Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

job

One Too Many
My first felt hat was a Akubra. I ordered a size too small. It shrank even more. I bought a hat jack and stretched it till I was happy. Then I would leave the stretcher in it after wearing it. Now it does not shrink anymore. I also stretched a western style hat 2 sizes. It really wanted to shrink back 2 sizes. Go slow. It could take a few days. You can steam the hat prior to inserting the stretcher. Leave the stretcher in for the day. The next day check the hat and go from there.

Hey guys. I know the subject of hat stretching has been beat to death but I got a situation. I have this Akubra cattleman that I ordered about 6 months ago in a size 58. I measure maybe a little more than 58 unless I pull the tape a little snug which is why I got the 58. To make a long story short, the hat fit pretty good out of the box but over time its gotten a little too snug for my taste...I know these things shrink. Got a hat jack and tried stretching but that only seems to bring it back to its original size. I don't want to risk popping stitches on this thing so my question is this. Should I just sell this one and get the 59 or continue stretching the 58. Thanks.
I've got 2 Akubras size 60 that are stretched to 61. Stretch away....

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Can someone tell me something about my hat?

Hi,

a few days ago, i bought this trilby- hat on a car boot sale. I spent at least 7€ for it, thats not much.

Now i don't know how old it is, or what kind of company sold it (Sorry for my english, it's not my primary language :) ).

Here are the pics, hope you can see something on them.

http://imageshack.us/g/808/img0004ba.jpg/

Kind regards,
Ere

Last edited:

Erehwon

One of the Regulars
Thank you! :)

Edit: my post seems to be moved. I guess it wasn't good to post a new thread with my question?

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A historical question. I'm reading William Hjortsberg's Nevermore, a thriller set in 1923 featuring Harry Houdini and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as detectives.

He seems to have a lot of the historical details right. However, in an early scene he describes reporter Damon Runyon as wearing an "Open Road" style Stetson hat. Now I've read here, I think, that the model "Open Road" began in the 1930s as a fedora and later morphed into the dress-Western we all know. But did the model name go back even further? Or is this an anachronism by the author?

Thank you! :)

Edit: my post seems to be moved. I guess it wasn't good to post a new thread with my question?

This sticky is the place for questions so there are not a lot of threads with very few posts = bartenders will coagulate the question/answer posts here.
Also helps to have one place right on the top to see if somebody needs a question answered & not buried among other topics....

Pipeman

New in Town
Hat shops in Chicago?
Hello everybody! I've been hanging around for awhile and have thoroughly enjoyed the conversation. I feel like a little kid listening in while my Dad and his buddies visit. Well, I like to raise my hand and ask a question now. I'm going to be in the Chicago area early next week and I was wondering what the best hat shop in the area is? If I could gain a little local-knowledge I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Dean

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Hat shops in Chicago?Hello everybody! I've been hanging around for awhile and have thoroughly enjoyed the conversation. I feel like a little kid listening in while my Dad and his buddies visit. Well, I like to raise my hand and ask a question now. I'm going to be in the Chicago area early next week and I was wondering what the best hat shop in the area is? If I could gain a little local-knowledge I would greatly appreciate it!

Welcome aboard!

You should check out Optimo.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Welcome aboard!

You should check out Optimo.

+1. That's the first thing I'd do if I were in that area!

Hey guys-- I've been searching for about twenty minutes for the Lee hats thread, due to my recent transfixing on them. I'm sorry if I'm just blind, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I thought it was called "The Lee Lounge." Can anyone post a link or bump the thread? Thanks.

buler

I'll Lock Up
+1. That's the first thing I'd do if I were in that area!

Hey guys-- I've been searching for about twenty minutes for the Lee hats thread, due to my recent transfixing on them. I'm sorry if I'm just blind, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. I thought it was called "The Lee Lounge." Can anyone post a link or bump the thread? Thanks.

Here you go: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?18237-The-Lee-Lounge

Add it to your subscriptions. You are using subscriptions, right?

B

FMG1991

New in Town
short question:
I know, that I have to brush counterclockwise. But what am I supposed to do on the top of the crown?
Thank you :)

F

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
as long as you're still holding it from the same angle, right? When I flip my hats over, the nap also seems to run counterclockwise (technically the opposite direction of the nap on top.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
as long as you're still holding it from the same angle, right? When I flip my hats over, the nap also seems to run counterclockwise (technically the opposite direction of the nap on top.

Hmm, well, this is where I learned how to do it, from Mr. John Penman:
[video=youtube;SctZLVCYYGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SctZLVCYYGA[/video]

scooter

Practically Family
Hat shops in Chicago?
Hello everybody! I've been hanging around for awhile and have thoroughly enjoyed the conversation. I feel like a little kid listening in while my Dad and his buddies visit. Well, I like to raise my hand and ask a question now. I'm going to be in the Chicago area early next week and I was wondering what the best hat shop in the area is? If I could gain a little local-knowledge I would greatly appreciate it!
Thanks,
Dean

I believe Falcon park Hattery is in the Cicago area as well. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails