Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone know what model Stetson this might be?

lauro13

One of the Regulars
I just picked this up on ebay and I most likely overpaid but I got it so I can try my hand at fixing it up. I figure I probably can't damage it much more and if I'm successful, I'll end up with a nice lid for not too bad a price. looks like it might be an OR but maybe some of you learned folks can chime in.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hello. Stetson made many hats with the name, Sovereign. Some are as the one you just got from eBay. You made out really well in my opinion on the selling price. You can have that hat blocked again, and it may need some repair work on the leather sweatband, but the hat itself should be worth putting some money into towards making it look fairly new again. That particular hat is one of an open road style although it will not say open road on the sweatband. I am fairly certain (although I could be wrong) it came from the factory with a cattlemen crease on it, and along the road of it's life may have been creased or bashed in more than one style on the crown or even brim. It is vintage, not sure how old it is, someone else may be better at things of that nature than me, the tag inside/behind the sweatband may give some evidence if the tag is there?

If I could find hats like this one and only pay a small amount of money for them, I would buy them up as much as possible and fix them up. You can steam the hat and clean up some issues with it yourself. But I am going to imagine someone that knows what they are doing needs to block and flange that hat for you. The hat does have some fairly decent potential. I have a hat similar to it now, and owned one exactly like it. They are some nice hats.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I think the name if I remember correctly has to do with the quality of the felt,don't quote me though.You could always check out the Stetson thread under listing on the hat page.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Sovereign is a felt quality designation and not a model name. Unless it's specifically marked with a name on the sweat, or some other production tag, it's usually impossible to determine a model name. Most of them have been lost to history. I remember seeing a Stetson Playboy ad once talking about how it came in 30 different colors and was the best selling of Stetson's 200 hats. 200 hats! How many do we know today? Surely not that many.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Lauro, it's good fun trying to bring an old beater back into circulation. Keep us posted with progress photos, okay? Oh, and I think you should come up with your own model name. The Stetson Bowery has a certain ring to it . . . :)

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
From a purely scientific POV

If you were a biologist it would procede thus:

Domain: Headgear

Kingdom: Hats

Phylum: Brimmed Hats

Class: Brimmed Felt Hats

Order: Men's Brimmed Felt Hats

Family: Stetson

Genus: Thin Ribboned Western/Dress Fedora

Species: ????

Harumph! :nerd:
To my eye it looks to be a denuded (brim trim) Open Road
or a Royal Western Dress weight of some as yet unidentified species.
Seems a lovely, wafer thin, dress felt, likely of some antiquity, IMO.
A bit of steam & a good brushing & you will really have something nice.
- well done! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot