Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
thanks for in info. Guess I will ship this off to be cleaned and blocked. I seem to be able to run into a hat around here every once in a while, I just can't figure out how they get so dirty.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I seem to be able to run into a hat around here every once in a while, I just can't figure out how they get so dirty.

Interesting, the opposite is a mystery to me, everytime I buy a clean vintage hat. I'm from 1955 myself, and although I haven't lived my life in the gutter, my family and friends are probably happy, that I always have cleaned myself several times daily. Most 50+ years old hidden-away stuff we find need a thorough cleaning before reuse ... hats too :)

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
That must speak of a cultural difference , I guess the American society is basically a throw away society. When we are threw with it its "out the door", or in the case of two of the finest hats I have found, "down on the chicken coop floor". This hat is nasty. I found a Resistol Beaver 100 that I had to scrub with a toothbrush to find what color it really was. Makes you want to cry. ( but then again maybe that attitude in others is why I fine them so reasonable. $9 for the Resistol and I paid $12 dollars for this ones box--then they doubled that when they realized that there was a hat inside.

John Galt

Vendor
So wet back of sweat band and leave it in the car for about an hour. Then wear it and see? I'll try that.

Wear until dry or nearly so to conform the best to your head. Also, wet all the felt evenly, or you will get a water stain on the part that was wet. A spray bottle works best. I put a dish towel in the hat to prevent water staining the liner.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
thanks for in info. Guess I will ship this off to be cleaned and blocked. I seem to be able to run into a hat around here every once in a while, I just can't figure out how they get so dirty.

I bought an old Champ Spaceweight for $.99 once, that I am sure had been a hobo's hat. It ran either grease or boot black for a good hour of washing & rinsing in the sink. Still came out beautiful though, because the felt was intact.

John Galt

Vendor
I want to restore old hats. What tools/supplies do I need? Thanks

(I tried a PM but was declined due to your new kid on the block status, so hope the gents here will forgive me).

You will find that hat tools are hard to find & surprisingly expensive, making it a bit difficult to just dive into.

Have a look around and then PM me if you want a puller downer & pusher downer at a very reasonable price. You can see pics of some I just made for a fellow lounger in the photos of hatter's tools thread. Also a lot of other pics you will find interesting in light of your new interest in renovating. Also, look into buying the Ermatinger hat renovating book (look it up). It is a must-have, and you can find electronic copies with slight effort.

Walt

One of the Regulars
So wet back of sweat band and leave it in the car for about an hour. Then wear it and see? I'll try that.

You might also want to consider using a hat jack or stretcher adjusted to your head size (use a hat that fits to adjust it) and use that in the hat your are trying to shrink down. May help with tracking and adjusting the fit.

xbeatles4x

One of the Regulars
Wait is there something I can do without wetting all of the felt on the hat? I thought you were just saying wet the sweat band and wear it.

Dennis Holt

New in Town
Just got my first campdraft and am wondering something. I measure around 57.6 and ordered the 58 like advised. The hat does fit slightly loose but not uncomfortably so. I know akubras will shrink a little with wear but I'm concerned it might shrink too much. Is this fear rational or am I just being overly concerned? Thanks

Just got my first campdraft and am wondering something. I measure around 57.6 and ordered the 58 like advised. The hat does fit slightly loose but not uncomfortably so. I know akubras will shrink a little with wear but I'm concerned it might shrink too much. Is this fear rational or am I just being overly concerned? Thanks
I had similar concerns when I received my first Campdraft in August. My only previous experience was with my Akubra Fed IV five years ago which, when I received it, was quite a bit looser than the Campdraft, and shrunk at least half a size. I'm pleased to say my Campdraft didn't shrink nearly as much as the Fed IV--it shrunk a little, just enough for a nice snug fit, and stayed that way. I'd say wear your hat and enjoy it!

That said, if you're really concerned about it you should have a good leather dressing like Pecard on-hand. Leather sweatbands shrink because water and perspiration cause the leather to get dehydrated; the application of a good leather conditioner should stop this. Flip the sweatband out, apply the conditioner to the inner surface (i.e., the surface facing the liner or felt on the inside of the hat's crown), let the leather absorb it, then put the sweatband back in it's proper position; this is mentioned in this Akubra video at the 8:45 mark.

John Galt

Vendor
Wait is there something I can do without wetting all of the felt on the hat? I thought you were just saying wet the sweat band and wear it.

The issue from my perspective is that it is hard to just wet the sweatband without getting some of the felt wet, and that the felt will usually water mark where whetted. Also, the hat will conform better if the felt is also more flexible.

Incidentally, you should not worry about getting fur felt wet. It will not damage it a bit. I like to wear my hats in the rain - it is good for them and helps the hats conform.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Fit advice please - Akubra Campdraft Deluxe

I ordered my usual size, a 63, but this hat is quite large. A complete circle of window foam makes it fit about right, although it still may be a shade large. It does make the sweatband all wavy, of course.

Many say the Akubra regular felt will shrink and that wear and dampness will shrink them down almost a whole size. Will the Heritage felt do that?

Should I just exchange it? I want it to fit right, but $50 more in shipping is not appealing.

Heritage won't draw like an Imperial, at least my 2 haven't.
I ordered my usual size for both Heritage & Imperial & haven't had an issue with the Heritage being that much too large after I creased it.
If it is quite large now, I think it will stay large for you. The sweatband is different as well as the felt being denser = less opportunity to draw in.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
Heritage won't draw like an Imperial, at least my 2 haven't.
I ordered my usual size for both Heritage & Imperial & haven't had an issue with the Heritage being that much too large after I creased it.
If it is quite large now, I think it will stay large for you. The sweatband is different as well as the felt being denser = less opportunity to draw in.

Thanks. Will creasing it make it fit tighter? I didn't know that.

Jaxworx

Familiar Face
Quality of Statesman hats from Oz?

Gents:

There's a pale-colored, C-crown, rabbit fur hat offered locally on Craigslist. It's branded "Statesman." Kind of a broad-brimmed fedora with grommeted vent holes.

A little poking around led me to a site selling Western-styled hats that claims Statesman is the brand formerly known as Drizabone. I once owned a Drizabone duster that I found in Idaho, but had no idea they made hats.

Seller wants $40, and it's practically walking distance from my house. Anyone have an idea on quality? I don't mind buying a cheap hat... as long as it doesn't FEEL or LOOK like a cheap hat.

Ad link here: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/clo/4113620657.html

Thanks for help/advice. I appreciate the well of wisdom around here.

Cheers,

Jack

Hard to tell the quality without handling the hat, Jack. Can't say I know the brand, but the other Australian hats I have handled (Akubra, mostly) were generally sturdy but not well pounced. In other words, their "hand" was kinda rough. But heck, that hat looks like something you wouldn't baby much, and wouldn't wear with a suit or even a sport coat and tie anyway, so that it may not be the most nicely finished hat may be of little concern.

Forty bucks ain't too much, if it fits and you'll wear it.

Gents:

There's a pale-colored, C-crown, rabbit fur hat offered locally on Craigslist. It's branded "Statesman." Kind of a broad-brimmed fedora with grommeted vent holes.

A little poking around led me to a site selling Western-styled hats that claims Statesman is the brand formerly known as Drizabone. I once owned a Drizabone duster that I found in Idaho, but had no idea they made hats.

Seller wants $40, and it's practically walking distance from my house. Anyone have an idea on quality? I don't mind buying a cheap hat... as long as it doesn't FEEL or LOOK like a cheap hat.

Ad link here: http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/clo/4113620657.html

Thanks for help/advice. I appreciate the well of wisdom around here.

Cheers,

Jack
I owned a Statesman a while back that was basically a Snowy River copy. This ones seems to be a Cattleman copy.
I trimmed the brim down & tried to raise the crease some but it was just too low crowned to start with.
It was a plain chocolate brown color, seemed like decent bunny fur felt. I ended up sending to Art for his Cash for Clunkers.
Mine didn't have the vent holes, bound edge or that nice of a hat band.
I'd say if you like that look, that it is worth $40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran