Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I'm using Firefox on both computers and I've checked, the settings appear identical. I keep Firefox updated with all relevant updates. I've never tried Chrome; I guess that's what I'll try on the one that doesn't function properly.

Thanks, BR

bluemoon

New in Town
I have two felt hats. I need a brush. Do I really need a "brim" and "crown" brush. And if not, which is the best one to get for both crown and brim brushing/cleaning?

Duper

Practically Family
Hi blue moon, I have two hat brushes. One for light coloured hats and one for dark colored hats. Besides different coloured bristles I have not heard of needing multiple brushes.

thespoiler

One of the Regulars
Both my computers are Macintosh.

Well, OK!!....you are in the brotherhood. I have an iMac 22, a Macbook 13, and an ipad.....I use Camino and Safari......I tried Firefox and it was buggy on both my computers. I have not upgraded to Lion but if you have it might be your problem. Otherwise your settings probably need checking....Bottom Line...I would say forget Firefox ...Good Luck

BR Gordon

One Too Many
Well, OK!!....you are in the brotherhood. I have an iMac 22, a Macbook 13, and an ipad.....I use Camino and Safari......I tried Firefox and it was buggy on both my computers. I have not upgraded to Lion but if you have it might be your problem. Otherwise your settings probably need checking....Bottom Line...I would say forget Firefox ...Good Luck

I switched to Safari and the computer works as it's suppost to work.

Thanks, BR

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I have two felt hats. I need a brush. Do I really need a "brim" and "crown" brush. And if not, which is the best one to get for both crown and brim brushing/cleaning?

I have a black crown brush. I use it for brims & crowns of both light and dark felts. Never had a problem.

EggHead

Practically Family
I'm using Firefox on both computers and I've checked, the settings appear identical. I keep Firefox updated with all relevant updates. I've never tried Chrome; I guess that's what I'll try on the one that doesn't function properly.

Thanks, BR

I also use macbook pro and safari that came with it - 4th computer. Never had such problems you describe. Have you tried Safari?
Also, try to google your problem, describe it well but generically without mentioning this site, perhaps something will come up as a good answer.

oops, I just read your last post, looks like my advice came too late.

DexCarther

New in Town
Borsalino ~ Maurice L. Rothschild ~ 7 1/4 ~ With Original Price Tag ?? WITH PICS

Borsalino ~ Maurice L. Rothschild ~ 7 1/4 ~ With Original Price Tag ???? WITH PICS

Hello,
I have a Borsalino I am looking for information on, value in particular. This seems to be the place to do so! I can tell it is a Borsalino imported by Maurice L. Rothschild & Co. of Chicago. It has the MLC price tag in it with an original price of $20.00. Anyone know more about this hat? Its age? Its value? It is in excelent condition!

The tag inside states as pictured below:

1402P 73019 C 7 1/4
Cerere c/ Ossido "Gatergu ue" ( hand written )

MLR price sticker with $20 on it.

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/what8475/IMG_4609.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/what8475/IMG_4611.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/what8475/IMG_4613.jpg
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j343/what8475/IMG_4614.jpg

Thanks, Dex Carther

Last edited:

dboeren

New in Town
I'm trying to get a better understanding of what hat size I should wear (I believe I'm either a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4). I started by searching online for "hat sizing chart" and found conflicting information. Then there also seem to be inaccuracies in converting from metric hat sizes (ie - 57) to English hat sizes (7 1/4).
For instance, this site says that 22.5" is a 7 1/8" or 57: http://www.millerhats.com/hatsize.html
But this one says that 22.5" is a 7 1/4" or 58: http://www.villagehatshop.com/head_size.html

My goal here is to be able to buy a hat on eBay or these forums and have it fit reliably. So, do you need to keep track of two different sizes then? Are you better going with whichever one is "closer" to your measured hat size? At what point do you round up or down?

In my case, a tape measuring of my head returns about 22.5" which is also very close to 57cm.

As a related question, how far can you be off before the hat doesn't fit? How far can you safely stretch a hat if it's slightly too small?

There are some beautiful hats for sale here all the time, but I wish to avoid purchasing one and then finding out it doesn't fit and now I have the burden of trying to sell it again immediately.

Thanks!

job

One Too Many
Try a hat store if possible to see what you like and what fits. If that is not easy to do then order the next size up. It may shrink to fit better or you could pad it. If it's tight you could buy a hat stretcher to open it up some. I have done that but I would prefer it to be slightly big.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm trying to get a better understanding of what hat size I should wear (I believe I'm either a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4). I started by searching online for "hat sizing chart" and found conflicting information. Then there also seem to be inaccuracies in converting from metric hat sizes (ie - 57) to English hat sizes (7 1/4).
For instance, this site says that 22.5" is a 7 1/8" or 57: http://www.millerhats.com/hatsize.html
But this one says that 22.5" is a 7 1/4" or 58: http://www.villagehatshop.com/head_size.html

My goal here is to be able to buy a hat on eBay or these forums and have it fit reliably. So, do you need to keep track of two different sizes then? Are you better going with whichever one is "closer" to your measured hat size? At what point do you round up or down?

In my case, a tape measuring of my head returns about 22.5" which is also very close to 57cm.

As a related question, how far can you be off before the hat doesn't fit? How far can you safely stretch a hat if it's slightly too small?

There are some beautiful hats for sale here all the time, but I wish to avoid purchasing one and then finding out it doesn't fit and now I have the burden of trying to sell it again immediately.

Thanks!

There are so many variables that it's kind of impossible to give you a definitive answer.

I would second Job's suggestion to head to a hat store and try on a bunch of hats.

Sizing charts can and do differ between websites, manufacturers, etc. It's usually a safer bet to round down than round up, although a hat can be stretched. I simply fit it an easier solution to pad the sweatband than go about the stretching process. In terms of how far off, that would also depend on whether you have a long oval or round oval head as opposed to a "normal" oval head. And also, some hats may simply have shrunk over time. Stretching up a size is not usually a problem (bearing in mind that you may, for instance, have to replace the sweatband on a vintage hat if it is in poor condition to begin with). It's also usually possible to reblock a smaller hat into a larger size though you may loose some brim width.

dboeren

New in Town
I'll see if I can locate and get to a local hat shop. There aren't many left, but I think there should be something. There's actually a Horsetown nearby my house which I'm pretty sure sells western style hats and they may do so in proper sizes rather than just S/M/L. If so, that's pretty easy to swing by.

Yeah, I know from experience that things like jeans vary significantly from one brand to another in the same size. I'd been hoping that hats didn't vary as much. So with vintage hats where you can't compare a local size in the same brand (it may have shrunk or their sizing may have changed in the last few decades) then I suppose you're just making your best guess and erring towards a slightly larger hat in most cases correct?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'll see if I can locate and get to a local hat shop. There aren't many left, but I think there should be something. There's actually a Horsetown nearby my house which I'm pretty sure sells western style hats and they may do so in proper sizes rather than just S/M/L. If so, that's pretty easy to swing by.

Yeah, I know from experience that things like jeans vary significantly from one brand to another in the same size. I'd been hoping that hats didn't vary as much. So with vintage hats where you can't compare a local size in the same brand (it may have shrunk or their sizing may have changed in the last few decades) then I suppose you're just making your best guess and erring towards a slightly larger hat in most cases correct?

That's basically what I do. Although I don't have near the collection of hats that some posters do, I've not gotten a hat yet that was tagged my size that did not fit. To be sure, there are variations in how my hats fit (some slightly tighter, some slightly looser), but I have yet to stumble upon one which simply could not be worn due to shrinkage or a difference between manufacturers.

dboeren

New in Town
OK, just got back from the Western store. They do sell sized hats, and by trial and error the 7 1/4 regular oval seemed to be the best fit (in a Stetson. I can't really say what an accurate inch measurement would be, the girl didn't seem too sure.

So, I'll go with that, and a 58 if I have to look at metric sizes since that's what the hat was marked in metric. And if it's slightly too big I can always pad the sweatband as you suggested - seems cheaper and easier than buying a stretcher.

fmw

One Too Many
I'm thinking you must have had an issue with the measurement. My head measures 22 5/8". I always buy 7 1/8. Some hats are slightly tight and some are slightly loose. In general Stetsons fit me pretty well. I swim in a 7 1/4. It's good you found your size in the store. Good luck.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Would you classify this more as a hat, or a house pet?
DSCF1245.jpg

scooter

Practically Family
Ok, serious question. I just completed my first sale via paypal and have money in my account. How do was one access that money, other than to use it to make a payment via paypal? In other words, can one withdraw that money and put it in your pocket?

Forgive my ignorance!!

frussell

One Too Many
Scooter, you should be able to withdraw the money under the "Withdraw" tab at the top. You select "transfer funds," choose the amount, and the account you want it to go to ( I have more than one listed, most folks just have one), and it usually takes a few business days. Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner