Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone wearing s Fez these days?

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Godfrey said:
I also have a red wool fez with no tassle that I purchased in the old medina in Fez this year, because you have to have fez from Fez :D .

I have one purchased in the 80s from the Medina of Fez (recreated at EPCOT Florida version):D :D

carldelo

One Too Many

Maguire

Practically Family
Some of my pakistani friends say they know REALLY old people over there who may sport a fez, but that they are seen as an oddity even there, although i know a few egyptian copts who still own fez hats and wear them for specific events. I wore a fez in my senior year of Highschool as part of a bet. I like the hats personally, there is something strangely scholarly looking about them.

Macheath

One of the Regulars
If I were a tall, portly gentleman with a good amount of gravitas, I would wear one:

greenstreet.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My brother is an ex-pat, and lived in Egypt for about 10 years. He brought me back a fez that was handmade either there or in the region. There's a sticker inside it in Arabic. Dont know what it says.

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
Charlie Huang said:
All this fez talk has got me wanting a smoking cap...
Try downstairs at Turnbull & Asser. Some wonderful colours. I have a couple of smoking caps from Locks, but I had them remove the tassel. Then they are perfectly wearable on the street. My black one was admired (at least to my face!) at Glyndebourne last year.

immortaldiamond

Familiar Face
Charlie Huang said:
But smoking caps aren't meant to be worn in the street!
But no one in this forum is doing what was 'meant to be done' when these hats were invented! Landed gentry and above would only be able to wear a topper, you couldn't leave the house without some hat on your head etc. None of the women on here would have had a vote, and I'd be in prison for being gay.
I think, although there's lots of good-hearted nostalgia going on here, if any of us were actually transported back to those times we'd all feel pretty stifled. The styles are great, but I have a sneaky feeling we like being as counter-cultural now as the early hatless youth of the 1920s did then.

Bingles

A-List Customer
immortaldiamond said:
But no one in this forum is doing what was 'meant to be done' when these hats were invented! Landed gentry and above would only be able to wear a topper, you couldn't leave the house without some hat on your head etc. None of the women on here would have had a vote, and I'd be in prison for being gay.
I think, although there's lots of good-hearted nostalgia going on here, if any of us were actually transported back to those times we'd all feel pretty stifled. The styles are great, but I have a sneaky feeling we like being as counter-cultural now as the early hatless youth of the 1920s did then.

I tend to agree that one's "look" depends on one's attitude and if they can "pull it off". If you can rock the fez be it at home or on the streets.. go for it! Nothing wrong with a little individuality.

I constantly find myself debating between "would they have done it then?" and "but it seems to look good this way NOW." -- and I'm glad they can't throw me in prison either.... though then I might actually be able to score a date. [huh]

Somewhere here I posted photos of some of the Fez's that My father bought in Morocco in the 70's. Some have a beautiful straw structure inside, onto which the felt is formed; others had only a cardboard backing inside.

Like you, I don't travel far from home with it on, but did wear it on a bicycle ride down the road to our neighbor's in VT.

Warden

One Too Many
At last my fez arrived from across the pond, been waiting so long my son had to film the grand opening of the fez package.

[video=youtube_share;vBSQt52Gep8]http://youtu.be/vBSQt52Gep8[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn