Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Can't find the "Lee" thread. Can anybody enlighten me as to what this is? All I know is Lee Fifth Ave. White Label "Handlee." 2.5 in brim. All I know is it's unworn and never creased. Recent ebay purchase. Thanks.
$_3-2.jpg
$_3-17.jpg
$_3-13.jpg
$_3-6.jpg
$_3-20.jpg
$_1-31.jpg

Captain O

One of the Regulars
Say, Red.

How is the quality of Christy of London's Derby? If I can't get to Eugene, I may resort to a Christy of London's Derby. At nearly $250.00 I hope that their quality would be excellent.

A little help here?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Say, Red.

How is the quality of Christy of London's Derby? If I can't get to Eugene, I may resort to a Christy of London's Derby. At nearly $250.00 I hope that their quality would be excellent.

A little help here?
I don't know of many, if any, modern hats that are as nice as a custom from a reputable hatter like the guys and gals here on the Fedora Lounge.

IMO/IME, if a newly manufactured hat runs $250, then go for the custom. The fit will be better and the felt will be higher quality.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
I don't know of many, if any, modern hats that are as nice as a custom from a reputable hatter like the guys and gals here on the Fedora Lounge.

IMO/IME, if a newly manufactured hat runs $250, then go for the custom. The fit will be better and the felt will be higher quality.

Thanks, brother. At 62, I only want the best. (I plan on wearing it for the next 20-25 years).

That makes sense, doesn't it?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Red. If I have to make a 135 mile trip to Eugene, so be it. I may have to hitchhike there, but it will be worth it.
I've driven down several times and have 2 nice beaver felt customs from Mike, one in pecan and another in silverbelly. He has also worked on 4 other hats for me. Excellent work on all. It's about 90 miles from our place to NW Hats in Eugene, OR.

Mike measured the size and shape of my head the first time we went down. The 2nd custom I ordered was all by email, and then Mike shipped me the hat. Perfect fit, beautiful work.

Say, Red.

A little help here?
My Christy's is vintage, probably from the 60s and maybe equestrian. Actually, a modern derby will never be of the same quality as a vintage. They are kind of plentiful on Ebay. If you are not a super huge size, at any given time there are all flavors of bowlers and derbys floating around. I paid $20 for the Christy's just because I wanted the hard case it came with. I just ended up with a mystery Derby for $27.00 just to get the interesting box it came with. Should be here Tuesday.

All things being equal, I would go vintage for a derby and have Mike Miller make you a custom fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner