Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brass Rooster

Vendor
Hat Blocks and blocking equipment wanted!

My wife and I own The Brass Rooster, Mens Hats & Accessorries in Milwaukee WI. We are looking for blocking machines, brim cutters, anything we can find. Fedora hat blocks, vintage preferred, mens hat blocks of all kinds. We would appreciate any leads or help we can find. Thank you. When ever any of you make it to Milwaukee please stop in we can't wait to see you.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
My wife and I own The Brass Rooster, Mens Hats & Accessorries in Milwaukee WI. We are looking for blocking machines, brim cutters, anything we can find. Fedora hat blocks, vintage preferred, mens hat blocks of all kinds.

Be sure to put this note in the Lounge Classifieds as well.

Welcome!

Jantjeuh

Familiar Face
Unsnapping the brim?

Hey guys,

On my campdraft the brim in the front naturally snaps a great deal. Is there a way I can straighten that a little?

Thanks!

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
I've searched for this answer but just decided to ask the experts. I'm looking at a Stetson fedora on Ebay and the size on the band is "7/8" The owner assumes it is a 6 7/8 but I thought I remembered reading something on the forum that it is a 7 7/8 if it only has the fraction noted. Any help would be appreciated. It's a nice hat and would fit me if it's a 7 7/8. Did Stetson mark a lot of their hats this way?

Hey guys,

On my campdraft the brim in the front naturally snaps a great deal. Is there a way I can straighten that a little?

Thanks!

Use a steam iron with a handkerchief or thin fabric like a t-shirt between the iron & the felt. Press the brim with lots of steam. Be careful with the point of the iron near the crown & ribbon band.
The steam loosens the felt & the iron flattens it out.
The edge binding is tight which cause the snap-brim effect. Some of us love that swoop!

I've searched for this answer but just decided to ask the experts. I'm looking at a Stetson fedora on Ebay and the size on the band is "7/8" The owner assumes it is a 6 7/8 but I thought I remembered reading something on the forum that it is a 7 7/8 if it only has the fraction noted. Any help would be appreciated. It's a nice hat and would fit me if it's a 7 7/8. Did Stetson mark a lot of their hats this way?

Nope, fractions can mean either. Imagine my surprise when I won an auction for a pristine Stetson Playboy marked 5/8 that the seller swore measured over 23" in circumference. It didn't measure 23" on the outside of the crown, let alone on the inside. It was a 6 5/8. Had fun resolving that transaction with ebay, PayPal & this seller!

Anytime you see a fraction size tag its a 6 and what ever fraction in my wanderings and looking at hats over the years.

I have quite a few vintage Stetson hats with just fractions = 1/2, 5/8, 3/4. ALL of them are 7 plus the fraction = 7 1/2, 7 5/8, 7 3/4.
For that era of hats, just the fraction can mean either a 6 or a 7. There is NO generalization that they are only 6's or 7's.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
There's a vintage Resistol Milan in my size on the 'bay right now, but the brim is a little distorted and wavy. Is there a reliable way to straighten this out? Can it be re-flanged like a felt hat?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Milan is pretty easy to work yourself, but if it needs a pro, Optimo certainly does it.

edit- my response is based upon milan as wheat straw. I have no idea if it's easy to work the poly-straw. When the one I once had gave me problems, I just tossed it.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Lefty, given the age and the photos, it looks like a natural straw to me. I may bid on it just because it's so low, but I have a custom (natural straw) Milan on the way from Black Sheep Hat Works...but, you know, sometimes one gets into a hat buying mood ;)

edit: here's one of the auction pics
ebayhat.jpg

Last edited:
I had very good success flattening the brim of my milans with a steam iron. I used a piece of heavy cotton toweling between the iron and the straw. Before picture of one hat here. The last picture in this post shows this hat (and others) after ironing.

MikePotts

Practically Family
Hat Quandry....

I'd like to get a decent felt fedroa style hat - steel(ish) with black band. 2" or 2 1/8" brim in a relatively modern style, my usual mode of dress is 'classic' while not really 'vintage'.
My problem is that there are no hat shops (except Western) that have any sort of selection around here so I may be reduced to buying on-line, either new (HatsPlus?), EBay, Etsy or here if something suitable comes up in Classifieds.
May I have your input as to the relative qualities of these mid range hat brands:
Dobbs
Biltmore
Guerra Classico Soleil
Bailey

Thanks,

MP

MikePotts

Practically Family
Oh Yeah, I'd forgotten all about those guys, pretty good website pics too. I'll need to find an excuse to get up to the Metroplex sometime. Do you know anything about 'Hatbox' in Austin? I've never been there but have to go to Austin in a couple of weeks.
Thanks!

MP

dogboy27

New in Town
Attaching a new hatband

Just received a PB Fino Llano Cuenca and wanted to change the band to a blue pug that I also received from PB. The problem is that it doesn't fit snugly. It fits well to a Dobbs Milan but not the Cuenca. Is there a trick to it?
Thanx

job

One Too Many
Christy's has two main quality of hats. I think the cheaper ones felt bodys come from china. The second comes from tomak.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo