Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Great images! You're proof that kids look great in fedoras. Yeah, that would be wonderful to have that hat now.

Andy

job

One Too Many
So you've been taking pictures of you in hats since 1971. You got me beat. Emmm a new thread. Whats the oldest pic of you wearing a hat.

Alanfgag's avatar is already in contention for one of the oldest here, although not a Matthew Brady shot. I have a few from way back in the early 70's myself, but I wasn't as young as Mark or Alan at the time of those photos. Good idea, JOB! (How's the boy?)

job

One Too Many
I think Alan's is Photoshopped. He's well Charlie. I need to get some more shots of us after church. He's grown a lot actually.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Finally catching up on Forum reading.

I wanted to contribute a pic of my Grandfather and I in the very early 60's below:

i-DjdsHz6-M.jpg

I was told that the pic was taken as my Grandfather arrived home from his Transport business in the Northern Minnesota area. I have no details on the hat he is wearing. Behind the backyard tennis court you can see a wood conversion factory. A working man/family made good, but not leaving the neighborhood. My grandparents hard hard won success, but worked as hard not showing gains or showing respect to their community. I know from my Grandmother that my Grandfathers prized hat was a Stetson in a dark grey. Try as much as I like to be like Grandfather I do not make the grade in many ways. One way is that he was nearly 6" tall. Now way - never going to happen. I will have to choose to put all my energies into being honest, loyal and industrious.

Best, Short Balding Eric -

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
"honest, loyal and industrious" is enough to make you a giant to me.

I envy you guys these family pics. I have yet to come across one of me that's worthy.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Eric, that's a great picture. Thanks for sharing the story and the bit of history behind it.

Job's comment about the oldest picture in a hat had me looking through old family slides again, and I found a handful. The oldest is from 1967 and is terribly overexposed, but this is me back then:

1967 Sheppard AFB, TX.jpg

I won't add the handful of others I found since they aren't older than that. Fun thinking back on the memories, though.

Even if originally slightly overexposed, that slide could have begun the long slow fade to white, depending on how you have them stored, Mark. Keep them cool and DRY (but you probably already know that). And depending on what type of film, the fading can occur at different rates, but they will fade.

GREAT shot, cowboy!!

Knotten

Practically Family
This one is from July 1963, when I was a 4-year-old boy living in Norway. I post this because of the cool hat my grandfather is wearing, and because of what appears to be some sort of Chia Pet on my mother.
IMG_0005.jpg

TPD166

One Too Many
I originally posted these pics in The Non Shorpy Web All Stars thread, but maybe this is the more appropriate place for them. These are photos of my Great Uncle, Charlie Howard, from Corbin, KY - in his short life he served in the Army, was a working cowboy, ran a family hotel & pool hall, and worked as a police officer.

This is likely at the time was working for the Swan Land & Cattle Co. near Chugwater, Wyoming, about 1913-16.

Here is another photo, likely in the same time period.

He had good taste in hats!

Charlie Howard and his son, in front of Charlie's father's hotel, in Corbin, KY, 1925.

He worked as a City Policeman in his hometown of Corbin starting around 1922 and was killed in the line of duty there in June of 1933.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=sh&GRid=7476455

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
I originally posted these pics in The Non Shorpy Web All Stars thread, but maybe this is the more appropriate place for them. These are photos of my Great Uncle, Charlie Howard, from Corbin, KY - in his short life he served in the Army, was a working cowboy, ran a family hotel & pool hall, and worked as a police officer.

This is likely at the time was working for the Swan Land & Cattle Co. near Chugwater, Wyoming, about 1913-16.

Here is another photo, likely in the same time period.

He had good taste in hats!

Charlie Howard and his son, in front of Charlie's father's hotel, in Corbin, KY, 1925.

He worked as a City Policeman in his hometown of Corbin starting around 1922 and was killed in the line of duty there in June of 1933.
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=sh&GRid=7476455

Wow, those are some great photos. At 42 he was a young man to go in the line of duty ambushed while handling a disturbance call.

bassfiddlesteve

New in Town
Here's a picture of my grandfather Benjamin Lobou with his straw boater. This was taken in New York, probably in the early 1920's. I like how most of the men in the background have boaters too.

10398732_1203874063423_7194119_n.jpg

- Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner