Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Newbie to hats. I know zilch.

Want to try a fedora. I am thinking before I go for vintage, or certainly bespoke that I try a new hat. Looking into Stefano, Biltmore, or Stetson. I'm 6'-1", 195 lb. tall, with a long face. Head measures 23.5 inches, so I am assuming 7.5 size. Don't want a gangster, pork pie, or cowboy hat. Somewhat conservative, relatively low crown and narrow brim. I am hard on cloths, It sometimes rains a lot where I live, and was thinking about instead of pure felt, going with a felt wool combo.

I like wearing boots, jeans, and leather jackets. Does a fedora work with this style?

All input welcome.

Thanks,

Jon-Paul Denaro

New in Town
Thanks for your help so far.
Well, I'm saving up for a nice one but I'd like one just to practice dancing with in the mean time. I don't know too much about hats and I'd like your opinion on this hat. https://www.amazon.com/Mjb2c-Michae..._3?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=SH1YYZ019FMPDP836VY6 like the material and the quality just my looking at it.

Hi. I found out who made all Michael Jackson’s hats. Worth & Worth in New York. I sent them an email and they confirmed they made the hats for him. https://www.hatshop.com/shop/view/venezia-mendriso#.WhIw5aJ_WaO

Jon-Paul Denaro

New in Town
7A97BBD6-5A58-4196-A8DA-554B532C49DE.jpeg

Want to try a fedora. I am thinking before I go for vintage, or certainly bespoke that I try a new hat. Looking into Stefano, Biltmore, or Stetson. I'm 6'-1", 195 lb. tall, with a long face. Head measures 23.5 inches, so I am assuming 7.5 size. Don't want a gangster, pork pie, or cowboy hat. Somewhat conservative, relatively low crown and narrow brim. I am hard on cloths, It sometimes rains a lot where I live, and was thinking about instead of pure felt, going with a felt wool combo.

I like wearing boots, jeans, and leather jackets. Does a fedora work with this style?

All input welcome.

Thanks,
I would suggest checking out the Akubra line Everything Australian or Hats Direct have great pricing. Akubra offers some mid crown, mid brim width models that in my opinion offer great value in a full rabbit felt hat. Akubra hats handle the rain well. (I know as I live in the Pac North West) They also age well. This brand is what I started with 25 years ago and am still a big fan.....great value for $$$.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi. I found out who made all Michael Jackson’s hats. Worth & Worth in New York. I sent them an email and they confirmed they made the hats for him. https://www.hatshop.com/shop/view/venezia-mendriso#.WhIw5aJ_WaO

I'm not so sure how much connection the current Worth & Worth staff would have to those hats. IIRC, Mr. Palacios took ownership of the business within the past five years or so. At least, that's how long they've been branded as "Worth & Worth by Orlando Palacios."

[QUOTE="jonesy86, post: 2330393, member: 40761fitsthe description y belfastboy
Thanks for the recommendation. I am looking at the Stylemaster in carbon grey. I was originally thinking black, but grey goes with just about every color no? Looks like a good starter hat. Somewhere between Bogart, and Jones.
Cheers![/QUOTE]
I have that hat without the brim binding. It fits the description of what you want and it is a very good hat. I vote grey!

OK here is an odd one. Did Stetson offer a line of women's hats with the Stratoliner label? I recently picked up a hat box off Ebay thinking it was a standard Stratoliner vintage box. The pictures were deceiving, but what showed up was a TINY, NARROW Strat box. It is about 2 inches narrower than my other oval hat boxes. It just looks "lady like", too small for a wide brimmed fedora. Or maybe it was for a 6 7/8? kind of different, about all I have that will come close to fitting in this box is my stingy Cavanagh.

19Nov17 Tiny Stratoliner box side.jpg
19Nov17 Tiny Stratoliner box Boeing.jpg
19Nov17 Tiny Stratoliner box label.jpg
19Nov17 Tiny Stratoliner box Gannon narrow.jpg

I second Belfastboy's recommendation to look at Akubra hats. In my opinion they're decent quality fur felt hats at a reasonable price. They also have a reputation for durability and, speaking from personal experience, they like rain. Everything Australian is a reputable and reliable vendor with good prices, and I've always received good service from them.

Some say no, I say yes. I wear mine very casually with tee shirts and jeans all of the time. As long as you don't appear to be self-conscious about wearing it, you'll be fine. Or, as has been stated here many times, "Wear the hat; don't let the hat wear you."

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Got a question about the Australian military slouch hat. I recently ordered one from David Morgan. I was expecting the military 7-pleat puggaree that doesn't require pins to attach. What I got on my hat looks like some olive green commercial puggaree that attaches with a pin at both ends. I ended up ordering the "real" one from Lawrence Ordnance.

What gives? Does Akubra Australia not ship the slouch hat with the military puggaree anymore? Every photo I've seen of an Australian soldier shows the 7-pleat puggaree that you have to squeeze down over the crown to install.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
OK here is an odd one. Did Stetson offer a line of women's hats with the Stratoliner label? I recently picked up a hat box off Ebay thinking it was a standard Stratoliner vintage box. The pictures were deceiving, but what showed up was a TINY, NARROW Strat box. It is about 2 inches narrower than my other oval hat boxes. It just looks "lady like", too small for a wide brimmed fedora. Or maybe it was for a 6 7/8? kind of different, about all I have that will come close to fitting in this box is my stingy Cavanagh.

View attachment 94386 View attachment 94387 View attachment 94388 View attachment 94389
I've never seen one quite like it, Mike. More rare than the others so worth more to a collector??? Cool box in any event.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

View attachment 94386 View attachment 94387 View attachment 94388 View attachment 94389
that is how most strat boxes are ... the round ones are extremely rare

they made them like that to keep the flange of the brim ... or so the legend goes

it gave the whole fuselage feel ... marketing

all of mine are like that ... I've actually never seen a round one in person

5b4e4ddb5a3791d0f3ce97ba04940f80.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

they made them like that to keep the flange of the brim ... or so the legend goes

The voice of experience shines through, and I had it exactly 100% backwards. Great collection, Anthony.

I thought that might be the case, but I've never seen one in person. I had no idea there were round ones.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

All input welcome.

Thanks,
I skipped over the last bit.......my "uniform" of choice is jeans, leather jacket and boots (western or my Danner's). To me the perfect topper to the look is to add one of my fedoras.

theCOOP

New in Town
I second Belfastboy's recommendation to look at Akubra hats. In my opinion they're decent quality fur felt hats at a reasonable price. They also have a reputation for durability and, speaking from personal experience, they like rain. Everything Australian is a reputable and reliable vendor with good prices, and I've always received good service from them.

Some say no, I say yes. I wear mine very casually with tee shirts and jeans all of the time. As long as you don't appear to be self-conscious about wearing it, you'll be fine. Or, as has been stated here many times, "Wear the hat; don't let the hat wear you."

The way I see it, most people don't know you haven't worn that hat, those sunglasses, crazy boots...

Me: plaid shirts, black leather jackets, jean jackets, jeans, Doc Martens of Converse Chucks. Its all good.

Last edited:

Now I feel better, the small overall size was a puzzle. I'll have to try to fit my Knox Strat clone inside to see this concept in action. Do you keep your vintage Stratoliners cooped up inside? Seeing this stack of Stratoliner Hangars is truly impressive. And the difference in size in comparison with the Whippet box gives perspective. Thank you my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner