can anyone identify this contraption? He put his brand all over it, the Three Half Circle brand, same as on his horse in the above photo.
HK Bogert, boys and his car.jpg
HKBogert's car.jpg

Last edited:

DOGMAN

One Too Many
frussell,cool pics.My mother was born in Bakersfield. I have seen pics of her brothers that remind me of your pics.Wish I had them now.

frussell

One Too Many
Thanks guys. I'm lucky to have had family on my mother's side that always seemed to document their lives in photos. We even have some of their portraits that their forbears did before photos were an option. My grandfather left file cabinets full of this stuff. The other side of my family, not so much as a handful of photos, most of which have been lost. I've got a few things that belonged to my great grandfather, including his saddle, Colt revolver, and other horse tack. Wish I had some of those hats, but they'd be too small anyway. Big as he was, Grandpa never wore more than a 7 1/4. Frank

Studebaker Driver

One of the Regulars
frussell, I probably will eventually be able to identify your great grandfather's truck, I suspect it may have begun life as a fire truck. Its important features are the seating positions of driver and passenger along side the hood. At the front is an extension with wooden drive pulley, almost certainly the source of power for a belt-driven circular saw used to cut wood and toss into the commodious wood box on the back. Very cool photos, thanks for posting them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav