Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Ok, I may have asked this seven times, but I am struggling to find THE hat.

Well, I tried on some Baileys locally. I have a Stetson Saxon in Caribou and a Bailey Yates in black (Switched out the ribbon that was brown for a plain black one and they used a bailey pin, no bow though)

Have an Akubra Stylemaster but the brim is way too big and also the crown height is too big

Been looking at hats online. Mostly the Bailey of Hollywood line. Delmonico, Shoebuy has an extra 15% off.

Tried on a Brandt and it felt great, just great on the head. Dont think I look so good in a turned down brim like that and it is 2 1/2 inches too.

Thinking of a Tino (litefelt), or the Barr (the lanolux like the Brandt), maybe the Perry (also Lanolux). I have a driving cap and wife hates it. Today I wore british tan colored courdoroy pants with a brownish hue shirt and a navy blue cashmere sweater over it. Wore the black Yates and it looks good, but the Stetson looked better but it was too dressy of a hat. Not bad, but wife liked the more casual yates. I am thinking the black looks fine, but is better with jeans and things that need black, like black pants and a grey sweater

I am thinking that a 2 inch brim or something similar to the Yates and Saxon would be great, maybe not as dressy as a fur felt and around $90 or so would be great.

So, Barr, Tino, Perry or something else (Gangster may be too big a brim?). Also, what color would you think? A darker brown, but not true chocolate? A darker grey than the Stetson in Caribou? I need this third hat to be versatile, maybe to pair with a suit if I want to dress down the formality of the suit (sportscoat, or suit without tie) and yet not be too casual to wear with what I had today (and I think the Brandt would have been too casual, as wife thinks I look better a little dressy even though I am in casual clothes for me, and by the way, I turn 53 next month).

I tried on other hats locally and the Tino in grey had the brown band and made it too casual and in lighter grey the wool looks like wool and not felt. In black, it is much better. Now the brown was an okay color. The brown of my Akubra is way too light of a color, and I am thinking that lighter grey is not as versatile for me as a darker grey than the Stetson. You may say that the Stetson in Caribou is to the darker side of the scale of greys so that a dark grey really is just the same color, just a few shades darker and that I really need to go to the brown side. I just feel that this third hat will be the one I wear second most, that is, when in suits, that Stetson is the thing for me (even the guys in the hat store locally say it looks great on me, size wise and color) and people at court remark on it all the time. The Yates can be a weekend hat or severe weather, but this third hat, the one I am struggling with, I need to fill in the gap when not in a dressed up suit situation, but not running toWalmart.

HELP?

m0nk

One Too Many
Ok, I may have asked this seven times, but I am struggling to find THE hat.

Well, I tried on some Baileys locally. I have a Stetson Saxon in Caribou and a Bailey Yates in black (Switched out the ribbon that was brown for a plain black one and they used a bailey pin, no bow though)

Have an Akubra Stylemaster but the brim is way too big and also the crown height is too big

Been looking at hats online. Mostly the Bailey of Hollywood line. Delmonico, Shoebuy has an extra 15% off.

Tried on a Brandt and it felt great, just great on the head. Dont think I look so good in a turned down brim like that and it is 2 1/2 inches too.

Thinking of a Tino (litefelt), or the Barr (the lanolux like the Brandt), maybe the Perry (also Lanolux). I have a driving cap and wife hates it. Today I wore british tan colored courdoroy pants with a brownish hue shirt and a navy blue cashmere sweater over it. Wore the black Yates and it looks good, but the Stetson looked better but it was too dressy of a hat. Not bad, but wife liked the more casual yates. I am thinking the black looks fine, but is better with jeans and things that need black, like black pants and a grey sweater

I am thinking that a 2 inch brim or something similar to the Yates and Saxon would be great, maybe not as dressy as a fur felt and around $90 or so would be great.

So, Barr, Tino, Perry or something else (Gangster may be too big a brim?). Also, what color would you think? A darker brown, but not true chocolate? A darker grey than the Stetson in Caribou? I need this third hat to be versatile, maybe to pair with a suit if I want to dress down the formality of the suit (sportscoat, or suit without tie) and yet not be too casual to wear with what I had today (and I think the Brandt would have been too casual, as wife thinks I look better a little dressy even though I am in casual clothes for me, and by the way, I turn 53 next month).

I tried on other hats locally and the Tino in grey had the brown band and made it too casual and in lighter grey the wool looks like wool and not felt. In black, it is much better. Now the brown was an okay color. The brown of my Akubra is way too light of a color, and I am thinking that lighter grey is not as versatile for me as a darker grey than the Stetson. You may say that the Stetson in Caribou is to the darker side of the scale of greys so that a dark grey really is just the same color, just a few shades darker and that I really need to go to the brown side. I just feel that this third hat will be the one I wear second most, that is, when in suits, that Stetson is the thing for me (even the guys in the hat store locally say it looks great on me, size wise and color) and people at court remark on it all the time. The Yates can be a weekend hat or severe weather, but this third hat, the one I am struggling with, I need to fill in the gap when not in a dressed up suit situation, but not running toWalmart.

HELP?
You might have better luck looking at a custom fur felt hat. There are several custom hatters that might be able to help you put together THE hat. I would recommend Falcon Park Hattery, as Parker is a great guy to work with. Along with the custom route, there is always a bit of time involved, but for about $150, you could have a perfect hat. I would recommend going with fur felt now instead of wasting money on a wool felt and later deciding you want a better hat. Especially if you've considered spending the money on an Akubra.

Hope that helps!

bulldog1935

Suspended
3XOR3.jpg

what is with the button on an Open Road?
It looks really cool, but what function does it serve?
thanks

m0nk

One Too Many
Monk: What color would I be looking at then?
Depends on the manufacturer. Most hat makers get their felt bodies from the same places, so they'll often have similar colors, but they won't be the same colors as what comes in wool felt hats. Also, HatCo (owners of Stetson) make their own bodies I believe, so you likely won't find the same exact colors in a custom hat, but you can likely find something you'll be happy with. Check out the virtual swatches on Falcon Park's website and you might find what you're after:

http://falconparkhattery.com/Virtual_Swatches.html

Personally, I have an order in with him for a Granite Beaver felt hat. You can see some examples on his Custom Creations page, but if you talk to him you can work on a model specific to the dimensions you're after.

m0nk

One Too Many
3XOR3.jpg

what is with the button on an Open Road?
It looks really cool, but what function does it serve?
thanks
That's a Wind Trolley, not specific to the Open Road, and many hats from that period would have had them. You could conceivably take it out and button it to the top sportcoat or overcoat button hole so the hat won't blow away in a heavy wind.... at least that's my understanding...

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes, a wind trolley. After a brim adjustment to my Stetson 25, I am now in the market once again to ask gtdean on how to tighten the wind trolley. There was a way to do it that he told me, that I have forgotten.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Monk, for the third hat, look at brown or grey as being more versatile or what I need? I am torn between dark grey or some sort of mid to dark brown as being versatile for shirts to sweaters (red, grey, blues schemes in sweaters) and sports coats or jeans

Using the color swatch, My stetson is granite color. Then I have the wool felt in the Black Bailey.

So, for third hat, and one I need to be more versatile than the black, I am thinking either dark grey, or pecan or brown. Steel is too blueish. Silverbelly is too light (though what a lovely color).

I can not visualize how the COLORS look with most everything. I am one that has to see the total package. My wife got tired of me asking her which hat, black or grey, with everything this last week, as I am wearing my hats every day.

I just know that the Stetson is my dress hat. Seems formal. The black hat is my knockaround hat but looks good with my sweater today as far as texture, black is probably not the best color for tan pants, tan shoes, and a blue sweater.

Just dont know which would be better, going into browns or a dark grey, or someother

And wow, those hats he made up? Sick. I can see where the silverbelly and that carolina blue ribbon works, and if it was easy to change out ribbons, heck, one could go overboard.

Edit: Here is what I wore today. Black hat. Tan pants, navy blue sweater. So, what other colors would have been better. This is what I mean by saying I am not in a suit or sportscoat, but not jeans. Typical sweater in winter, maybe more dressy pants if I was seeing clients.

1-2.jpg

2-1.jpg

Last edited:

bulldog1935

Suspended
That's a Wind Trolley, not specific to the Open Road, and many hats from that period would have had them. You could conceivably take it out and button it to the top sportcoat or overcoat button hole so the hat won't blow away in a heavy wind.... at least that's my understanding...
Yes, a wind trolley. After a brim adjustment to my Stetson 25, I am now in the market once again to ask gtdean on how to tighten the wind trolley. There was a way to do it that he told me, that I have forgotten.

way cool, thanks guys

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Jeff, to confuse you further I actually like the look of the D Bar J best with the straighter slant. Think the brim ribbon width has something to do with making the Lee look shorter as well as the curved dip. Just curious, does the D Bar J fit a bit looser than the Lee and Wormser? Think your over think'n it, you look fine in the variety you presented. 2 3/8 is my personal favorite brim length for me.

Actually, yes-- the D Bar J, besides being a thicker western weight staple felt, is a bit looser-- my head must have been swollen from the desert heat when we drove through Vegas last summer! :) It looks a little awkward head-on, though.

What are your thoughts on a Felt Hat Cleaning Sponge? Or would you still go with a hat brush? I am looking into buying some of the Scout Cleaner, but don't know what sponge/brush to use to also clean the hat when I use it.

I use them for spots or stains. There is also another type sponge to use with spot remover. It is more dense than the orange ones. http://www.villagehatshop.com/hat_sponge.html
Brushing removes surface dirt & dust & lays down the felt fibers. I use the orange sponges then brush the hat.

Last edited:

tridentine

Suspended
I have chance to buy a
See suggestions

Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Borsalino Grand Prix Paris Brown Felt Fedora Style Antica 1900 BAKER X-Large XL

See suggestions

Have one to sell? Sell it yourself

Borsalino Grand Prix Paris Brown Felt Fedora Style Antica 1900 BAKER X-Large XL

I have a chance to buy a Borsalino Grand Prix Paris Brown Felt Fedora Style Antica 1900 BAKER in great condition for 59.00.
Is this worth it?
Thank you

Landman

One Too Many
Anybody having trouble with Photobucket? They have a new beta website and it freezes up everytime I go there now. I'm trying to upload some hat pictures which is why I asked this here :)

Landman

One Too Many
I had trouble, too, with the beta version of Photobucket but there is an option to use the classic version which works fine.

I tried that but it is frozen and doesn't go anywhere. I'll try deleting all my cookies and temporary internet files and see if that works. Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn