• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Ask a question, get an answer

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Lefty, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Thanks all for your opinium.

2. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

I've been told I resemble those remarks.

3. Why not just get a SunBody that already has the Gus shape and a better brim width?

https://www.sunbody.com/index.cfm/product/197_3/golden-gus.cfm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zombie_61, Redfokker and Fivesense like this.
  4. Fivesense

Fivesense One of the Regulars

I like the Golden Gus but I'm not going specifically for a traditional Gus. I want a brim somewhere between 3-1/2 to 4" but not bigger (I've got other westerns for that). The idea of the Gus was to reshape the Cattleman to something a little lower (and exposes my lack of experience in shaping hats). I want a more moderate hat for times when I don't want to go full stock western, and something I can wear in my truck. How about that? I've got a full size truck, but because of the sunroof, my 5" crown rubs against the ceiling.

So I have shifted away from the Atwood Austin to an Atwood with an already defined, lower crown (4-3/4 or so) and a 3-1/2" brim. I like palm because I probably can't screw it up if I practice reshaping. In considering palm, I'm also looking at Sunbody.

I know palm leaf can be warmer so I want vents or eyelets. Should I be considering anyone other than Atwood and Sunbody? Candidly, I know I get a lot of hat with Atwood for quite a low price comparatively.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. Even at the height of hat making the continental makers, who were the masters of the long hair felts, used rabbit rather than beaver for some finishes because rabbit was superior for the application.

There is definitely a place for both, but if you don’t want a bunch of caveats I feel comfortable stating the beaver is “better” than rabbit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlee562 and RJR like this.
  6. Art Fawcett

Art Fawcett Sponsoring Affiliate

I think so far most of the answers have missed a crucial point. The actual character of the hair makes all the difference in the world. Can you make a good hat from both rabbit and beaver, in the right hands yes, of course. However, wool and rabbit are essentially straight hairs that will felt nicely but can only achieve density over time whereas Beaver, with the natural "fish hooks" on the hair itself creates a much denser/stronger felt. The denser the felt, the better the finish that can be achieved, the longer water saturation takes to penetrate, and produces a shine not achievable with other hairs. To say that Rabbit and Beaver are equal and there is just a "cool factor" is to be misinformed.

7. Fivesense

What the heck happened to the 10th beaver?

M Hatman likes this.
  8. Ya gotta wonder about that tenth beaver.

M Hatman likes this.
  9. Fivesense

My guess is the 10th was a beaver in rabbit clothing.

M Hatman likes this.
  10. He had already become a hat, and was therefore unavailable for comment.

11. Hear, Hear!! LOL! Now THAT brought a smile to my face. :p

M Hatman and Zombie_61 like this.
  12. andrew_AU

andrew_AU One of the Regulars

13. Hurricane Jack

Hurricane Jack I'll Lock Up

Makes me think of this:

[​IMG]

14. Now THAT's funny!

fabiovenhorst, Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  15. LMAO
    :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
    M

fabiovenhorst likes this.
  16. RJR

RJR I'll Lock Up

:eek:

fabiovenhorst and M Hatman like this.
  17. I THINK..... the 10th beaver was an old one...... who wanted to go out in style........in the form of a custom hat!!!:eek:;):)
    M

Fivesense and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. The Germans and Austrians (other Euro and American) hat companies used Wild Hare not Rabbit for such finishes (Velour, Soleil, Flamand). Wild Hare (Saxon Hare was considered the best) produced the finest Velour finishes.

You can read more here.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/216-hair-velour-real-echter-velour-prime-prima-velour-fabrikation-von-damen-und-herren-filzhüten-der-deustchen-hutmacher-zeitung-1933/

Here is some earlier information.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...lein-und-grossbetrieb-by-carl-bortfeldt-1902/

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 7:41 PM
  19. Wild Hare is difficult to felt but produces the finest long hair finishes (Velour, Soleil, Flamand) and is very durable. I have pre WWII Austrian and German Velours (hot wet brushed) that are very dense with unmatched shine / gloss (Saxon Hare produced the finest). I translated this piece a while ago that contains detailed information on the subject. In this time period (1933) they were moving away from hand wet hot brushing to mechanical hot wet brushing (this takes place during felt production) and cheap imitations were being introduced.

Hair Velour / Real (Echter) Velour / Prime (Prima) Velour Fabrikation von Damen- und Herren- Filzhüten, Der Deustchen Hutmacher Zeitung (1933)

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...lzhüten-der-deustchen-hutmacher-zeitung-1933/

I have other valuable information on German and Austrian long hair felt (Velour, Soleil, Flamand) production but I haven't had a chance to translate.