Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
So you're telling me there's a chance?

MM.PNG

Woodtroll

One Too Many
My CD is bashed but certain it was just under 6" open crown when I purchased it 10 years ago or so.

That's interesting about the Campdraft crown heights. I have four, and all mine came 5-1/2" or a little less open crown. I'd prefer a little more height, too. But I'm a larger hat size (62 or 7-3/4) like Brent. I wonder if they have to compromise on height in bigger sizes to keep the brim big enough? I know that's a tradeoff I've had to make in custom hats due to availble hat body sizes, but I don't know if Akubra has to make the same compromises or not?

My CD is bashed but certain it was just under 6" open crown when I purchased it 10 years ago or so.

My first Campdraft was from 2016 so not too that long ago. It might have been over 5 ½” but closer to that than 6”. I had a secondhand older Campdraft that a previous owner put a wide ribbon on and it also measured right at 5 ½ inches. All my new Campdrafts after the first that were don’t recall the height on were very close to 5 1/2”. An extra half inch would make all the different to me.

As a recall, you and I also measure the open crown heights differently so that might explain the differences?

My first Campdraft was from 2016 so not too that long ago. It might have been over 5 ½” but closer to that than 6”. I had a secondhand older Campdraft that a previous owner put a wide ribbon on and it also measured right at 5 ½ inches. All my new Campdrafts after the first that were don’t recall the height on were very close to 5 1/2”. An extra half inch would make all the different to me.

As a recall, you and I also measure the open crown heights differently so that might explain the differences?
Yep, that could be it. Mine has a deep tear drop bash so I wouldn't be able to get an accurate measure on it.

I check my method against my blocks and it comes out at 6".

I can’t explain the differences. My Gannons, for instance, always come with the same height as I requested them. His block for me is 6 ¼” and I’m consistently within a 1/16” of that. It just shows the importance of making sure you have the right conversations with your hatter and confirm you’re speaking the same language. I’ve had similar experiences with other aspects of builds where I knew what I meant and assumed the hatter (not you :) ) understood it the same way…I was wrong. Last year I even had to send a hat back to Greece because what I thought I had conveyed wasn’t the hatter’s interpretation at all. Shipping a large hat in an even larger hat box could not have been cheap, but the hatter insisted on paying for it all.

I can’t explain the differences. My Gannons, for instance, always come with the same height as I requested them. His block for me is 6 ¼” and I’m consistently within a 1/16” of that. It just shows the importance of making sure you have the right conversations with your hatter and confirm you’re speaking the same language. I’ve had similar experiences with other aspects of builds where I knew what I meant and assumed the hatter (not you :) ) understood it the same way…I was wrong. Last year I even had to send a hat back to Greece because what I thought I had conveyed wasn’t the hatter’s interpretation at all. Shipping a large hat in an even larger hat box could not have been cheap, but the hatter insisted on paying for it all.
I consider myself fortunate to have 1/2 my business with locals so they come into the shop for the fitting and discussion. Doing anything at distance over the internet presents hurdles to overcome.

I consider myself fortunate to have 1/2 my business with locals so they come into the shop for the fitting and discussion. Doing anything at distance over the internet presents hurdles to overcome.

Very true. Color accuracy is another hurdle. I look at my own eBay photos of hat taken in the same lighting within one minute of each other and the with a small angle change the color can present very differently. Add in direct sun vs indirect and sometimes it’s hard to believe it’s the same hat.

Same hat, photos seconds apart, but one in shadow and one in direct sunlight. The color is “almond.”

IMG_3286.jpeg
IMG_3277.jpeg

Very true. Color accuracy is another hurdle. I look at my own eBay photos of hat taken in the same lighting within one minute of each other and the with a small angle change the color can present very differently. Add in direct sun vs indirect and sometimes it’s hard to believe it’s the same hat.

Same hat, photos seconds apart, but one in shadow and one in direct sunlight. The color is “almond.”

View attachment 600873 View attachment 600874
Yes, ribbon, an entire subject all on its own. If in doubt I send small felt swatches to the client just to be sure. Ribbon is even harder to capture in photos. My ribbon supplier gave me FREE many yards of vintage as she could not photo it accurately and was tired of customers complaining about getting the wrong ribbon.

tamz0r

Familiar Face
Fedora Lounge, i need your opinion on the crown height of this hat. i’ve been wearing this hat a lot lately but at the same time, somewhat self conscious that the crown might be a bit too tall for me.

give it to me straight now. would appreciate your honest opinions :)
IMG_2540.jpeg

IMG_0937.jpeg

IMG_0934.jpeg

(p.s. sorry if 3 pix are excessive for this question lol)

The Shoe

One Too Many
Fedora Lounge, i need your opinion on the crown height of this hat. i’ve been wearing this hat a lot lately but at the same time, somewhat self conscious that the crown might be a bit too tall for me.

give it to me straight now. would appreciate your honest opinions :) View attachment 601248
View attachment 601249

View attachment 601250

I like it. I was always self conscious about a tall crown at first, but now I wish I had stuck with a tall crown on one of my custom hats where I asked for the standard tall crown to be reduced to medium. I love my taller ones now. I’m sure you’ll get used to it too. It certainly doesn’t look out of place on your head.

give it to me straight now. would appreciate your honest opinions :) View attachment 601248
View attachment 601249

View attachment 601250

In my years as a hat maker I have witnessed, multiple times, the arc of men becoming hat wearers. At first the hat seems a foreign object on the head.....it seems overly big, overly noticeable so they request lower crowns and narrower brims. But usually the wearer becomes accustomed to this 'thing' upon their head and their next hats are a little taller, a little wider brimmed. Stick with this for a while as my bet is you will begin to normalize, and like most of us (me included) you will eventually feel comfortable wearing it. Give it a chance as it will, in all likelihood, become natural feeling for you.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 601249

View attachment 601250

Very common concern.
Not to worry, just wear it and you’ll soon appreciate it for what it is…a good looking hat on you.
B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner