Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

anyone experience with david morgan?

r.l.parker

New in Town
...David Morgan suggests that if you are between sizes, you should order the next larger. In this felt, I believe you should go the other way. My experience anyway.

Woodfluter, thanks for the suggestion and the benefit of your experience.

This is another reason I hesitate to order a hat online. Up until about a year ago, there was a hat shop in a nearby town. I bought 3 or 4 hats from them over the few years that I've been wearing hats. The selection wasn't great, and I always had the suspicion that I was paying a premium for the hats that I bought there, but it was nice to be able to try on the hat before I bought it!

The hat that fits me best is a Stefano 58, so I expect I'll order that size and hope for the best.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the charcoal and heritage fawn colors for my first one. Is that how you ended up with two? :)

Regards,
R.L.

Woodfluter

Practically Family
The hat that fits me best is a Stefano 58, so I expect I'll order that size and hope for the best.

Yep, that should be good I think. I know it would be better to have a hat store nearby but they're just so scarce these days. Morgan will be fine about returns and at worst, you'd be out some shipping cost.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the charcoal and heritage fawn colors for my first one. Is that how you ended up with two? :)

Yep, you're right. The charcoal was my first Akubra. It was size 60 and I worked hard to deliberately shrink it a bit with water and hair dryer, protecting the sweatband and hatband with aluminum foil. Most modern hats would shrink from that repeated torture treatment, but I only got a small reduction in size. Still, I like it and wear it - as long as it isn't too windy.

Later I got the fawn in 59 which fits just right. It's been soaked quite a few times - one of my go-to hats for field work or knocking around because it's replaceable. Just hung it up and let it dry, and no change in size. I think you'll be happy with either color...or both!

Last edited:

Walt

One of the Regulars
Thus far I have only bought one hat from them, an Adventurer when they had the stock of hats that differed from the usual speck and I liked it over the regular one. Totally positive experience.

I can't imagine you would have any problems with them as a retailer. If they have a model you want go for it.

I, like many on here, only wish they carried more of the open crown models, but there is always the online Australia stores for that.

Walt

One of the Regulars
If you have a brick and morter store that carries something you want I would try to support them whenever possible. Of course their prices will always be higher than online or discount outlets but unless it is ridiculously higher I would buy from them as often as possible otherwise such stores will go out of business or stop carrying the products you want.

I have ordered for David Morgan several times. Quick and the prices were good. Perhaps it is in trying to deal with Deutschland regulations the EU regulations that you're seeing problems and costs mount up. Most countries seem to try their best to reduce or eliminate anything that comes from the US.

Walt

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

I have a question: Has anyone experience in ordering or with the customer support of david morgan? Since days I'm trying to contact them by E-mail and no reaction. I want to order a hat, but there's an error with the calculation of the shipping costs, so I can't order it, unless I want to pay 130 bucks for shipping (which I don't want).
It really drives me crazy, since I want this hat so badly and david morgan is the only shop, which got it (in this colour) :( .

Thanks in advance,
Adrian.

Sorry I missed that you were not in the US. I think I would try to find out if there is a Europe distributor that can get it or try ordering from Australia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran