Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are prices for Vintage Leather jackets getting a bit insane?

eugenesque

One of the Regulars
Well it seems leather jackets can appreciate in value.

Maybe in the distant future, vintage may join the ranks of gold and silver as being commodities that have fluctuating values. Unlikely though.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As a collector of original A2s I have noticed that since 2008 the prices have declined somewhat. You usually have to pay more for a new high end repro than an original (unless it is very rare, in pristine condition, is painted or has a strong provenance). There are of course the OTT prices charged by some dealers on Ebay and their jackets rarely sell, at least not for the initial BIN price. Today I noticed a guy in Japan is selling painted high end repros for stupid money and has two originals, a Poughkeepsie for $7000 and an aero for $9,600. This is utter madness!
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-A...120495?hash=item211ccd0aef:g:sncAAOSwA3dYV2JD

I often wonder if those high priced listings are merely to show off ones collection... but that costs $ on eBay and it's free here and elsewhereo_O
It's utter nonsense and I can't help but think perhaps some are trying to profiteer off the time of year?? When people are more likely to overspend...

jnovac1

New in Town
This morning I noticed this vintage Buco D-pocket come up on ebay…for $7000!
Nearly dropped my morning coffee...Jeezus!
Insanity …or a sign of where the market is headed for rare vintage jackets?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BUCO-J-24-C...s-/182391991870?&_trksid=p2056016.m2518.l4276
isolated example, but i made what i considered to be a lowball offer on this nice vanson, and am pleased that it was accepted. i am in the us, seller is in canada, maybe its an exchange rate thing. so, heads up!

mihai

A-List Customer
@Monitor, interesting info about Buco. I've seen J23, J24 in GC(8/10) selling for 1500-2000$ on ebay. Others posts also interesting.
For me, I would get a vintage jacket only if:
- it's my size
- it's in good shape to be worn (no rips, scuffs, fades)
- it has a much lower price than high end repros

I think that this vintage trend was also amplified by online forums. (Personally I do not find appealing wearing a garment having pronounced usage marks: creases, fades, watering, scuffs. Yes it looks cool in posters/vintage photos but going to somewhere out -street/office - is a bit too "radical" for me.) So the others like sellers/buyers started biting into this vintage thing. You can find huge amount of used items sold online as "vintage". The more trashed and abused it looks the more "patina" / "distressed".
- I often see nylon USAF jackets (N-2, L-2, MA-1) heavily faded, stained, ripped, perforated being sold as vintage. They look like trash. Unless they are smth scarce/famous and you want to expose that in a museum it's no way to wear that. There was some Canadian seller with a AN-J 4 in decent shape except some rips in the fleece on shoulder. You could guess that it was rotten prob. Still the seller kept asking around 500.
- As for leather jackets, instead of paying in the range of 500-700 for an og 50s police jacket, I'd rather save up and get a high end repro(LW...) for slightly more. Even a used LW repro is much better and has similar price.
- for shoes I see every now and then high end boots(heavily used) trying to sell for 200-300$ ("plenty of wear left"). Ok it was maybe 500 new, but they are out of shape due to permanent creases(could use a shoe tree), sole looks like kicking stones, the inside does not look very tidy(could use thin insoles). Sorry but for 200-300 I have plenty of new/second qual options.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Check out the prices on these new McCoy Jackets.

Those prices are pretty Crazy. I just recently noticed more high end leathers being sold out of Japan on ebay. Not sure what that means.

I know people have issues with the Vintage Bucos, but if they are so Common why are they so duplicated?

A-1

One Too Many
LOL WTF...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Horsehide-Motorcycle-Jacket/182390237643

This one smells scammy... they completely photoshopped the model out of the images, which leads me to believe that they were likely stolen from somewhere. One of the photos has President Obama 'shopped into "wearing" it...

The photo of the US president is so damn great! I almost fell from my chair laughing... And he even said why he has done said! So good!

I would rather collect musical instruments than leather jackets but I mean, why not. If you have the money and the time. There are just so many people who don’t know what to do with their money and so they spent it on expensive leather jackets. Like me...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails