Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I'm really tempted to buy the second one, but I don't want to unless I know it's good in the rain, and also that the seller is a reputable one.
Stetsonian is an awesome hat.....I have 3.......one in each color!!
My only caution is if you have never worn a hat, this one can be a bit overwhelming in brim width and crown height.
It would be beneficial to stop by a hat shop and try on differant styles and colors to see what you like....
Cheers,
M

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I came across this while looking for a new Panama: http://www.berkeleyhat.com/paexfi1.html
The hat is made with no sweatband "like it is in hats worn by the native people in Ecuador." I would think it would stain very quickly. Anyone had any experience with a Panama without a sweatband?
Nope. I don't go around asking people to take off their hats here, or in Ecuador when visiting the in-laws, but have never seen a "finished" Panama/Ecuador paja toquilla hat without at least a cloth sweat in it. I'm no expert, but I'd like a sweat in my hat. If you really liked a hat, you could order it and pay a local hatter to put a cloth or leather sweat in for you, just be sure to leave enough room for the sweat when ordering. Or does the seller offer that service???

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
VAT on anything over £39 if imported and HMRC are vigilant! Ask me how I know... i know you said no Fed IV but... the Fed IV was daunting at first as it is open crown and seems quite wide when looking square on front, but I have been playing around with it and starting to look better and is nice quality (find the "I love the fed iv" thread). Watch Boardwalk Empire on Sky and you get a smorgasbord of styles to inspire although some seem quite 40s/50s which is what you want I gather rather than 20s.

My wife properly freaked out when I jokingly informed her that I was going for a Mormon look (no offense to any Mormons here) with the fed iv. Open crown. She thought I was serious.

Stetsonians are very nice. But so are Borsalinos, Dermottas, Adams, Resistol, Dobbs, Champs etc etc. Check out Etsy.com, there are some there in your budget range and selling from Europe so no import duty.

Michael. R

Just did - no dice (everything but..) Will call 'em tomorrow anyway and see if any enlightened soul picks up.
thanks for the tip.
This reply is from way out in left field.......if you cannot locate a source for your plastics give some thought to using a thick leather. I have a dozen or so Newsboys/Flatcaps and my favourites are made by a guy in Britain and he uses a thick leather covered in whatever tweed or waxed cotton. It is substantial enough to form a bend but not so stiff as to be rigid like a plastic. For me the leather is far more comfortable and aesthetically pleasing than any plastic linered caps.

Yeah, I don't want to import a hat from the US because I'll get stung on import duty. So given the choice I'd rather buy an Australian hat, like an Akubra, but those Stetsonians really look like the sort of hat I was after.
Two sources; check out Esther Weiss, she is a custom hatter in Antwerp. Her Tonak felts are wonderful and she is great to work with. The other is Daquino on Etsy. They are a hatter in Lisbon and they sell felt hats from FEPSA in both rabbit and beaver. The full beaver is $185 US$. I only have FEPSA in their rabbit and it makes a wonderful hat. If that link to the Stetsonian is legit I would give it some solid consideration as it is a great hat, one of the nicest that Stetson has in their current line-up (although now since dropped from the line) AND the price is a killer. Never seen one that low priced. But as cautioned earlier the higher crown/wider brim can be a bit daunting at first.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
Nope. I don't go around asking people to take off their hats here, or in Ecuador when visiting the in-laws, but have never seen a "finished" Panama/Ecuador paja toquilla hat without at least a cloth sweat in it. I'm no expert, but I'd like a sweat in my hat. If you really liked a hat, you could order it and pay a local hatter to put a cloth or leather sweat in for you, just be sure to leave enough room for the sweat when ordering. Or does the seller offer that service???

I've never heard of a panama hat without a sweat band in it! I suppose he could order one inch up on the hat size and have a sweat installed...

l0fielectronic

Practically Family

I would be really cautious about bartonprimary. When I first started looking at hats in the UK, I also came across their site. I was and remain suspicious as all their pictures are lifted from other sites and they never responded to some basic questions on sizing. Google search their name and there are some "dodgy site" warnings.

As you say, bartonprimary.co.uk does not look like a legitimate website. Its all kind of odd. Sometimes it calls itself Bucket Hats, some links and all the 'social' links go to a lilybrides.com website - which seems to have been a website selling fake wedding dresses at some time in the past. Then you've got the pricings, converted from some other currency and finally the fact there are no contact details anywhere on the website (If you are based in the UK and trading online it is a legal requirement to have a physical address on your website). All in all. I would steer well clear of that website.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi there,

I'm looking for a "traditional" hat that might have been worn by gentleman back in the 40's/50's. Think detectives from old LA Noire type movies.

I really like tall, straight sided crowns with a centre dent and a tight front pinch, but I don't want another Indiana Jones hat. I want a hat that will look good with a suit, and make me look really smart.

Any suggestions, apart from an Akubra Federation 4 in Moonstone (I already have one of those)? Cheers.
Another Indiana Jones hat? What ones do you have? If you want you can always go for the campdraft. That definitely does not look Indiana Jones and still era specific.
Johnny

I would contact one of the hatters here and get them to make you up a nice Whippet or Playboy clone. Depending what floats your boat. All my hats are made by Art Fawcett and run around $275 and up but there are lots of other hatters here that do great jobs. I have always been impressed with North West hats as well as Gannon hats. Look around and see what you like.
Johnny
A question should be asked
What is your budget?
+1

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I bought a couple hats in Cuenca on my first visit there. Both of the hats had cloth sweats, but one was sewn in with nylon thread that itched my forehead like crazy. My daughter "acquired" it as her own and we took it to Mike Miller at NW Hats who blocked it a touch smaller for my daughter (size 7-1/2 to 7-1/8), put in a nice leather sweat, and added a burgundy pug.

Before:

i-6s9p4Pn.jpg

After:

i-QTJSGTD-XL.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hi there,

I'm looking for a "traditional" hat that might have been worn by gentleman back in the 40's/50's. Think detectives from old LA Noire type movies.

I really like tall, straight sided crowns with a centre dent and a tight front pinch, but I don't want another Indiana Jones hat. I want a hat that will look good with a suit, and make me look really smart.

Any suggestions, apart from an Akubra Federation 4 in Moonstone (I already have one of those)? Cheers.
Stetsonian

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Two sources; check out Esther Weiss, she is a custom hatter in Antwerp. Her Tonak felts are wonderful and she is great to work with. The other is Daquino on Etsy. They are a hatter in Lisbon and they sell felt hats from FEPSA in both rabbit and beaver. The full beaver is $185 US$. I only have FEPSA in their rabbit and it makes a wonderful hat.

Good to know, I have been checking out Esther Weiss' website and had come across Daquino as well which looked good. Without meaning to thread-jack, what did you go for?

Good to know, I have been checking out Esther Weiss' website and had come across Daquino as well which looked good. Without meaning to thread-jack, what did you go for?
Esther made me a wonderful rich mid brown high crown rolled brim....an exaggerated Lord's hat slightly western in look. I have emailed Daquino and exchanged ideas but they don't have the colour of felt I am after. The FEPSA I have I bought from Mike at NW Hats in Oregon. He has some FEPSA felts in a dark brown . It is just rabbit but a great felt and it makes me want to get a FEPSA in beaver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21