Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone ever owned or worn an Alpha A-2?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just curious if anyone here has ever worn an Alpha A-2, or known someone that has owned one.

I am looking for an inexpensive A-2 to experiment with, but want one that is decent. After seeing the leather Alpha jackets in Germany, as well as the satin jackets, I am convinced that they are of above average quality...at a very reasonable price.

Another one with potential is San Diego Leather Company. Inexpensive, and they can do what I want as far as customizing goes.

Any comments?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Just looking at the the examples on San Diego's website, I would seriously caution against it. You can see that they've cut and pasted the model's head on to the jackets which is always a bad start. As a rule of thumb, when it comes to jackets, you pretty much get what you pay for. If I was you, I'd save for something a little better, you won't regret it. As the saying goes: buy cheap, pay twice.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just looking at the the examples on San Diego's website, I would seriously caution against it. You can see that they've cut and pasted the model's head on to the jackets which is always a bad start. As a rule of thumb, when it comes to jackets, you pretty much get what you pay for. If I was you, I'd save for something a little better, you won't regret it. As the saying goes: buy cheap, pay twice.

I would go to visit the factory (San Diego) before making a purchase. I was impressed with the Alpha leather jackets. Trying to get military patches sewn on without sewing through the lining...this has to be done at the time the jacket is made. Or, take the lining out of a ready made jacket, but that can get labor intensive ($$$).

San Diego leather has been very responsive...way better than my favorite company, G&B, and better than US Wings.

Another company being looked at is Leather Coats Etc. www.leathercoatsetc.com

I will visit a local leather shop here in Dallas tomorrow. He said the patches can be sewn on, without sewing the lining, for about $10 each. This is why the Alpha A-2 is under consideration. The jacket is a gift...can't spend big bucks (400 plus), so my budget is 300 +/-.

Last edited:

atomjet58

Familiar Face
Has anyone ever seen an Alpha horsehide A-2?
There seem to be very few pictures of Alpha A-2s and they don't give much of an idea of the color or texture of the jackets. I wish
more people who have the less expensive jackets would post pictures of them particularly in outdoor lighting which usually gives a better idea of color. Most higher priced jacket makers go to the trouble of posting better photos and it makes a big difference.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
There seem to be very few pictures of Alpha A-2s and they don't give much of an idea of the color or texture of the jackets. I wish
more people who have the less expensive jackets would post pictures of them particularly in outdoor lighting which usually gives a better idea of color. Most higher priced jacket makers go to the trouble of posting better photos and it makes a big difference.

I have tried on several Alpha leather jackets, not an A-2 however. Very impressed at the quality overall. The photos online do not do the jackets justice.

kasa7

Familiar Face

Tomorrow I'll put some photos of a Seal Brown HH from US Authentics

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Alpha makes a leather MA-1. An older example just sold on e-Bay and it looked really good in the photos. However, the closeups of the current examples suggest the leather has more a dull finish and of course they now have an embossed Alpha logo on the left breast!!!! Of course, the A-2s are a different animal but it's obvious that their leather MA-1 has been downgraded.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Alpha makes a leather MA-1. An older example just sold on e-Bay and it looked really good in the photos. However, the closeups of the current examples suggest the leather has more a dull finish and of course they now have an embossed Alpha logo on the left breast!!!! Of course, the A-2s are a different animal but it's obvious that their leather MA-1 has been downgraded.

That is a major gripe with me...the Alpha logo permanently embossed. The Alpha leather CWU 45/P jackets I tried on were quite nice, but had the removable Alpha "name tag" stuck on with velcro. At least you can get a custom name tag to put on.

Their A-2's look very nice in the photos. But then, they all look good in online pictures.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Alpha A-2

Alpha A-2.jpg

Edward

Bartender
I would go to visit the factory (San Diego) before making a purchase. I was impressed with the Alpha leather jackets. Trying to get military patches sewn on without sewing through the lining...this has to be done at the time the jacket is made. Or, take the lining out of a ready made jacket, but that can get labor intensive ($$$).

San Diego leather has been very responsive...way better than my favorite company, G&B, and better than US Wings.

Another company being looked at is Leather Coats Etc. www.leathercoatsetc.com

I will visit a local leather shop here in Dallas tomorrow. He said the patches can be sewn on, without sewing the lining, for about $10 each. This is why the Alpha A-2 is under consideration. The jacket is a gift...can't spend big bucks (400 plus), so my budget is 300 +/-.

Are you set on not having the stitching sewn through the lining? I ask because (based on all the examples I've seen, at least) the original A2s that carried patches were all stitching-through-the lining back in the day - bear in mind that the patches were added later as, effectively, a field mod, not an as-issue specc-ed thing. If you're concerned about authenticity on that front, no need to go to the expense. Of course, if that isn't an issue, having them stitched to the outer panels of the jacket before lining does make replacing the lining at a later stage much simpler.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My only venture into Alpha leather was a B3 (made in Korea) which went on the bay the day my ELC Irvin was received. On reflection though, it wasn't a bad jacket for the money. :)

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
A local tailor in Dallas with a leather specialty (A-2's, Biker Jackets, patches everywhere!), quoted me $65 to pull the lining, sew the 9 patches on, and re-stitch the interior. I do not want the lining sewn to the patch. Personal problem, I guess.

Found an Alpha for the magic number...under $200.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
All the best with that one dude, cheaper than what I pay around here :)

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
TXFlyGuy said:
Well...all sold out in size "M" and "L". Both the G-1 and A-2 are gone. Back to square one.
Check on The Bay since even if Alpha is sold out other retailers and re-sellers might still have stock (in fact they often do).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen