Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
... I went to the local mall and tried on a Pork Pie not a high end model. It was round and would not fit my oval head like the Dobbs and Stetson Stingys I wear. Are all Pork Pies shaped like this? ....

Pork Pie is a style of crease, not really an overall shape of a hat.
Dobbs & Stetsons are made by HatCo & are not as oval as Resistols, also made by HatCo.
Vintage hats did come in Long Oval shapes as well as XLong & Mid Oval but not so much these days.
Lots of hats are listed as Vintage but really aren't.
Buying of the Bay, you'll have to take your chances on fit. Go for the right size, then "train" the hat to your shape. JMHO.

howardeye

Practically Family
Thanks for the information. I live in a farm community where there are no hat shops. I do know some older farmers who wear high end fedoras. I should ask them where they shop. I live an hour from Chicago on a good day. I have been looking at some of their hat stores online. Anyone got any suggestions who to go to so I can try some on? This is the hat I was talking about http://www.ebay.com/itm/140867316807?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 I like the short crown and wide ribbon. Thanks for all the help

Last edited:
Bert, that looks like an older Dobbs & would be more oval than what comes out of HatCo these days.
I'm not sure it is worth that asking price but that is JMHO...
Being that close to Chicago, I'd strike out for Optimo...
Thanks for the information. I live in a farm community where there are no hat shops. I do know some older farmers who wear high end fedoras. I should ask them where they shop. I live an hour from Chicago on a good day. I have been looking at some of their hat stores online. Anyone got any suggestions who to go to so I can try some on? This is the hat I was talking about http://www.ebay.com/itm/140867316807?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649 I like the short crown and wide ribbon. Thanks for all the help

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
What is this paper looking thing behind the sweat called, and what would it's purpose be? It feels rougher than the liner, but seems plasticy when lifted away from the liner (pulling it back, like one would move the sweat, it is see through, so I will say it may be plastic, but feels rougher than the plastic covering the liner logo.) I believe the sweat is reeded, and have never seen something like this before (this is my 3rd Fedora, so I am pretty confused as to what it is).

00816.jpg

Mystic

Practically Family
What is this paper looking thing behind the sweat called, and what would it's purpose be? It feels rougher than the liner, but seems plasticy when lifted away from the liner (pulling it back, like one would move the sweat, it is see through, so I will say it may be plastic, but feels rougher than the plastic covering the liner logo.) I believe the sweat is reeded, and have never seen something like this before (this is my 3rd Fedora, so I am pretty confused as to what it is).

00816.jpg

Hey Splinter, Nice Marathon. :thumb:

I asked about the term for this little item a while back in another thread.

It was answer quite well and thoroughly by Art, Rabbit and Tonyb. Start with my question in post 22 and follow the thread for their answers
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?66227-An-Intro-to-Hat-Terminology

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Bailey Gangster - what in the heck is smooth finish felt?

Looking for a dark grey fedora. I have a lighter grey (Caribou they call it) in a Stetson Saxon, center dent and 2" brim. I have the Litefelt Bailey Yates in a black fedora with the 2 1/4" contoured brim.

Thinking that for $56 shipped I can get a darker grey fedora to go with casual wear and weekends and keep my Stetson for dress. It has a 2 1/2" snap brim and maybe that may be a bit big, I dunno, but they call it smooth finish and not lite felt.

What is the difference?

Any comprably priced hat by Bailey or Dobbs or some other place I can order online with say a center dent and 2 1/4" brim?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Its a marketing term, is what is. Still just wool felt. May recieve some extra attention to detail, but its still wool.

Generally the "ask a question, get an answer" thread is best for questions such as this, reduces board clutter and what not. Though most of us are not experts on modern wool hats.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Bailey Gangster - what in the heck is smooth finish felt?

Looking for a dark grey fedora. I have a lighter grey (Caribou they call it) in a Stetson Saxon, center dent and 2" brim. I have the Litefelt Bailey Yates in a black fedora with the 2 1/4" contoured brim.

Thinking that for $56 shipped I can get a darker grey fedora to go with casual wear and weekends and keep my Stetson for dress. It has a 2 1/2" snap brim and maybe that may be a bit big, I dunno, but they call it smooth finish and not lite felt.

I did find that Bailey makes the Tino in Litefelt for around $65 with a 2 inch brim, and then their Lanolux (?) sueded finish in the Barr model that will run me about $88, also a 2" brim. Id be inclined to the Barr. Any comments on these?

What is the difference?

Any comprably priced hat by Bailey or Dobbs or some other place I can order online with say a center dent and 2 1/4" brim?

Last edited:

tridentine

Suspended
Cleaning Fedoras

Can anyone please tell me how to clean an old Borsalino?
I have one that is over 70 years of age and is looking a bit dingy.
Thank you

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Brim flange is a mystery to me

In my attempts to communicate to Art about the perfect brim width, I'm making some silly discoveries. Here are two hats with 2 5/8" bound brims, and they look completely different.

D Bar J:
012ik.jpg

Lee "Overbrook:"
032ckh.jpg

The Lee looks more natural to me. Is it the particular flange? Is it the width of the brim binding?

For comparison, here's a black Wormser with a 2 3/8" bound brim, which is the width I had requested from Art. I definitley don't want to go any shorter than that.

054nc.jpg

And to throw everything off, this Nutria Quality Stetson has a brim of 2 7/8"...

026copyo.jpg

Do you guys have any suggestions about the width that would look best on my noggin with the "Bobby Blue" hat? I mean, a brim can always be trimmed, but to put felt back on... a little tougher! Any advice appreciated.

Art, if you're listening, I will defer to your expertise; you know best!

scooter

Practically Family
I personally think they all look fine. I don't think I would go less than 2 1/2. The Lee is a gorgeous hat, and I think it has a slightly more relaxed flange, but I also think the contrasting colors on the D Bar J accentuates the difference. They all look fine!

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Jeff, to confuse you further I actually like the look of the D Bar J best with the straighter slant. Think the brim ribbon width has something to do with making the Lee look shorter as well as the curved dip. Just curious, does the D Bar J fit a bit looser than the Lee and Wormser? Think your over think'n it, you look fine in the variety you presented. 2 3/8 is my personal favorite brim length for me.

Last edited:

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
To me the Lee looks great the flange is what make this hat. The flange is flat close to the crown then breaks and inch out from the crown. This gives you a good snap on the front of the brim.

Landman

One Too Many
Jeff,

All those brim lengths look good on you. Even the 2 7/8" looks great. However, I think the 2 5/8" brims look best. I love the Wormser hat but it looks just a tad short. That might just be the angle of the photo plus the fact I prefer longer brims. I think maybe something in between like a 2 1/2" brim would be a good size for you.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Just curious does anyone know if the powers that be keep a log of loungers from different countries or areas,like say Europe,Canada or Australia ect. just so that way we could hook up for get togethers and events as you do in the US?
Probably posted this in the wrong thread as I realize this is the hat thread but wasn't sure where to do so...sorry

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Those are some nice hats there, bowlerman. Not a bad one in the lot. The D Bar J is flashy and cool on you. I also like that Stetson, wish I had one of those. Your best brim size is 2 5/8, could also be 2 1/2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn