Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

boze

One of the Regulars
I'd go with double sided tape on that one. Even if repairable, it seems doing it with the reed tape still attached would be a tricky task.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
Oh hey thanks! I'm late seeing this since you quoted Anthony rather than me. I cut the old sweat out this morning and ordered a replacement from Scott. I didn't imagine I'd be replacing another sweat so soon but the stitches on this one were bad and it also had some sharpie writing on it and hole punched initials.

It'll give me a chance to use a smaller needle at least. That fat needle that comes with the Speedy Stitcher was the biggest mistake of my first effort.

Guess I'll need a yard of brown grosgrain now too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

boze

One of the Regulars
It can be resewed as long the leather is in good condition. I've done that to a 30x beaver Stetson, but I removed the sweat (damaged and glued to the felt), repaired it and resew it.
From this
30xstet04.jpg

To this
30xsweat07.jpg

It's not pretty nor well made but it's there and no one is peeking to see if it's perfect when I'm wearing it.
Nice! Didn't see that either! =)

Oh hey thanks! I'm late seeing this since you quoted Anthony rather than me. I cut the old sweat out this morning and ordered a replacement from Scott. I didn't imagine I'd be replacing another sweat so soon but the stitches on this one were bad and it also had some sharpie writing on it and hole punched initials.

It'll give me a chance to use a smaller needle at least. That fat needle that comes with the Speedy Stitcher was the biggest mistake of my first effort.

Guess I'll need a yard of brown grosgrain now too.

Yeah, sorry. Should have tagged you. Scott sells pretty comfy sweats. Good luck!

bearinfedora

Familiar Face
I bought this Stetson back in 2011, and for some reason I left and forgot in my storage room. Today, I was looking for some stuff in the storage room, and found this hat sitting in a box.
I'd like to bring this hat in service and wear in where I won't dare to wear anything expensive, such as in clubs where chicks tend to attack your hat and start taking selfies :D

The problem: Well, the brim goes up from sides, and looks like gull wing. Any idea how can I make the brim straight?
Hat is wool felt (100% wool as Stetson writes).

KaK5S6h.jpg

EUugMDf.jpg

OBlLQHt.jpg

I have had limited success straightening brims by wetting the brim and applying a steam iron and some pressure. Make sure you use a cotton cloth between the hat and iron. Now I repeat I have had limited success as sometimes the source of the gull wing is the hat is slightly too small and the pressure front to back pushes up the sides. No fix for that cause other than a complete reblock and no worth it IMHO on a wool hat..
Mike at NW Hats advised me that he used to flatten his brims with a hot iron and hand pressure but that was an unsatisfactory solution and it was not until he had a hydraulic press made specifically to flatten brims that he actually got them to lay flat.
Now all my experience is with felted hats and a wool hat just may be a whole diff ballgame. But on the plus side you don't like it as it is so give it a shot and if you screw it up no big loss.

Jon the Lecturer

New in Town
Hi all,

This is an amazing forum. And this is my very first post, so forgive me if I posted it in the wrong section.

I have always loved hats, 10 years ago I hat a German made Fedora, much to my dumbness I ruined it. Then I bought an Ecuadoran Panama Hat last summer and finally got myself a Biltmore Elegenza Fedora. So, now I am set for both summer and winter!

I have a few question, I would be grateful if you can help me.

When was this made? I bought it on Ebay, it had the tag on. But I am just curious. Information on Biltmore says that the factory closed and moved to Texas. But this is obviously Canadian.

Is it rabbit or beaver fur? Or is it fur at all?

Is Biltmore a good brand? And by good I mean quality, will this hat last me at least 15 years?

Also, how do I simply take care of this beauty? When I wear it I bend the front part of the brim? Should I straighten it after I am done wearing it?

And one final question, I ruined my German hat when it got soaked under the rain. What do I do if this gets wet again?

Thank you so much, I appreciate all your help.

Jon

Attachments

• 20171115_131204.jpg
    20171115_131204.jpg
    788.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20171115_131126.jpg
    20171115_131126.jpg
    557.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 20171115_131135.jpg
    20171115_131135.jpg
    600.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20171115_131155.jpg
    20171115_131155.jpg
    807.3 KB · Views: 79

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I bought this Stetson back in 2011, and for some reason I left and forgot in my storage room. Today, I was looking for some stuff in the storage room, and found this hat sitting in a box.
I'd like to bring this hat in service and wear in where I won't dare to wear anything expensive, such as in clubs where chicks tend to attack your hat and start taking selfies :D

The problem: Well, the brim goes up from sides, and looks like gull wing. Any idea how can I make the brim straight?
Hat is wool felt (100% wool as Stetson writes).

KaK5S6h.jpg

EUugMDf.jpg

OBlLQHt.jpg
I personally like the flange and little dip down in front with the slightly up turned sides. As a matter of fact I often tweek some of my brims to enhance those curving lines. I believe it was how the hat was made.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hi all,

This is an amazing forum. And this is my very first post, so forgive me if I posted it in the wrong section.

I have always loved hats, 10 years ago I hat a German made Fedora, much to my dumbness I ruined it. Then I bought an Ecuadoran Panama Hat last summer and finally got myself a Biltmore Elegenza Fedora. So, now I am set for both summer and winter!

I have a few question, I would be grateful if you can help me.

When was this made? I bought it on Ebay, it had the tag on. But I am just curious. Information on Biltmore says that the factory closed and moved to Texas. But this is obviously Canadian.

Is it rabbit or beaver fur? Or is it fur at all?

Is Biltmore a good brand? And by good I mean quality, will this hat last me at least 15 years?

Also, how do I simply take care of this beauty? When I wear it I bend the front part of the brim? Should I straighten it after I am done wearing it?

And one final question, I ruined my German hat when it got soaked under the rain. What do I do if this gets wet again?

Thank you so much, I appreciate all your help.

Jon
Probably not beaver. Stark and Legum is still in biz and if you invert the sweatband you may find a manufacture date stamped on the inside.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy