Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Peter Bomben

New in Town
My Dad recently passed away. He had 16 Biltmore hats -- some probably 40/50 years old. I'm trying to find someone in the Toronto area who can assess their value. Any suggestions? Here's a few of them
95158f93ce3d80781cbd25b0a5a33cfb.jpg
b18423131973e88d7b4fefe79229bc08.jpg
af728b305e0848b810fd0667d862128d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 73550 View attachment 73551 View attachment 73549 View attachment 73548
Found something similiar. The tags say stafford. Not exactly a hollywood jacket from what you guys have said but its similar. Got it for 2 bucks at my salvation army thrift store. Says stafford on the inside tags. View attachment 73548

Looks super! I'd suggest wearing it inside-out so the tags are visible. With that great of a bargain, I'd be BRAGGING, showing the tags to everybody!!

Wear it in the best of health, H.Addict.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 73550 View attachment 73551 View attachment 73549 View attachment 73548
Found something similiar. The tags say stafford. Not exactly a hollywood jacket from what you guys have said but its similar. Got it for 2 bucks at my salvation army thrift store. Says stafford on the inside tags. View attachment 73548
A JC Penney brand. There's a thread over in the sports jacket area about them. I found one, NWT, at the local Goodwill store for $9.99 and think it's a great jacket for the price!

i-VL54P8f-L.jpg

Marcelle

New in Town
Afternoon All,

I wouldn't like some advice. I've started making Felt hats and have started on wool felt first. The issue I am having is stiffening the felts. I have used a PVC stiffener which doesn’t give me the results I want. I have now moved onto a shellac (Colron Shellac for French polishing) which seems to do the trick but it leaves behind a light brown residue. I have tried steaming it, the pressing it to try and work it into the felt but no such luck. The reason I’m using this is it’s the only option I have to use in the UK other than buying a flammable felt stiffener from one supplier here and paying £50 for a 500ml bottle.

Is there any advice you could give me please?

Ps is there anyone here on this forum who makes rounding jacks?

Regards

Marcelle

RJR

Afternoon All,

I wouldn't like some advice. I've started making Felt hats and have started on wool felt first. The issue I am having is stiffening the felts. I have used a PVC stiffener which doesn’t give me the results I want. I have now moved onto a shellac (Colron Shellac for French polishing) which seems to do the trick but it leaves behind a light brown residue. I have tried steaming it, the pressing it to try and work it into the felt but no such luck. The reason I’m using this is it’s the only option I have to use in the UK other than buying a flammable felt stiffener from one supplier here and paying £50 for a 500ml bottle.

Is there any advice you could give me please?

Ps is there anyone here on this forum who makes rounding jacks?

Regards

Marcelle
There is a thread on stiffeners you can study.
Yes,Lounger Humanshoes makes rounding jacks.

Ranbro

New in Town
Here's a question for our Hatters or Conversion Pro. Can a hat in a larger size be reblocked into a smaller size? As an example, can an Akubra Stylemaster in a size 62 be reblocked to a size 57, thus providing a taller, less tapered crown?

Thanks,
Randy

Here's a question for our Hatters or Conversion Pro. Can a hat in a larger size be reblocked into a smaller size? As an example, can an Akubra Stylemaster in a size 62 be reblocked to a size 57, thus providing a taller, less tapered crown?

Thanks,
Randy

While I would normally say yes, that's a decent size difference. If the 62 started off with a larger felt hood than a 57 would, that would pose a challenge.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner