Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

humanshoes

One Too Many
That’s the term we use Down Under when making / building something
But I see your point of view - and now having a giggle
I remember meeting a young woman from London and at the end of our conversation she said "you'll have to knock me up some time". I replied, "I'll try, but it may take some time". She later explained that, in London, the term "knock me up" means "call me". Who knew? At any rate, please show us some pictures of your hat jack when it finished. I always appreciate seeing homemade hat tools.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My hat blocks serve double duty as stretchers, as well.

With the hat all together (with the sweatband in place) pulling it down firmly on the block as far as it will go serves to stretch the hat a bit. If you have a crooked hat (or crooked head) the hat can be pulled down slightly off-center, and the block will do what a jack does - stretch it ever so slightly and reshape it as desired.

You can get a plastic 'Hat Shaper' online for about 30 bucks.

LevendiPaul

Familiar Face
I remember meeting a young woman from London and at the end of our conversation she said "you'll have to knock me up some time". I replied, "I'll try, but it may take some time". She later explained that, in London, the term "knock me up" means "call me". Who knew? At any rate, please show us some pictures of your hat jack when it finished. I always appreciate seeing homemade hat tools

Ohh the reason I had a giggle was
To knock one up can also mean getting a girl pregnant in our part of the world
We learn something everyday

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spring is here so it’s time to rotate my hats again. Any opinion on what one I should wear this spring? I usually just choose one hat and wear it all the time rather then changing it up every other day.
Adventurebilt
cc6c5584fb5a86d873cf6e82d0940a12.jpg

Natural VS
13a2b8d5c293bf15237b70b5d4587bf6.jpg

Green VS
b82b19100e296256d10a2cb94600dbad.jpg

Or blue VS crossover?
5e286c67337eec1a4145fb5e9bd27f71.jpg

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring is here so it’s time to rotate my hats again. Any opinion on what one I should wear this spring? I usually just choose one hat and wear it all the time rather then changing it up every other day...
I wouldn't wear any of 'em. In fact, to save yourself the embarrassment of being seen in public in any of 'em you should pack 'em up and ship 'em to me. No, wait, it's only spring and your head might get cold, so just send me the last two. Or at least the green VS; I'm digging that ribbon treatment. Wait, what size do you wear again? :cool:

RJR

I wouldn't wear any of 'em. In fact, to save yourself the embarrassment of being seen in public in any of 'em you should pack 'em up and ship 'em to me. No, wait, it's only spring and your head might get cold, so just send me the last two. Or at least the green VS; I'm digging that ribbon treatment. Wait, what size do you wear again? :cool:
;)

Spring is here so it’s time to rotate my hats again. Any opinion on what one I should wear this spring? I usually just choose one hat and wear it all the time rather then changing it up every other day.
Adventurebilt
cc6c5584fb5a86d873cf6e82d0940a12.jpg

Natural VS
13a2b8d5c293bf15237b70b5d4587bf6.jpg

Green VS
b82b19100e296256d10a2cb94600dbad.jpg

Or blue VS crossover?
5e286c67337eec1a4145fb5e9bd27f71.jpg

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How could one make a decision like this? Although not as versatile, that green VS is one fine choice. Wear them all Johnny, the others would feel left out and pout.

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I try to wear all my hats based mostly on what I'm going to wear, which is based a lot on what the weather is doing. It was cold and rainy so I wore a dark brown fedora with a heavy leather jacket. Today it's going to be sunny and 65F so I'm going for my new-to-me grey Homburg (which needs to be out in the fresh air), or a lighter colored felt, or even a straw....

OldStrummer

Practically Family
On a whim, I took a rough count of my hats last night. I now have thirteen or fourteen non-baseball, non-running, non-beanie hats. I have two more on order!

Just how in the world do I store them? Not enough boxes, not enough room, and I certainly don't want to stash them where I'll never pull one out and wear them.

On a whim, I took a rough count of my hats last night. I now have thirteen or fourteen non-baseball, non-running, non-beanie hats. I have two more on order!

Just how in the world do I store them? Not enough boxes, not enough room, and I certainly don't want to stash them where I'll never pull one out and wear them.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hat-storage.46013/

Hint: First tell your wife you'll need to take possession of a room in your house...

I try to wear all my hats based mostly on what I'm going to wear, which is based a lot on what the weather is doing...
For men who have had more than one "daily" hat and one "dress" hat to choose from, I would imagine this has pretty much been the criteria throughout the ages. I do pretty much the same thing--find out what the weather's going to do, decide which clothes I want or need to wear, scan my hats, then...uhh, wear whichever one I feel like wearing. :D I suppose it's a good thing that I don't have a huge selection to choose from, but I have options and all of my hats are capable of dealing with the weather rain or shine, so that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran