Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
there is no "real" modern Stratoliner ... it doesn't exists

what you see are modern replicas of what once was a beautiful hat with the name Stetson stamped on it ... which also no longer exists.

if you held a real Stratoliner in your left hand and a modern replica in your right you would put what's in your left hand on your head and wash the car with your right
Hahahahaha. You are just being so polite.

what you see are modern replicas of what once was a beautiful hat with the name Stetson stamped on it ... which also no longer exists.

if you held a real Stratoliner in your left hand and a modern replica in your right you would put what's in your left hand on your head and wash the car with your right
:) You slay me, Ant!

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Bingo

GHT

I'll Lock Up
there is no "real" modern Stratoliner ... it doesn't exist

Spot the fake:
stetson strat..jpg stetson stratoliner.jpg

srq2002

Familiar Face
Thanks Mike... You da Man...!!!
My only reference has been Jazz and cool-cats...(totally forgot the Zoot Suit with the wide brim) thanks for the history.
BTW I just acquired a VS porkpie in Coyote with a stellar dark green ribbon... determined to get all my 8 Customs up here on FL ...

I'm still not comfortable seeing my visage with this silhouette. I usually wear my hat canted to the right as in my avatar.... and of course brim snapped down... I watched Donnie Brasco and followed Al Pacino with his PP sitting slightly back on his head... Dealing with wearin my PP not having it wear me...!!!

Do you have a photo of the Coyote color to share?

Debussychopin

New in Town
Anyone know how to fix this, I'm sure the answer is steam and shape but in case, I have a firenze (maybe firenze owners? Maybe not specific to firenze who knows)
The front brim snaps WAY high up. It looks silly like a duck bill. I don't wear my brims down but when i examined it , it looks like the brim starts the bend too early from at the seam where the crown meets it. Rather than first sloping down then sweeping upwards.

I try shaping the brim down from the crown first and it seems like the hat likes that config, and it looks normal snapped up front brim. But after touching the hat a bit while on my head, it snaps back to its upwards config again.

It doesn't feel like a steam job but more like a construction flaw. If there is any easy workaround like tape or what have you if this is a known quirk , I don't mind employing that. Thanks.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Anyone know how to fix this, I'm sure the answer is steam and shape but in case, I have a firenze (maybe firenze owners? Maybe not specific to firenze who knows)
The front brim snaps WAY high up. It looks silly like a duck bill. I don't wear my brims down but when i examined it , it looks like the brim starts the bend too early from at the seam where the crown meets it. Rather than first sloping down then sweeping upwards.

I try shaping the brim down from the crown first and it seems like the hat likes that config, and it looks normal snapped up front brim. But after touching the hat a bit while on my head, it snaps back to its upwards config again.

It doesn't feel like a steam job but more like a construction flaw. If there is any easy workaround like tape or what have you if this is a known quirk , I don't mind employing that. Thanks.
Pics would help. I'm visual not descriptive .

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up

Is the hat tight ? Any kind of pressure around the base of the crown can affect the brim. If after steaming the front of the brim to get it where you want but then reverts to it's initial shape whilst on the head, fiddling with it or not, does sound like some part of your noggin' is exerting undue pressure to a strategic point at the base of the crown. If you don't want a professional solution, you could try steaming the front of the brim whilst the hat is slightly stretched with something like a Hat-Jack ( please note; this is not spam :rolleyes:) in situ.

EDIT; Just found out the Firenze is a Stetson so if all else fails, you may just have to accept that your hat is crap. :D

Last edited:

Debussychopin

New in Town
Theoretically how many times can you brush your hat before you wear the felt thin?
After every brush or lint roll a noticeable amt of color does come out which upon closer inspection it is small hairs of fur.

Is it like your cheap sweaters where you eventually use the lint ball shaver once too much, and you end up w sweater cloth that is almost see-through when held up to light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails