Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone wearing s Fez these days?

Dreispitz

One Too Many
After this kind of hat had been abolished at the end of the Ottoman Empire by Mustafa Kemal, I doubt there are many been worn these days. Give me the proof, that I am wrong ;)

LordBest

Practically Family
I have one, which I wear on occassion if visitors turn up and I am still in my pajamas and dressing gown. I would post a picture (not in my pajamas though) but it is surprisingly hard to get a decent picture of the blasted thing.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
You can get a fez without a logo on it

Dreispitz said:
After this kind of hat had been abolished at the end of the Ottoman Empire by Mustafa Kemal, I doubt there are many been worn these days. Give me the proof, that I am wrong ;)

Ataturk may have banned them in the modern Republic of Turkey, but the broader Ottoman Empire was out of his reach and the wearing of the fez continued.

A few years back a friend of Lebanese background told me he was going to visit his parents who returned to Lebanon when they retired. I asked him to see if he cold get a fez for me. He couldn't find one in Lebanon, so he took a taxi to Syria where he got two, one for me and one for another friend. It seems that the men of the area don't run to large head sizes, so my fez perches on the top of my 7 3/4 noggin like Oliver Hardy's derby, only smaller.

Charlie Huang

Practically Family
Unless you're Tommy Cooper:

tommy.jpg

or of Turkish descent then I would avoid unless in the privacy of one's club or abode...

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I've got one... see my avatar :D

Oh, and you can see it in this picture too:

2820299290_60de830d24.jpg

Also, notice my vintage silk smoking jacket :D

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
I have two, not that I would wear them out due to the PC world we live in. Although with a dishdasha/kandura or Egyptian gallibaya (although I apprciate it is more suited to a djellaba while in Morocco) is very good for a party. Actually I do wear the gallibaya and dishdash around the house on very hot days. With white/cream linen suit I would a very good "fatman" for a Bogart film.

First, I have the burgandy velvet type. with black tassle that I purchased while in Marrakesh a few years ago aimed at the tourist but hey thats why I'm there.

I also have a red wool fez with no tassle that I purchased in the old medina in Fez this year, because you have to have fez from Fez :D .

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I've read that Borsalino workers used to wear something similar while on the job. They wore dark open crown felt bodies without brims or tassels. I find that kind of interesting.

There's a picture of one of these old caps (along with several nice Tarboosh) in Adele Campione's book, Cappello da uomo. Somewhere I've also seen old photos of Borsalino workers actually wearing these brimless cones.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
LordBest said:
I have one, which I wear on occassion if visitors turn up and I am still in my pajamas and dressing gown.

Oh yes i'm picturing that, with slippers that curl up at the toe, you could offer your visitors "Turkish Delight" served on exquisite silver dishes, accompanied by "Thick Turkish coffee" while you "Dressed" - Too, Too, stylish for words, really?

LordBest

Practically Family
BinkieBaumont said:

Oh yes i'm picturing that, with slippers that curl up at the toe, you could offer your visitors "Turkish Delight" served on exquisite silver dishes while you "Dressed"
What Ho, Binkie.
Quite so, still looking for the slippers though. Dashed hard to find.

Here is a picture of my fez. Forgive my somewhat dishevelled appearance, the wretched barbers was closed today.
Ottomanchap.jpg

The Fez was purchased by my esteemed Aunt in Fez back in '72 or thereabouts.

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Good Lord!

Did not expect that many coming outs in suchg a short time :eusa_clap

Brad, running around the house with a Fez on would certinly qualify. However, I think, we all wish to see a proof! lol

This topic just came to my mind, since I remembered one occasion back in London 30 years, ago. Two Lebanese friends were playing around with a red Fez. Ever since I did not come across one in action, again.

During the renaissance times this style of hat was very popular in Italy, to some extend France and some other parts of Europe. Same fate as the Derby :mad:

Would be interesting to get statements on vintage Ottoman etc. Fez felt qualities.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I hope that there is one one waiting for me in NY this June. I'm told yes. I doubt I'll wear it much, but I think it will be a fun item to have around.

Chinaski

One Too Many
jimmy the lid said:
Add Donald Fagan to the list -- (he ain't never gonna do it without the Fez on)... :D

Cheers,
JtL

Depends on what "it" is - I saw Steely Dan a year or so ago, and Fagen was sans fez. However, "it" could be something else entirely, in which case there could still be a fez involved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner