Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
I don't know if this has happened to you , but I got an e mail from photobucket stating in so many words that " we are aware of the problems and we have our tecks working on it . "
I guess we will have to wait and see .
Thanks agin , all the best , Fashion Frank

I'm probably not going to be able to help much being I'm kind of computer illiterate but I upload my pics to a file on my comp first then transfer to photobucket and I haven't been having any problems,hope this helps as I said not much of a Techy

fashion frank

One Too Many
I'm probably not going to be able to help much being I'm kind of computer illiterate but I upload my pics to a file on my comp first then transfer to photobucket and I haven't been having any problems,hope this helps as I said not much of a Techy

Thanks for noticing this post and Photobucket finally got straightened out at some point today ,so its back to normal.

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Landman

One Too Many
Yes, the Fed IV does have a wire reed. My brown one has a couple of small kinks and I've considered removing it, but it seems to be a common issue for hard wearing Fed IV owners on COW.

I just took a closer look at my new Fed IV and it doesn't appear to have a wire reed. The reed looks just the same as my Campdraft.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The Fed IV definitely has a wire reed - as has been discussed ad nauseum at COW. I can't speak to any other Akubra models, though I have a hard time believing that they would use a different technique on only the Fed IV.

Landman

One Too Many
The Fed IV definitely has a wire reed - as has been discussed ad nauseum at COW. I can't speak to any other Akubra models, though I have a hard time believing that they would use a different technique on only the Fed IV.

Well, maybe it does. I'm not going to take it a part to look though. It feels like my other Akubra's and when you bend it a little bit it doesn't stay bent. It feels like the little clear plastic fishing lines that are in most new replacement sweatbands. I guess I could be wrong, but like Jared, I have a hard time believing they would do that for just one model. The sweatband looks the same as all my other Akubra's. Very nice hat no matter what is in the reed.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Well, maybe it does. I'm not going to take it a part to look though. It feels like my other Akubra's and when you bend it a little bit it doesn't stay bent. It feels like the little clear plastic fishing lines that are in most new replacement sweatbands. I guess I could be wrong, but like Jared, I have a hard time believing they would do that for just one model. The sweatband looks the same as all my other Akubra's. Very nice hat no matter what is in the reed.

It's also possible that they've recently made a change. I haven't bought an Akubra in a few years. But in the least, at one point, it was a wire reed. I guess that's the best we can say. [huh]

vafan13

New in Town
Can someone identify what kind of hat Rothstein wears in Boardwalk Empire? It looks a lot like a homburg but compared to other homburgs I see the crown seems shorter and flatter on top. That being said I'm definitely no expert, particularly when it comes to things other than fedoras. Is this just another type of homburg or does it have its own name? Lastly, can anyone think of anything I can buy which would be comparable?

For reference, this is the hat in question:

arnold-rothstein-10241.jpeg

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Can someone identify what kind of hat Rothstein wears in Boardwalk Empire? It looks a lot like a homburg but compared to other homburgs I see the crown seems shorter and flatter on top. That being said I'm definitely no expert, particularly when it comes to things other than fedoras. Is this just another type of homburg or does it have its own name? Lastly, can anyone think of anything I can buy which would be comparable?

For reference, this is the hat in question:

arnold-rothstein-10241.jpeg

I had a Borsalino Homburg that I sold a while back that looked very similar. (Could be the same hat, actually). Same low crown. Mine had the binding removed at some point. His looks like it could have had the same done to it- you can see a line of discoloration on the brim.
IMG_4384.jpg

Last edited:

howardeye

Practically Family
Just got this old Dobbs Homburg in the mail. The leather band is dry rotted and split but the rest is perfect. My question is about the brim. The brim is a lot wider than the Stingys I wear brim up. Should the brim be worn up all the time or can it be worn down. It is very stiff and has a great snap when I move it and I do not want to mess it up if it is supposed to be worn up only. The Borso I have does not have a stiff brim so I don't have anything to compare it to. I am just asking because most of the pics I see on the forum are worn brim down. Thanks

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hmm...that's an interesting hat. Typically, the brim on a Homburg is both bound, and too stiff to be snapped down as such; yes, the brim on a Homburg is worn up.

howardeye

Practically Family
Thank you both for the reply. I think it looks unnatural also. It does take a lot of force to turn it down. This is a fabulous hat except for the leather sweat band. I gave $35 for it on eBay shipping included. I think a new sweat band installation won't hurt me.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
I believe it may have been trimmed also, as if you look closely at the brim edge, you can see minor waves, as if it was either sanded poorly, or cut improper. Nice snag for only $35!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I'm fairly confident that is not a brim trim/removed binding. Certainly meant to be worn "up", though, and not a fedora.

Looks pretty similar to he '60s Knox Americana. Sort of a casual homburg/lords hat, though I don't think it was actually marketed under either of those names. Do you have a shot of the inside?

howardeye

Practically Family
You guys are correct. I put my Optivisor on and the edge or whatever you call it has been cut off. The edges are irregular. You guys are good! Thank You! It has the clear plastic covering inside the top also.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Knox, Champ, and Dobbs all had an "Americana" model lord's hat around the 60s, which were practically identical. The brim is not meant to be snapped down, but left curled up and raw. A more casual (usually a smaller brim and lower, slightly more tapered crown) alternative to the homburg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace