Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
I'm a massive Beck fan. I'm pretty sure it's not the same hat.
The picture on the cover of Morning Phase was taken in 2008 in Japan while touring Modern Guilt. That hat can be seen a lot in that era, including the music video for Modern Guilt.
It's a lot bigger and floppies than the one he's been wearing since, which you can see in Heart Like a Drum video.
Beck is a big hat collector, and I'd imagine would be right at home here in the lounge!
Anyhoo, because those hats, I'm addition to a white one he's been wearing, are sortve his "touring" hats, I'd imagine they were made custom by someone in LA. Although, his Morning Phase hat looks similar to a Stetson Playboy in style. It's a relatively low crown with a center crease around a 2 5/8 brim.
Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer. I've been wondering the exact make of that hat for some time, myself.

Yun_bw

New in Town
Hi, I'm looking for a Panama hat around $100 (if possible cheaper would be better). Any recommendations for a good value entry level hatmakers? Open to vintage and used as well. Thank you

I suggest two possible sources; One is on Etsy, Tom Gomez Hats, he specializes in Panama hats. His price point is higher than you state but they are great hats and a big step up in style from your usual Panama. The other source is Mike at NorthWest Hats. He lists Panama hats from $100 and he does the blocking in his shop so you can get a style that you want.
I have purchased off Ebay and have had good success but the shops I purchased from no longer seem to be around so cannot give a recommendation there.

I second what Belfast boy says about Tom Gomez. I think one of his Cuencas can be had for around $135. Mine, bought about two years ago is still going strong and it gets worn a lot.

Yun_bw

New in Town
I suggest two possible sources; One is on Etsy, Tom Gomez Hats, he specializes in Panama hats. His price point is higher than you state but they are great hats and a big step up in style from your usual Panama. The other source is Mike at NorthWest Hats. He lists Panama hats from $100 and he does the blocking in his shop so you can get a style that you want.
I have purchased off Ebay and have had good success but the shops I purchased from no longer seem to be around so cannot give a recommendation there.

I will check him out in Esty. I wonder how's JJhats for panama? Thanks

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hi, I'm looking for a Panama hat around $100 (if possible cheaper would be better). Any recommendations for a good value entry level hatmakers? Open to vintage and used as well. Thank you
Biltmore Hats has a really decent selection of pretty cool looking Panama and straw hats. Wouldn't fool with "Shantung." There's always ebay with some great bargains. Look closely at the pics for obvious flaws and communicate with the sellers to make sure the hats are represented properly and shipped properly as well. Good luck

Yun_bw

New in Town
Biltmore Hats has a really decent selection of pretty cool looking Panama and straw hats. Wouldn't fool with "Shantung." There's always ebay with some great bargains. Look closely at the pics for obvious flaws and communicate with the sellers to make sure the hats are represented properly and shipped properly as well. Good luck
Ok I will check it out. What do I search in eBay? "Panama hat"? Also, how's the quality of JJ hats? Thank yoi

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
See my earlier answer in the Q and A thread. Its where you also asked the question and stated that your price point was "$100 if possible (cheaper would be better.)"

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Ok I will check it out. What do I search in eBay? "Panama hat"? Also, how's the quality of JJ hats? Thank yoi
Yes. Panama or straw hats or vintage straw hats on ebay. JJ is a good shop but you need to look for sales to find sumthin decent for $100 or less. If you feel comfortable buying sight unseen go online and start your searches. Look for sales as there are great prices out there from Internet merchants.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Buying hats online is a very tricky business, and I've found straws to be particularly troublesome. Hats that look great in promotional shots often prove to be major disappointments. For the price range you mentioned, I'd strongly suggest Sunbody.com, especially their Fedora section. They're solidly made, can withstand some rough treatment, and, best of all, can survive rainstorms. I recently got a custom job from them that is absolutely beautiful, and it was only about $50.00. Check out the Sunbody thread on this forum, and good luck.

You might also look at Sunbody's selection of hats. They're decent straw hats at reasonable prices, provide excellent sun protection, and you won't have to worry if you get caught wearing one in the rain like you would with most straw hats.

Edit: D'oh! TropicalBob beat me to it while I was typing. ;)

tropicalbob

Hi,

I'm thinking to get my first hat, which is a panama hat because LA is pretty hot in the summer and I need some protection. Anyways, I'm completely lost on which hatmakers should I go for panama hats my budget is $100 +_$20. I know it's not much section for that price range. However, I'm still unsure how will I put the hat into my daily wear. What is the best value hatmakers for that price range (the cheaper the better)? I'm ok with used hats and vintage. Hat size is 7.5 US

Thank you!
I also just responded on the Q and A.

Yun_bw

New in Town
Buying hats online is a very tricky business, and I've found straws to be particularly troublesome. Hats that look great in promotional shots often prove to be major disappointments. For the price range you mentioned, I'd strongly suggest Sunbody.com, especially their Fedora section. They're solidly made, can withstand some rough treatment, and, best of all, can survive rainstorms. I recently got a custom job from them that is absolutely beautiful, and it was only about $50.00. Check out the Sunbody thread on this forum, and good luck.

I was checking their 2.5 inch brim fedora, but I want to know if it's flat brim or it have the curve like the typical ones

tropicalbob

I was checking their 2.5 inch brim fedora, but I want to know if it's flat brim or it have the curve like the typical ones
One of the best things about their hats is that you can hold them under a faucet and shape them any way you like. If you look on the website you'll see where they discuss the shaping process. We've also talked about it not too long ago on the Sunbody thread. Check out Zombie's recent pics.

One of the best things about their hats is that you can hold them under a faucet and shape them any way you like. If you look on the website you'll see where they discuss the shaping process. We've also talked about it not too long ago on the Sunbody thread. Check out Zombie's recent pics.
I'll save him a little trouble. Here's what my Sunbody looked like when I received it...

Sunbody_Oak_Fedora_Before_zpskmag7y5m.jpg

...and what it looked like after I had shaped it and changed the ribbon.

Sunbody_Oak_Fedora_After_3_zpsynzdohhe.jpg

It wasn't a huge change--tighten the pinch, deepen the side dents, lower the back of the crown, and give the brim some curl. But, this being my first straw hat, I was surprised by how easy it was to shape: Soak it in water for two minutes, shape it, and let it dry; something I'm told shouldn't be done with most straw hats. To be honest, I think replacing the ribbon with that puggaree did far more to change the hat's appearance than my feeble efforts.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
I'll save him a little trouble. Here's what my Sunbody looked like when I received it...

Sunbody_Oak_Fedora_Before_zpskmag7y5m.jpg

...and what it looked like after I had shaped it and changed the ribbon.

Sunbody_Oak_Fedora_After_3_zpsynzdohhe.jpg

It wasn't a huge change--tighten the pinch, deepen the side dents, lower the back of the crown, and give the brim some curl. But, this being my first straw hat, I was surprised by how easy it was to shape: Soak it in water for two minutes, shape it, and let it dry; something I'm told shouldn't be done with most straw hats. To be honest, I think replacing the ribbon with that puggaree did far more to change the hat's appearance than my feeble efforts.

Well, your new bash is awesome, too. The hat looks great all around!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Fair point; I am looking for a general all around casual or semi-dress that I can wear out and about. The Stetson is new, stock clearance open crown and discounted to same price as a CD. I don't want to worry about the hat (as it is not vintage), and can wear on work trips (I travel a lot short haul, but don't want to risk the older pieces).

Premier Stratoliner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy