Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another interesting NZ jacket maker

Brettafett

One Too Many
You guys may be aware, but I just happened upon them.
Not cheap, but some interesting leather jackets here.... Of passing interest is their original TV series Battlestar Galactica jacket version...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, we know Magnoli's stuff. It's reasonably well made but, although he's based in NZ, the work is outsourced in China and India.

Yeah, we know Magnoli's stuff. It's reasonably well made but, although he's based in NZ, the work is outsourced in China and India.
Not taken with that stuff myself. Most of it looks like jackets you'd get if they sold them at Universal Studios or another TV/Films store. But if that's your thing, there's lots to choose from...

Maker is well known on the forums I visit.
As Seb notes, the business is based in NZ but the jackets are made in Pakistan (last I heard).
Have never purchased from them. Every design I've liked that they offer I've found other makers in the US or UK that I've purchased from before and know I like their work.

The owner used to post here....don't recall seeing him around for awhile.

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
NZ used to produce high quality fashion leather jackets as they have deer at pest levels, and naturally have a big wool industry so their vintage cold weather gear was always as good as it gets....and it seems they still have an industry http://www.nzleather.com/

That's true Dr Greg although clothing manufacturing back home has died off a lot (as it has in many first world countries). Kiwi icon Rodd & Gunn which back in the day made beautiful clothing and which was made in NZ has gone offshore to China for their manufacturing and sadly gone for a more "trendy" feel. Sad as they used to make wonderful classic outdoor clothing. I have one of their original moleskin jackets which I probably wear more than anything else and it's just brilliant.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago I had a Rodd and Gunn moleskin too but it looked pretty worn after just a year. Italian fabric, made in Asia. What was it the fabric or the workmanship.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
A few years ago I had a Rodd and Gunn moleskin too but it looked pretty worn after just a year. Italian fabric, made in Asia. What was it the fabric or the workmanship.

Sadly Seb, that's one of the new rubbish ones. The genuine, traditional R&G stuff stopped being made in NZ around a decade ago. I have one of the last Kiwi made moleskin jackets with the leather collar and have worn it well over (I'd imagine) 1,500 times in NZ, Oz, Norway and Chile over the last 11 or so years and apart from the lining getting a little frayed it's brilliant. I might post some pics here when I get a chance. Their old moleskin trousers are great as well, I have a pair which I mostly used for fishing and hunting (how appropriate ;) ) in Norway and they are still in great nick after 10 odd years. If you can find the original R&G offerings, it's well worth it. Light years different from the current and recent pieces.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany