Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Way to Size Down (One Size)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I recently won this brand new Stratton Campaign Hat, for a great price. It was listed as Navy Blue, but seems to be Forest Green/Leaf. It was also supposed to be 7 1/8, but turned out to be 7 1/4, one size too big!

P1050612.jpg

The seller did not have another, so I decided to keep it. Normally I would take the hat apart, soak it in cold water, and reblock it using a belt to "compress" the crown to the proper size; then put it back together. However, that doesn't work if you can't get the stiffener out. So I resorted to a trick I had used before. I sewed in another sweatband, on top of the factory one. I used the existing holes, with the stitches spaced three holes apart. (Here, I'm sewing a padded fabric band on top of the stock leather sweat.)

P1050619.jpg

You can use any size sweatband. You may end up with a gap in back (as here), or with an overlap; but when sewn in, it will reduce the size almost exactly one size.

P1050627.jpg

Not only does it result in a good fit, it also feels a LOT more comfortable than with shims under the sweatband.

P1050626.jpg

Here's the one I had to do this with, last year. It's a little more time consuming than felt strips, but not nearly as big a job as rebuilding the hat!

P1050621.jpg

It's also REVERSIBLE (quickly and easily), should you ever want to return to the original hat size.

Stoney

Practically Family
That's a really neat idea JT. I like the idea that the process is reversible, just remove inner sweatband. this way you can keep the original sweatband, with markings, intact in case you were to sell it later on.

bravo!

driven_247

New in Town
That's a fantastic idea! Thanks.

Now I have a question. You performed that modification to the two different hats at different times. I suspect you took the pictures of the two hats at the same time for the purpose of the thread; I noticed you seem to be wearing the same shirt. But... I also see that one of the wall hangings is missing in the first picture.

Not that any of this matters... but what's going on here? [huh] :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
driven_247 said:
That's a fantastic idea! Thanks.

Now I have a question. You performed that modification to the two different hats at different times. I suspect you took the pictures of the two hats at the same time for the purpose of the thread; I noticed you seem to be wearing the same shirt. But... I also see that one of the wall hangings is missing in the first picture.

Not that any of this matters... but what's going on here? [huh] :D

They were taken the same day. I took several shots with each hat, then chose the best. Some were made with two paintings in the background, some with just one. (This left the picture hanging hook standing out "like a sore thumb," right behind my head. So, I erased it, using PHOTOSHOP ELEMENTS 2.0.)

Thanks for noticing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy