Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

humanshoes

One Too Many
thanks for clarifying Bob... I've suffered from it for my entire life and am well aware

it's also very annoying the way people throw around things like ... " oh my god I just have to have a strawberry smoothie every week I'm so OCD" ... uh ... no you're not ... you're just a moron who likes smoothies who knows nothing about OCD

those 3 letters have become like the go to claim for anyone who does anything they think is fkn quirky ... don't get me started

live with it and want to smash your head against the wall because you can't get out of the house due to rituals all the while knowing how absolutely ridiculous it is ... then see how much these idiots want to claim owning it

sorry ... sore subject for me :) .... carry on
I don't really think that most people actually believe they have these serious, and sometimes devastating, debilitating disorders. I rather think that it's sometimes just a convenient and inadvertently insensitive way to explain away certain idiosyncrasies or other habitual behaviors. As for me, having overcome my own addiction to alcohol and other nasty little controlled substances, I've come to realize that my addictive personality will always be with me and that the very best I can hope to do is to channel those impulses into harmless and creative pursuits. I've not been satisfied to just make fur felt fedoras, oh no. I've been compelled to learn to make Milan straw hats, fur trapper hats, 8 panel newsboy caps, smoking caps, etc., etc., etc. My house is filled with the things I make for myself and for the benefit of others including hats, hat tools, guitars, leather goods, cabinetry, etc. I make these things not only because I enjoy making them, but also because I have to. I don't even really have a house, but more of a three bedroom, two bath shop that I happen to live in. God only knows where my compulsions will lead me next, but, as long as they are healthy endeavors and nobody gets hurt, who gives a shit. Collecting is, by it's very nature, obsessive behavior and if, indeed, many members here have a hat collecting "addiction" then, as long as the bills get paid, the babies don't go hungry, and momma (or daddy) gets a new pair of shoes, I believe it is one of the very best kind to have. Oh, and please excuse the rambling. As a hatter, I don't use mercury but I'm no less mad.

AbridgedPause

One of the Regulars
The idea of sanding your hat's felt may seem a bit scary but it's actually not so bad if the area you are trying to clean or smooth is fairly shallow. You can start with really thick sand paper to get the major flaws out, use the really fine paper to even everything out, then take steam and a nice brush to the whole thing. (Note: when you are using fine sand paper and a brush, it's important to keep the strokes counter-clockwise). I think I've sanded the entire brim area of my last three ebay finds to either remove moth nibbles or even out the color.

If the stain goes deep, I don't know that you'll be able to remove it if a naptha bath is unsuccessful =(

Thanks for the reassuring and detailed message. I'll give that a try.

Can someone tell me approximately when Stetson started to use size tags with standard units and metric measurements together? I don't need an exact date, just approximately when this started to rule out a hat from consideration. Thanks.

Such as:
c28b469957441cb38a05b87b99c7eb67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

KarlCrow

One Too Many
OCD is more irritating and exhausting than anything else ... I'm not complaining ... people have real things to complain about ... I don't believe OCD is one of them

it just irks me sometimes how easily it is thrown around ... I'll stop now before I start sounding more ridiculous than I already do
I talk down my depression for similar reasons, there's always a bigger fish.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Karl, how is/was the hurricane? Any damage?
To be honest I would say the country shutting down and the precautions were OTT, but then my electricity and water stayed on and I am not part of the three families mourning a loved one today. It was gusty here more than constantly windy, and my house was battered mostly after the radio was telling me the worst had passed, so far as I can see there's no damage to my house or yard etc. My street runs south to north, so the street took a whipping rather than the houses. It just channelled it well, more out of luck than design. Hey thanks for asking. (-:

To be honest I would say the country shutting down and the precautions were OTT, but then my electricity and water stayed on and I am not part of the three families mourning a loved one today. It was gusty here more than constantly windy, and my house was battered mostly after the radio was telling me the worst had passed, so far as I can see there's no damage to my house or yard etc. My street runs south to north, so the street took a whipping rather than the houses. It just channelled it well, more out of luck than design. Hey thanks for asking. (-:
I take it then that it has passed. Glad to hear that you & your's are safe & all fine. My thoughts go out to those who aren't.

Good to hear you're OK.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

So glad to hear you were spared. I was thinking of you today watching the news.

KarlCrow

One Too Many
I hope all the distilleries are safe!

So glad to hear you were spared. I was thinking of you today watching the news.
thanks guys but as it was downgraded before making landfall it really wasn't as bad as it might have been, and 99% of people stayed safely indoors in brick houses. There were more refuse bins than cars flying by our street on the busy malahide road. I had a stomach bug anyway so was more feeling bad about that. I think over 100,000 people are still without electricity and it was cold enough last night but hopefully that will be sorted before it causes much harm.

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Alicia Bandana, ABHatters.com, in San Diego, CA

Searching the internet for hat repair, restoration, cleaning in Southern California, I found this business listed. She established her own business about 2009 after experience with Wild Bill's and Boot Barn in El Cajon. The SoCal-Gunfighters newslist announcement of her new business is the only reference I can find. Has anyone here had her clean or repair hats and care to comment about the quality of her work? Thanks.

This is an old post I found via search, but no one answered.
So, has anyone used AB Hatters?
Can anyone refer me to a hat repair facility in So. Cal ( Riverside) area?
I need a sweatband replaced in a cowboy hat and do not want to spend as much in shipping as a replacement hat would cost. It's a decent hat, but not a great hat; so, it is not worth an expensive rennovation.
Thanks.

blueAZNmonkey

One Too Many
This is an old post I found via search, but no one answered.
So, has anyone used AB Hatters?
Can anyone refer me to a hat repair facility in So. Cal ( Riverside) area?
I need a sweatband replaced in a cowboy hat and do not want to spend as much in shipping as a replacement hat would cost. It's a decent hat, but not a great hat; so, it is not worth an expensive rennovation.
Thanks.

Hmmm I've never heard of them... They don't have a yelp listing. Have you tried calling?

Peter_E

Familiar Face
Hmmm I've never heard of them... They don't have a yelp listing. Have you tried calling?

No, I have not called them yet. I am still hoping to find someone closer. San Diego is about 1 to 1-1/2 hr drive for me. The prices on their website seem to be about half of those of others. But, based on "you get what you pay for", I am a bit wary. But, if I can't find anybody else by next week, I might give them a try.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21