Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Thats a good question. I guess I want a fairly standard up-in-back, down-in-front look, but not as pronounced. iow, more relaxed than what my snap-brims provide. So, if I remove the binding, will the brim be shapable at all? I guess the only people to know this would be those who have done it, whether while changing a binding, before installing the new one.

Not an easy question to answer. I have a Royal Deluxe Stetson (most likely rabbit fur) fedora that I removed the binding from and the brim is now quite limp and a bit wavy, refusing to take any shape at all. I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do with it. It looks like Jed Clampett's hat now so maybe I'll wear it when playing the banjo!

I have others that are very stiff felt and might do better without the brim binding but I'm probably not going to find out. It is easier to convert a western hat...

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The question is, why is it better to ask here than to start a new thread? It seems you would be more likely to get an answer with a new thread. I know a lot of stuff seems repetitive but sometimes people like to just jawbone over the same thing (seems to be human trait) or to see if anyone has anything new to say. Is there some capacity or bandwidth issue or something that argues against new threads?

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
It's a judgement call. But I think the principle is ...

This thread is for questions that don't warrant their own thread.

DRB

One Too Many
How to post pictures to your message

I can't sucessfully post images. Have checked out the FAQ, but have been unable to find the "Manage Attachments" icon.
At the bottom of my page there's the Posting Permissions box, but it states "you may not post attachments", even though it says code is on.

There isn't a rule that no one with fewer than a certain number of posts can attach images is there?

cheers[/QUOTE]

Hello, the "Manage Attachments" icon does not work. The problem is not you. What you need to do is host the picture that you want to post here in your message at another website. This website does not host the pictures.

What you need to do is:
get an account at photobucket.com
upload your pictures there. They will host your pictures for free and provide you with the necessary link that you need to post pics in this website.
So, once you get your account, click on "My Home" at the top.
You will be taken to a page that says "upload images and videos".
Click that, then upload. You should see something like this now:
[IMG]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y229/mailman270/Misc/ScreenSnaperImage1.jpg

Click on the picture you want to upload to your posting here and then you will see this:

ScreenSnaperImage2.jpg

Mouse over the image and choose IMG Code from the dropdown list and highlight it. Cut and past it into your message on this forum and you are done.
Good luck.

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What is the right way to measure brim size? I always did it from the bottom of the crown to the edge of the brim, on the top part of the hat. But yesterday at a hat store I saw the manager measure it on the bottom of the brim, meaning the underside of the hat, from the stitching to the edge. Now I'm all confused.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
What is the right way to measure brim size? I always did it from the bottom of the crown to the edge of the brim, on the top part of the hat. But yesterday at a hat store I saw the manager measure it on the bottom of the brim, meaning the underside of the hat, from the stitching to the edge. Now I'm all confused.

I measure both when posting an auction, but just from the top when posting here.

Derek WC

Banned
Thank's for the information, Gtdean and Jlee. I was looking at one of their fur felt melusine toppers that has this sheen almost comparable to the silk toppers of old. You guy's just made this purchase quite a bit easier.

griffer

Practically Family
Haven't been around here in a long time. Looking for someone to reblock, stretch my very nice panama straw fedora. The heat this summer messed it up. I had it hanging on the hall tree, and it looks all wonky now.

I live in the Philly/Bucks County area, but I would ship for quality work.

Does Art do panama straws???

Thanks, guys.

Haven't been around here in a long time. Looking for someone to reblock, stretch my very nice panama straw fedora. The heat this summer messed it up. I had it hanging on the hall tree, and it looks all wonky now.

I live in the Philly/Bucks County area, but I would ship for quality work.

Does Art do panama straws???

Thanks, guys.

Check with Oscar at South Street Hats in Philly. He did a great job on my felt hats, sure he'll do the same on straws...
http://southstreethats.com/

James007

Familiar Face
Looking at Buying my first fedora, Probleam being i dont know what color to get! I am tore between Black or dark Brown? Does any one know what color would be best to go with every thing?

Cheers
James

Neophyte

Looking at Buying my first fedora, Probleam being i dont know what color to get! I am tore between Black or dark Brown? Does any one know what color would be best to go with every thing?

Cheers
James

Rather than trying to find a hat that goes with everything (which I don't believe exists; at least, I don't believe there's a color that goes with everything and still looks good), try gauging the nature of the majority of the clothing you wear: earth tones or black/blue/grey/white, dark/light, and formal/casual.
Once you tell us this kind of info, a typhoon of helpful suggestions should come storming in :)!

I'm quite biased towards Akubra headwear, myself.

Last edited:

Undertow

Gray. Stetson or Akubra are reasonably priced modern hats (although Akubra is better, IMHO).

If you're looking for vintage, go for condition/price - there's a plethora of decent brands.

*NOTE: sure, you can try other colors, but gray is most versatile.

MadDawg

Familiar Face
I had the same question a year ago. Here is what I found and what I believe everyone here would say..... Get one you like and will wear, even if it is only with some specific wardrobe piece(s). As with my experience, regardless of what color or style you get as a first hat......the second, third, forth hat is just around the corner and is most likely inevitable!

I started with a simple Graphite Stetson and now my addiction inlcudes 2 Stetsons (Grafite and Deep Gray), 1 Akubra (Brown), 1 Art Fawcett (Silverbelly), and 1 Dobbs Golden Coach (Iron Grey). Now I am started and I don't foresee the need (or desire) to stop collecting. There are so many fits, styles, colors, and shapes to choose from that you can't ever be completely satisfied with whats on the rack!

Good luck!

Neophyte

I find the right shade of green goes with just about everything (i.e. Akubra's "Bluegrass" and "Willow" greens, as well as whatever shade of green that Mallory that TheInterchange posts every once in a while is) except yellow.

Dark brown is very, very versatile as well. As for grey, I'm not so sure...it would have to be just the right shade IMHO. Light greys definitely seem to be more versatile than dark greys, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails