Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anybody Else Collect Sewing Machines?

Chainsaw

Suspended
There's a couple here older than Moses of course. Ones an industrial model, used for embroidery. Can't get the picture option working though. I have a plethora of crests starting from the 50's too. I had wanted to contribute them to a museum or something.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
1912 singer
4e174e05.jpg

50s or 60s domestic. i've been trying to find a manual for this for years!
9480ecaa.jpg

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix I love the styling of your 1960's Domestic, the dials look like a car radio.
Does it have a model number? I've had a look for the manual on the internet but as you, can't find it.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Electro Grand

Anyone have any information Electro Grand machines? We picked on e up at a yard sale for $7.00. It says made in Japan and has a sticker that says Electro Hygiene Dayton, Ohio. It folds into a table. I will get some pics soon. My wife is cleaning it and trying to figure out why it sparks and smokes so much.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
White Sewing Machine Corp. "The Dressmaster"

I never heard of this brand, but I really don't know much about any of them. I have to google some research, but I was wondering if anyone here might know something about them? I found this yesterday for $10, working order. It had a "Make an offer" sticker on it, but I felt guilty trying to get it for less than that. ;)

whitesewingmach4.jpg
whitesewingmach3.jpg
whitesewingmach2.jpg
whitesewingmach1.jpg
whitesewingmach5.jpg
whitesewingmach6.jpg
whitesewingmach.jpg
whitesewingmach7.jpg

DStuttgen

New in Town
My Mother's Singer

When my mother passed in 2006 I laid claim to her old Singer sewing machine. I believe she told me that it was won as a 4H prize. I am not sure of the age of this machine but my mom was born in 1918 so I am thinking somewhere in the 1930's.
Cheers, Dan
img0210hc.jpg

img0211o.jpg

DStuttgen

New in Town
Not quite as old as I had thought

BoPeep said:
Hey, Dan - great Singer. Definitely worth keeping. Looks like a 99K to me. I have one from '57, and it works great. Check out http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html to date your machine using the serial number. They'll give you manufacture date and plant location.

I had thought my mom said she won the machine in 4H, hmmm. I found a piece of tape inside with Mom's handwriting...the date of March 2, 1959. Found the manual inside also. I hadn't opened that sewing machine up since I was about 14 when I made a shirt for my nephew. Mom helped with the button hole attachment ( which I have also).
Dan

Register Numbers Class Quantity Date Year
Letter From To (Model No.) Allotted Allotted Allotted
AM- 263461 288460 99 25000 October 21 1955

El

New in Town
If you look at the Head Logo you will see what it look like it is attached with 2nails or screws, perhaps put by someone that wanted a diferent name for it.
It is a White Machine for sure and in very noce shape, I have 2, both on a Martha Washington Cabinets.
I will try to attach a picture of both, in the Machine photo the T-Plate is off, as I was cleaning the Machine. Be sure to keep it they are very hard to find.
I'm very glad for you, you got a nice machine, if you do not have a Manual on ISMACS, there is a Manual for it.
Here is the site for the Manual. http://www.ismacs.net/white/manuals/white-rotary.pdf is 7.89 MB.
I try to add an Image, but do not have the pictures on an URL, sorry, so I can't post them.
El in South Carolina, where is VERY HOT.....

bolthead said:
I never heard of this brand, but I really don't know much about any of them. I have to google some research, but I was wondering if anyone here might know something about them? I found this yesterday for $10, working order. It had a "Make an offer" sticker on it, but I felt guilty trying to get it for less than that. ;)

59Lark

Practically Family
WHITE CLEVELAND OHIO AND SINGER 99K

THE WHITE ROTARY was a very strong machine and the unusual factor is that is spins backwards the flywheel runs counter clock wise, i just restored a 1918 version with pretty guildwork decals and back then it also took special needles ''fr needles which i still had 1930 stock in paper envelopes. 'the machine is different to thread and the bobbins are fairly large. I have a couple them in my cemetry for parts. 'we also have original manuals in my filing cabinets. The singer 99k , the k stands for kilbowie singer factory clydebank scotland. The 99 dash 13 started out as a small 3/4 size head as handcrank in the early 1900s . by the fifties they had reverse, pot lamp on back and pretty gold decals and actually a riveted model no badge. the model was revamped for the sixties with a new exterior look and a fifites sixties green and renamed the 285k . It looks like your 99k could need a new cord double lead cord still available about 18. a new bobbin winder tire
and if you ever need a belt still available part no 193077 about ten bucks. 59LARK the dinosaur of singer sewingmachines and most others. ps the domestic was marketed by white as well have seen the same machine decked out as a white.
the white sewing machine co stopped making their own machine in cleveland as 1950 and strictly imported machines from japan. :eek: :eek:fftopic:

bolthead

El said:
If you look at the Head Logo you will see what it look like it is attached with 2nails or screws, perhaps put by someone that wanted a diferent name for it.
It is a White Machine for sure and in very noce shape, I have 2, both on a Martha Washington Cabinets.
I will try to attach a picture of both, in the Machine photo the T-Plate is off, as I was cleaning the Machine. Be sure to keep it they are very hard to find.
I'm very glad for you, you got a nice machine, if you do not have a Manual on ISMACS, there is a Manual for it.
Here is the site for the Manual. http://www.ismacs.net/white/manuals/white-rotary.pdf is 7.89 MB.
I try to add an Image, but do not have the pictures on an URL, sorry, so I can't post them.
El in South Carolina, where is VERY HOT.....

bolthead said:

Thanks a ton for the pdf file, much appreciated, now, can you find me one for my very old singer? :D

bolthead

bolthead said:
I picked this one up for $25, heck all the cast iron alone is worth more than that. :D

It's in working condition, although the belt is frayed pretty bad. I don't know if it's supposed to look like this, (no deck), or if there's parts missing.

I went to the singer site to try and find another one like it, but no luck. I never seen one this old before.

I'm trying to find a pdf file on how to thread it and the bobbin, but not having much luck.

I'm hoping that someone here might be able to help me out. Does anyone know how old it might be? Thanks.

DSC04844.jpg
DSC04845.jpg
DSC04847.jpg
DSC04846.jpg
DSC04848.jpg
DSC04849.jpg
DSC04850.jpg
DSC04851.jpg

El, here's the singer in question, a walking foot singer 29-4.

El

New in Town
Check this site: http://safemanuals.com/zearch_826.php
It will show many Free Singer Manuals, yours is there.

Is Safe to Open, when the page comes out, look on the right side, click the 29-4, a Page will open, next another page, click Download the complete user guide (376 Ko), on next page, Click The Last Start /10, they will show in Red, then at the bottom will show, Download the user guide, Save it on your desktop.

They are other Manuals for Sewing machines, if any others need a Sewing Machine Manual or any for any other thing, this is the Main Page URL
http://safemanuals.com/
On the right side, look on Search by Brand.

Hope that will help you and any other Member.
Good Luck everyone.
El in South Carolina, where still Very Hot.

PS: This is a Plea, I need some Feet for my Singer 301, is Slant Machine, so it uses Slant Feet's, I buy cheap machines, fix them and donate then free to those that can buy a new one, I also can use ant feet, cams etc for any machine, as I have 3 that need some.
If any of you have some for sale (or Free) Please let me know, also a way to communicate directly with the Members in case some have some that I could use, not sure if this can be done on this Group.
By for now.

Thanks a ton for the pdf file, much appreciated, now, can you find me one for my very old singer? :D[/QUOTE]

bolthead

El said:
Check this site: http://safemanuals.com/zearch_826.php
It will show many Free Singer Manuals, yours is there.

Is Safe to Open, when the page comes out, look on the right side, click the 29-4, a Page will open, next another page, click Download the complete user guide (376 Ko), on next page, Click The Last Start /10, they will show in Red, then at the bottom will show, Download the user guide, Save it on your desktop.

They are other Manuals for Sewing machines, if any others need a Sewing Machine Manual or any for any other thing, this is the Main Page URL
http://safemanuals.com/
On the right side, look on Search by Brand.

Hope that will help you and any other Member.
Good Luck everyone.
El in South Carolina, where still Very Hot.

PS: This is a Plea, I need some Feet for my Singer 301, is Slant Machine, so it uses Slant Feet's, I buy cheap machines, fix them and donate then free to those that can buy a new one, I also can use ant feet, cams etc for any machine, as I have 3 that need some.
If any of you have some for sale (or Free) Please let me know, also a way to communicate directly with the Members in case some have some that I could use, not sure if this can be done on this Group.
By for now.

Thanks a ton for the pdf file, much appreciated, now, can you find me one for my very old singer? :D

thanks El, and I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you.

ps. I did search for mine, but it wasn't there. Did you say you seen it?

El

New in Town
Bolthed: Yes is there, this is the URL, click on it and the page should open for you.
http://safemanuals.com/zearch_826.php

I just checked for you, is on the Second Line, reads 29-4
Checked again, I just copy the first 2 lines of the manuals, is right after the one that reads 1748, just click on the 29-4 and follow with the starts.
If you still have problems let me know, I will download it to my desk top, but I don't know how I could send it to you directly.

SINGER 201K SEWING MACHINE QUANTUM 9940 SINGER COMPACT STEAM PRESS CSP1 1748 29-4 SINGER 14SH654 FUTURA CE-200 5808C SINGER 98-3
There are more singer manuals bellow those.
Let me know if you were able to find it OK.
El.

bolthead said:
thanks El, and I'll be sure to keep an eye out for you.

ps. I did search for mine, but it wasn't there. Did you say you seen it?

bolthead

Got It....

El said:
Bolthed: Yes is there, this is the URL, click on it and the page should open for you.
http://safemanuals.com/zearch_826.php

I just checked for you, is on the Second Line, reads 29-4
Checked again, I just copy the first 2 lines of the manuals, is right after the one that reads 1748, just click on the 29-4 and follow with the starts.
If you still have problems let me know, I will download it to my desk top, but I don't know how I could send it to you directly.

SINGER 201K SEWING MACHINE QUANTUM 9940 SINGER COMPACT STEAM PRESS CSP1 1748 29-4 SINGER 14SH654 FUTURA CE-200 5808C SINGER 98-3
There are more singer manuals bellow those.
Let me know if you were able to find it OK.
El.

Thanks again El. ;)

chalkdust

New in Town
Some information about your Domestic machine

sixsexsix said:
50s or 60s domestic. i've been trying to find a manual for this for years!
9480ecaa.jpg

To sixsexsix, regarding your mystery Domestic sewing machine… your machine was manufactured in Germany around 1957 by one of the great German sewing machine manufacturers, Gritzner, founded in 1872. This particular machine, and others similar to it, were sold in the US under several names. It is a very fine sewing machine, very smooth, quiet, and strong. It takes “high-shank” industrial presser feet, and uses the class-15 oscillating hook and bobbin.

The White sewing machine company sold a beautiful deep green version dubbed the Model 651 around 1956-67.

Sears sold the machine from about 1956 through 1959. It was known as the Kenmore Model 117.740 (1956 – metallic blue-gray), and then with a change in styling, as the 117-840, 117-841, and 117-842, the latter three in a two-tone copper-red and yellow color scheme.

Pfaff, another more well known German sewing machine manufacturer, purchased Gritzner circa 1958. Pfaff sold a version of this Gritzner machine as the Pfaff 139. It was similar to the above models except that it didn’t have provision to use interchangeable stitch-cams.

A manual for any of the above machines will serve you well, except that the Pfaff 139 manual won’t cover the use of the interchangeable cams.

You can purchase a copy of the kenmore 841 manuals, both the owner manual and the service manual at:

http://pages.sewing-machine-manuals.com/173/InventoryPage/1834166/1.html

You can purchase a download pdf copy of the White 651 service manual at:

http://www.sewingmanuals.com/Sewing_Machine_Manuals/White_Service.htm

You can watch a couple YouTube videos also…

1957 Kenmore Model 84 Sewing Machine 117.842
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Smt2sQhiQ

PFAFF 139 HEAVY DUTY 1.3 AMP SEWING MACHINE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwH_1gXSe-A&feature=related

This may be more than you ever wanted to know… I have one the Kenmore versions, and it is one of my favorite machines.

FountainPenGirl

One of the Regulars
There were a lot of what was called badge machines. Companies like Singer, White, National, and so on all made machines for other companies, catalog retailers, department stores and so on that put their own name on them. So you find machines that are indentifiable as specific brands and models but have names you never heard of.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I've wanted an older sewing machine for a while (we have a modern plastic thing that's awful). All I need for myself is a straight line, but as I sew for my wife and she uses the machine sometimes, we wanted a machine that could do some other stitches. We found a lovely one a while ago, but it was out of our price range.

Then, earlier today, we stumble upon a Husqvarna Automatic 21A from 1959. I've used modern machines, old machines and industrial, and this is better than any domestic machine I've ever used. Great build quality, plenty of basic features, fantastic speed.. I'm thrilled. It's in perfect working order, everything is intact except for a can of oil, and we even got two copies of the manual!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran