Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ancestor hat pics

RBH

Bartender
Another photo of my Great Grand Father AP Dodd from Athens Alabama from the early 1950's I think.

patdodd1yy7.jpg

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Here's my contribution- I believe this is my great aunt and a friend of hers strolling around Derby, UK:

115155652_jJYXt-M-3.jpg

One more, this one for the ladies- check out the wedding head gear. Again in Derby, early 1900s, my great grandparents.

115155542_MmQoZ-M-3.jpg

115155389_x3c9w-M-3.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JMB_hat.jpg

My great-uncle, James Madison Brown, (standing in back) and an unidentified friend of his. I'm not sure when this old picture was taken, but guessing his age in the photo, I'd say it was sometime in the mid to late 1890's.

I really like the looks of those hats and would like to have one like it, but have absolutely no idea where you would wear one, I'm afraid they are a style that's gone too far away.

Big Man

indycop said:
Great picture, He looks just like Jim Carrey!:)

You're right. I never thought/noticed that till now.

Uncle Jim was a Baptist preacher. He graduated from Berea College in the early 1890's, and went out west for a number of years. He returned home to NC in the 1920's, where he lived out the rest of his life (he died in 1952). It was said that he never really wanted to be a Baptist preacher, but that's what grandma Brown wanted - and she ALWAYS got what she wanted. ;)

Big Man

Dad_dec_1924.jpg

Another old "hat photo". This is my grandfather, Will Brown, holding my Dad. This photo was taken in December, 1924.

MDphoto

One of the Regulars
Being a photographer, I love looking at old photographs. This thread is just a lot of fun to look through. I need to go through the old family photos that I have and see if there are any good ones for this thread. Anyone know when I am able to post pictures?

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
file06873rb6.jpg

file07202oj2.jpg

My maternal great-grandfather, in the first pic in the late 30s- early 1940s and in the second, around 1948.

Maternal grandfather (This may the only time in his life he wore a hat--he never wore a hat, and it may only be because this was his 1950 Hack License Photo)
1952ys3.jpg

My dad, circa 1984
dadfedora2oa9.jpg

Big Man

Magus said:
Here is one of my great Uncle, Gov. William H. "Alfalfa Bill" Murray. The photo was taken most likely in the late 20's -early 30's. For more on him take a peek at.

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/M/MU014.html

MU014.jpg

Thanks for sharing. That's a great "hat photo", as well as a great story. I really enjoy reading about politicians of the 20's and 30's. They had "characters" back then, but today we only seem to have "weasels". [huh]

warbird

One Too Many
Magus said:
Here is one of my great Uncle, Gov. William H. "Alfalfa Bill" Murray. The photo was taken most likely in the late 20's -early 30's. For more on him take a peek at.

http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/M/MU014.html

MU014.jpg

That's a great hat and a good look too. I lovew the way he wears the hat, it reminds me of my grandfather. A classic western look of that time.

He was born in Toadsuck, TX. Dang, that's a good name. Wonder who ever thought of that name for a town.

Thanks for sharing.

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
MDphoto said:
Wow, they had some cool cars! I wonder why they went back to that spot to take the pics.

I didn't notice they were different cars! Ha! I wonder why. I doubt my dad knows though. Maybe it's a car dealership!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Great photos folks! I'll have to see if I can scare up a few of my Pop. He rarely ever wore a hat but I have one shot of him in the Army around 1951 that is my favorite picture of him. I'll try and post that tonight.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
As promised, my Pop circa 1951 in the woods outside of Heilbronn, Germany. My favorite photo of my Pop. If interested the camera he is holding is an Exacta VX made in the USSR Occupied Germany. It's still working to this day.

dadsnowarmy.jpg

Cheers!

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn