Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1on1

One of the Regulars
"hats off" to those fast responses- yes I too have had the name KYDEX tossed at me a few times, the trouble all along has been that no one ( not even the big online plastics companies (like e-plastics and others ) have any clue where I could find it...the other day I stumbled upon a plastics company near the garment district (im in NYC)..and their floor person had never even heard of HDPE (high density polyethylene) let alone KYDEX... whatever is not on the shelf, they're not going to know about..ive tried contacting a few hatter forums/ebay/etsy - no dice there either.
Stitching it or making the stitch holes wont be an issue since I wont be directly sewing over the plastic, also this material I above is so cool because its thick but also easy to bend, and more importantly, it holds a bend.
i'll hard-google KYDEX and see if suppliers (continental U.S.) exist for it.
thanks again
1on1

1on1

One of the Regulars
PS - just a laymans observation but I think part of the reason why the above plastic is thick yet easily bendable, is because of the micro-hallowed-out side (for lack of a better word - or textured side), which looks like it helps in the bending process because when you try to reverse bend it (the smooth side) its much harder to bend, and hold a bend.

1on1

One of the Regulars
Michael. R

Just did - no dice (everything but..) Will call 'em tomorrow anyway and see if any enlightened soul picks up.
thanks for the tip.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
If you don't get any info there , or locate somewhere to get some Kydex , let me know . A guy thats supposed to have started some renovations here about two weeks ago told me him and another guy were going to start making custom Kydex holsters . If he ever shows I'll hit him up and see what he can do .

Moviehats

One of the Regulars
What years did Stetson use this hat box?

il_340x270.1044722704_8vtc.jpg

I just received a hat and the owner said they bought it in the '80's and it was the same box.

Lydia Oh

New in Town
Hi!
I found this vintage Royal Stetson hat in great condition and I was wondering if anyone could give me any info related to this hat. This hat was made by Finnish company called Valioasu Oy and that company dissapeared sometime in the 90s. (I think this hat could be older than that.) This hat is size 57 and has someones initials "PS" on it too. All info about hat style/time etc.
would be appricieted. Thank you!

Hattu-1.jpg

Hattu-2.jpg

Hattu-3.jpg

Hattu-4.jpg

ninman

One of the Regulars
Hi there,

I'm looking for a "traditional" hat that might have been worn by gentleman back in the 40's/50's. Think detectives from old LA Noire type movies.

I really like tall, straight sided crowns with a centre dent and a tight front pinch, but I don't want another Indiana Jones hat. I want a hat that will look good with a suit, and make me look really smart.

Any suggestions, apart from an Akubra Federation 4 in Moonstone (I already have one of those)? Cheers.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would contact one of the hatters here and get them to make you up a nice Whippet or Playboy clone. Depending what floats your boat. All my hats are made by Art Fawcett and run around $275 and up but there are lots of other hatters here that do great jobs. I have always been impressed with North West hats as well as Gannon hats. Look around and see what you like.
Johnny
A question should be asked
What is your budget?

ninman

One of the Regulars
I'm really tempted to buy the second one, but I don't want to unless I know it's good in the rain, and also that the seller is a reputable one.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
I would be really cautious about bartonprimary. When I first started looking at hats in the UK, I also came across their site. I was and remain suspicious as all their pictures are lifted from other sites and they never responded to some basic questions on sizing. Google search their name and there are some "dodgy site" warnings.

In the end, I actually ordered a Federation IV from Oz, found a vintage late 40/early 50's fedora for €20 in a second hand shop, and then went a little bonkers on ebay ordering 3 vintage feds. The €20 one had such amazing felt... I am early in this addiction, but just beware of shops which seem to good to be true such as bartonprimary.

@bartonprimary - if you are a real shop, I am happy to stand corrected, but you need to work on your customer service.

If your budget is £150, consider getting 2 (ebay or Akubra amongst others) or just stretch to about £180-200 and you could get a basic custom).

Just my 2p worth, there are many others way more knowledgeable on this site.

ninman

One of the Regulars
Yeah, I don't want to import a hat from the US because I'll get stung on import duty. So given the choice I'd rather buy an Australian hat, like an Akubra, but those Stetsonians really look like the sort of hat I was after.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21