Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Archelogical Expedition and Camping Trip

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
This is gonna be great! Thanks to Tone for taking the pics!

Nick, one thing I just noticed: no firepits. Do you know if there are any sites with firepits, or are open fires restricted?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nick Charles said:
Just for that Feltfan we are going to get a ghetto Blaster and play hip hop, then you'll have to come and set us straight.

Keep an eye open for my rough riders. We charge over
the hills to overtake your campsite at dusk. Hip hop indeed!

Although I must admit I'm still recovering from my last
camping trip with the gramophone. I cracked my copy
of Spike Jones' "Der Fuerher's Face".

Nick Charles

Practically Family
OOOH that smarts. Don't you hate whn your caeful and stuff still gets chipped, scratched or broken. Don't worry no hip hop, some glen miller, bin crosby, and cliff edwards are my bag. With the player I could bring some Jungle Rhumba and ok'l baby dok'l.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
looks like the camp dinner theme is "Let em' eat steak" on friday so everyone bring a steak. I have knives.

bad news Sally can't make it.

Tone

A-List Customer
Fear not the Jonesness

Hello, Eveyone.

This is my first post here. I just wanted to say I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who are able to make it out for this, and also to maybe put some apprehensions at ease about the potential "Indiana Jonesness" looming about during the trip. I am a fan of the things worn by the character, not obsessed in being the character himself; so if you might be apprehensive in coming expecting some guy who'll play with a bullwhip and run around dragging behind someone's truck the whole time quoting lines from the film, rest assured, this trip is for the enjoyment of the camping and seeing Arizona. Admittedly, I love wearing that fedora and jacket, but I'm not limited to discussions about "all things Indy" nor in parralleling every event in life to somehow tie back to the film. (I just do not have much in the way of other vintage items.)

As for the vintage aspect of this trip, I gather that some will be bringing some vintage style archaeologist wear along with them? Looking forward to seeing it as there are plenty of locations for some terrific photo ops! I will not be with the main party on Saturday for the museums but will either be visiting Sedona or some of the old Ghost Towns instead.

Again, thanks to Nick and Mojave for working it out in putting this together (yes, there are firerings at every campstie, btw) and I'm really looking forward to this as the weeks close in. Certainly, there may still be some others whose plans may change, but hopefully the count doesn't dwindle too much as the steaks are on me as a welcome to Arizona for Friday night's arrival dinner.

Locally, we know how beautiful the scenery is. Those of you coming in from out of state have picked a great place to get away for a few days. I am looking forward to seeing you there!

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I hope y'all have fun and don't run into any snakes. And Mojave and Tone are great guys to hang with. Tell Tone to bring the eyeballs with him. But if he's wearing his fedora and jacket, you may see some resemblance to the real Indy...he's Indygear's Ford look-a-like. Have fun you guys!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
ITG said:
I hope y'all have fun and don't run into any snakes. And Mojave and Tone are great guys to hang with. Tell Tone to bring the eyeballs with him. But if he's wearing his fedora and jacket, you may see some resemblance to the real Indy...he's Indygear's Ford look-a-like. Have fun you guys!
Thanks, ITG! And Tone is a blast to hang out with. Clearly, Tone, you must bring the eyeballs!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Nick Charles said:
according to the camping page at the park site they have fire rings,maybe they just arent in the pics.

Love is a burning thing
and it makes a firery ring
bound by wild desire
I fell in to a ring of fire...

I'll stop now. :D

Story

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I'll finish it with this dude: I won't tell you how long ago I heard it. Suffice it to say that it was on 8 track.

You realize we've doomed these intrepid adventurers to spontaneously break into that song after their fourth beers and if they're not careful about the local mushrooms collected for the stew, the guitar-pickin' mariachi band of singing burros might just pick that moment to stroll through camp. :eek:

Story said:
You realize we've doomed these intrepid adventurers to spontaneously break into that song after their fourth beers and if they're not careful about the local mushrooms collected for the stew, the guitar-pickin' mariachi band of singing burros might just pick that moment to stroll through camp. :eek:

Well, you do need those trumpets. Ayayayayayayay!:p

Regards,

J

P.S. I had to listen to that link again. :D

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
OK....so remind me what else I might need to bring.....I am valiently trying to start early on the packing idea......

d
Booze! Oh, wait, maybe just some booze. ;)

I think for accomodations we'll be fine. You've got your sleeping bag, I've got a cot and air mattress for you, as well as a tent. Between Nick Charles and I, I think we'll be covered for dishes, pots, and pans, but bring food, drinks, etc., as well as any comfort items. Maybe some spare plates, silverware, etc., just in case, plus those little things that everyone forgets, i.e. can opener, dish sponge and soap, basin for washing dishes...any of those kinds of things. Better to have two than none!

The tents I am bringing are the 5-person size. I'm planning to bring two if you are coming, D. I'm planning on setting up a cot in mine, plus having a trunk for my gear and as a nightstand. I think there would comfortably be room for two cots, plus some gear in each tent. (plus cots and air mattresses for Nick, Tone, D., and myself. Any others need a cot and mattress?)

You'll probably want to make sure you have a reasonably sturdy pair of boots for hiking to the petroglyphs. Nick, what are your temps looking like in the morning and evenings? According to the NWS, by next Sunday (as far out as the outlook goes, at this point) it looks like low 70s for a daytime high, and about 50 for an overnight low. Pretty comfortable, I should think! Your Russian surplus bag will be more than enough, D!

Still not sure if we are going out on the town on Saturday; so far no one has expressed a strong opinion on that. I am planning to bring one set of decent clothes, i.e. sport coat, tie, chinos, and comfortable walking shoes, in case we hit the museums or dinner out or something. Field gear for the other days, of course!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Mojave Jack said:
Booze! Oh, wait, maybe just some booze. ;)

I think for accomodations we'll be fine. You've got your sleeping bag, I've got a cot and air mattress for you, as well as a tent. Between Nick Charles and I, I think we'll be covered for dishes, pots, and pans, but bring food, drinks, etc., as well as any comfort items. Maybe some spare plates, silverware, etc., just in case, plus those little things that everyone forgets, i.e. can opener, dish sponge and soap, basin for washing dishes...any of those kinds of things. Better to have two than none!

The tents I am bringing are the 5-person size. I'm planning to bring two if you are coming, D. I'm planning on setting up a cot in mine, plus having a trunk for my gear and as a nightstand. I think there would comfortably be room for two cots, plus some gear in each tent. (plus cots and air mattresses for Nick, Tone, D., and myself. Any others need a cot and mattress?)

You'll probably want to make sure you have a reasonably sturdy pair of boots for hiking to the petroglyphs. Nick, what are your temps looking like in the morning and evenings? According to the NWS, by next Sunday (as far out as the outlook goes, at this point) it looks like low 70s for a daytime high, and about 50 for an overnight low. Pretty comfortable, I should think! Your Russian surplus bag will be more than enough, D!

Still not sure if we are going out on the town on Saturday; so far no one has expressed a strong opinion on that. I am planning to bring one set of decent clothes, i.e. sport coat, tie, chinos, and comfortable walking shoes, in case we hit the museums or dinner out or something. Field gear for the other days, of course!

Ok...that helps my brain a bit......trying to get a handle on what I need to do -this- weekend to be ready for it all....hehe...

And yes...I can bring booze....any requests?

Nick Charles

Practically Family
temps have been pretty nice. About 70's down to 45/50. We should be ok. My tent should be pretty good the ladies can have 1 room 1 for myself, 1 for Marc, and 1 for who ever. Or any combination there of. you can bring some condiments for the bugers and dogs. Casual stuff maybe 1 semidress outfit lets just go out and have a good time.

Nick Charles

Practically Family
I would like eveyone that is definatley coming to email me @ indyaz@cox.net so that I can make a list of the supplies we have and what we are going to need. Send name, cell, supplies youare bringing and name. I'd like to compile this by monday so I can put it all together on tuesday.

Thanks Can't wait to see and meet everyone.. Forcast fro Friday 2/16 --74/48

Nick Charles

Michaelson

One Too Many
OK, heads up Nick!!!!

D.Jones (daughter number 1) found out today that she and a friend WILL BE ATTENDING and will be contact you directly. She had to get things squared away with her new district manager. She's at this moment on the phone with me and asked me to let you know to please add her and friend to the list, and to watch for a PM either here, or more than likely at COW.

Regards! Michaelson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy