Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cornshucker77

Call Me a Cab
Greetings 77:
Wow guy that one really sucks! If you tried a gas bath and heat to no avail i’m wondering what type of glue it is. Water soluble maybe? Is the glue spot a thick convex shape? Before you freeze and pick it off i might try a targeted water soak. First i would try and reduce the thickness and surface integrity of the glue with a pin or needle. That should increase surface area for water (assuming soluable). I’d pick as much off the top as possible, then try water soaked cotton balls on top of the abraded spot also under the brim. If it’s soluable you may get lucky and lift it off. If not then try the freeze and pick but i fear you may take a divot with it. If the glue is soaked deeply into the felt i imagine all bets are off. Good luck. Let us know how it fairs.
Be well. Bowen
Thanks Bowen I'll try it.

glider

A-List Customer
I have a question that will make me look like I don't know anything about hats. Oh well, here goes. I have a champ that has a string with a button on it that goes around the ribbon and is attached some how. I've seen this before on older hats . What is the purpose of this ? What's it for ? Thanks

I have a question that will make me look like I don't know anything about hats. Oh well, here goes. I have a champ that has a string with a button on it that goes around the ribbon and is attached some how. I've seen this before on older hats . What is the purpose of this ? What's it for ? Thanks

It’s called a wind trolley or a wind cord. It is meant to be used to anchor your hat to your coat so it doesn’t blow away in the wind. Not many people use them as intended but they are sill included on some hats as tradition.

humanshoes

One Too Many
I still offer them on my custom hats at the customer's request (see avatar), but the days of lapel buttonholes, open air trolleys, and thousands of hatted men walking down the windy city streets are, sadly, pretty much gone. Some people like the look, some don't. I know some folks here on the lounge still put the wind/trolley cord to practical use (with some creative attachment methods) and I believe there's a dedicated thread floating around here somewhere.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a Dobbs that I got from moon that has the claylike malleability we are speaking of.
It must change the felt somewhat. I recently received a Premier Stratoliner that was stiff and a huge disappointment compared to my other hats of the same model. After working the crown a while the felt became much more pliable and much softer.

I can see the manipulation breaking down the shellac or other stiffeners and improving the hand and the malleability. I’m sure that this happens. I just don’t see any amount of working the felt getting it to be denser. Also, the vintage hats are consistent throughout the entire felt body so I have to believe their desirable characteristics are intrinsic to the felt and not a result of their owners actions. And yes I do realize that I brought this back to the “now vs then” discussion you were avoiding. Sorry.

Any of my hats that were made before about 1960 have the 'clay' property, so I guess that the mercury variable is mostly irrelevant. Mea culpa.

I love that period of time when men dressed liked they cared. Classic fedora, vest and tie. It’s all about comfort these days, nothing wrong with that, but a man should never and I mean never wear sweatpants to dinner or on a date or to a movie. It’s just wrong.

"SWEAT PANTS"?!?!?!? You must mean undershorts....I never go out in those.....HA;););)
M
PS I agree to ALL you said!!!! However I leave comfort at the house door....I would NEVER go out looking like a lot of people do these days....HELL, many women (and some men) are wearing what are clearly pajamas out and about....especially seen at the local Grocery and Walmart...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused:

I love that period of time when men dressed liked they cared. Classic fedora, vest and tie. It’s all about comfort these days, nothing wrong with that, but a man should never and I mean never wear sweatpants to dinner or on a date or to a movie. It’s just wrong.
...PS I agree to ALL you said!!!! However I leave comfort at the house door....I would NEVER go out looking like a lot of people do these days....HELL, many women (and some men) are wearing what are clearly pajamas out and about....especially seen at the local Grocery and Walmart...:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused:
I would much rather see someone wearing sweatpants or pajamas in public than one of those guys who wears his pants low in the back so that his barely-clad-by-underwear-backside is exposed. Every time I see one of those guys my first thought is, "Jeez, pull your pants up son, you look like an idiot."

"SWEAT PANTS"?!?!?!? You must mean undershorts....I never go out in those.....HA;););)...
So what are you saying, that you don't wear undershorts when you go out in public? :p

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'll never for the life of me understand why some care so deeply about some of the harmless things that others do such as the way they dress

my mother always said something to me that I feel strongly about to this day

"make sure your own back yard is clean before you go knocking on your neighbors doors"

dress as you wish and those folks will do the same ...

as long as someone is not disrespecting me or my family I don't care if they are wearing a rubber bathing suit and flippers at dinner ... and if they were I might send a beer over to their table

I'll never for the life of me understand why some care so deeply about some of the harmless things that others do such as the way they dress

my mother always said something to me that I feel strongly about to this day

"make sure your own back yard is clean before you go knocking on your neighbors doors"

dress as you wish and those folks will do the same ...

as long as someone is not disrespecting me or my family I don't care if they are wearing a rubber bathing suit and flippers at dinner ... and if they were I might send a beer over to their table

Actually, it is not so much that I care how they dress, but that at times, and this is especially true around those who are scantily clad....,especially women......that they make me feel quite uncomfortable around them. I am not a fan of seeing how people dress in their bedrooms, and if I were interested in super tight short shorts and a skimpy halter top, I would venture to the beach (or a street corner). I really, really don't want to "see their junk".

For others it makes me feel that they cannot even respect themselves enough to take some thought to how they dress. That is sad.......
And if those guys only knew the true jailhouse meaning of the low hanging pants.....they may just pull them up!!
M

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it is not so much that I care how they dress, but that at times, and this is especially true around those who are scantily clad....,especially women......that they make me feel quite uncomfortable around them. I am not a fan of seeing how people dress in their bedrooms, and if I were interested in super tight short shorts and a skimpy halter top, I would venture to the beach (or a street corner). I really, really don't want to "see their junk".

For others it makes me feel that they cannot even respect themselves enough to take some thought to how they dress. That is sad.......
And if those guys only knew the true jailhouse meaning of the low hanging pants.....they may just pull them up!!
M
with all due respect ... this is a YOU problem and has absolutely nothing to do with them

So I have a question I've been wondering about quite a while. We all love our vintage hats and some of those have these beautiful liners on them with what we call oilskin or onionskin covering of the crown patch. Usually of a yellow colour and I, for one, am always inclined to buy a hat with that feature. But what exactly is that material? And can it still be bought somewhere? If not is there anything available that resembles it enough? Any thoughts?

barbisio nero_06.jpg
borsalino amiata_07.jpg

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
So I have a question I've been wondering about quite a while. We all love our vintage hats and some of those have these beautiful liners on them with what we call oilskin or onionskin covering of the crown patch. Usually of a yellow colour and I, for one, am always inclined to buy a hat with that feature. But what exactly is that material? And can it still be bought somewhere? If not is there anything available that resembles it enough? Any thoughts?

View attachment 107523 View attachment 107524
Greetings Steur et al:
An interesting topic for sure to me. I have marveled at that very material everytime i see it as long as it is not deteriorating. I do not know the genesis of the material but i say marvel because it is so delicate yet durable. I think it is some sort of semi-permeable membrane blocking hair products, protecting liner, yet allowing heat and vapor to escape, Imho. It almost seems as a weave of some sort. No doubt though, that it was some serious science at the time. Unknowingly the precursor to Gortex? Far, far ahead of it’s time. My only dislike is when it flakes away and that it obscures some SWEET crests. My 2 cents.
Be well. Bowen
PS: doesn’t “Steur” mean “Bull” in Dutch/Flemish? B

View attachment 107523 View attachment 107524
v

I believe it is simply a form of oil-cloth......
M

Greetings Steur et al:
An interesting topic for sure to me. I have marveled at that very material everytime i see it as long as it is not deteriorating. I do not know the genesis of the material but i say marvel because it is so delicate yet durable. I think it is some sort of semi-permeable membrane blocking hair products, protecting liner, yet allowing heat and vapor to escape, Imho. It almost seems as a weave of some sort. No doubt though, that it was some serious science at the time. Unknowingly the precursor to Gortex? Far, far ahead of it’s time. My only dislike is when it flakes away and that it obscures some SWEET crests. My 2 cents.
Be well. Bowen
PS: doesn’t “Steur” mean “Bull” in Dutch/Flemish? B
Bowen, thanks. I'm fascinated by this material too. I think it may be some sort of treated paper, but what kind? One of the members here will surely know (I hope). My last name is the Dutch word for sturgeon actually. The Dutch word for bull is "stier".

with all due respect ... this is a YOU problem and has absolutely nothing to do with them

Moon,
In many respects you are quite right........but I also feel it is a self respect issue......
I am not sure why many want to always display their stuff........are we really just like wild animals?
I thought we were to strive to be better.............
M
But then as you say......it must just be me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner