Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archelogical Expedition and Camping Trip

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
KelseyMuseumStaffatKomAushim1926cro.jpg

That me on the left?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Wow! Lots going on with the trip plans. I'd really just prefer to rough it at the site rather than gadding about town.

I'll have to check but I think I can provide 2 mosquito nets, camp cookware, coffee, and an old coleman stove and possibly a lantern. I think my grandpa might have thrown out his old canvas tent.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The trip being planned sounds very interesting. I wish that I could join you all for this adventure, as I would love to meet some of the folks and to see the country (I've never traveled that far west). But, time and distance conspire against me, so maybe another time.

Here are a couple of pictures that I hope can help set the mood for a vintage-type trip. These are of my great uncle and some of his friends on a camping/hunting trip somewhere in the west around 1925.

DSC01524.jpg

DSC01525.jpg

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Nifty book...

I found a neat book at Vroman's the other day called "Past Tents" about the history of popular camping (mostly late 19th c./early 20th c)...tons of great photos in it :)

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Nick Charles said:
Queenie the books is great and it references other books that I'm trying to get from the library now. Thanks

Glad you liked it!! It's all sold out at my bookstore, so I don't have my own copy yet....I gave one to Lauren for her birthday though, so if it goes OOP I can still browse hers! I love all the wonderful photos.

Cheers,

Q.

Les Gillis

One of the Regulars
Past Tents

I've been lurking on FL for a while; but this is my first post.

The book you mentioned "Past Tents" sounded exactly like something I've been looking for. They have plenty of new & used ones on Amazon from $7.50 on up. I ordered one right after I read your posting about it. Thanks for the info.

Les

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'm definately still in! Well, as long as Dan and Tony can promise something slightly better than the freaky cold weather we've been having here in the high desert!

Dan, I just dropped you an e-mail, so we can coordinate on gear and such.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I'm thinking... though... hmmm.
Hey, Matt! I hope you can make it! How 'bout this: gather up your gear, and head this way. Rendezvous with me in Yucca Valley, transfer your gear to my truck, and we'll go on together! If that sounds good, give me a call and we can work out the details.

Dan listed some options for museums and such earlier in the thread. Who has an interest in what particularly, so we can lay out some plans?

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
OK, folks, we're getting close! Indiana Tone pointed out we need to do a little more logistical planning, so I'll start it out. I'm down with the game plan as it stands at this point: Arrival Friday and set up, campfire dinner. Hot dogs perhaps? Easy to cook on a campfire! Sightseeing Saturday, and perhaps dinner on the town. Finally, petroglyphs and archaeology on Sunday, and a sweet meal again campside Sunday night. I've been talking with the rangers, and one of them mentioned taking us to some of the sites that aren't normally open to visitors. That would be quite fun, so let's hope she comes through on that promise!

As for gear, I'm bringing a pretty large tent that will sleap at least one other than myself. I'm planning on sleeping in a cot (with an isotherm mat), so if anyone wants to bunk with me, let me know and I'll bring an extra one of each.

I'm also going to stock up on some firewood, but I probably won't be able to bring enough to last the entire weekend. If everyone could bring a little wood, that would probably hold us.

I'm going to bring all my chairs (6), my 4-place enamelware dining set (plate, bowl, cup, and spoon), my Coleman stove, two hotdog forks, and my kerosene lanterns. I'll bring my cooler, too. I also plan to rent an enamelware coffee pot at the base before I leave.

Couple questions. I can bring one or two of those kerosene heaters, the kind they put out at restaurants. Do we want or need those? I'm thinking the fire will be enough keep us warm, and it looks like the temps won't be too bad. Thoughts?

Second question, do we want to do a food sign up type of thing, or just each bring a variety and share around? I'm thinking the latter might be easier. It's been my experience that we're never lacking for food on these types of things! We could also just pool our money and do a store run Friday afternoon if we are lacking anything.

Lastly, I can rent extra gear at my base before I leave for pennies. The cots, for example, cost 50 cents for each day, but the weekend counts as one day. Tents are like $7, isotherm mats are 50 cents, etc. If anyone needs me to bring a little extra gear for them, let me know and I can pick it up. I also have an extra sleeping bag or two around. I'm only limited by what I can carry in my truck, so first come, first served! If worse comes to worse, I can also rent gear at Luke AFB, which is just down the road, if we find we are lacking anything. Here's the type of stuff that is available at Luke, and you can see the prices, too: Luke AFB Outdoor Recreation. The tent I will have will be one of these 10x10 five-person (yeah, right!) dome tents. Next year it will be a canvas wall tent!

I cross posted this at COW, too, so repsond at either place if you need any gear, a ride from the Palm Springs area, etc.

Cheers!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW