Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

job

One Too Many
I am having a hard time using my Surface rt tablet with this forum. It's the only place that I've found that I have problems with.
The tablet runs on windows 8.1. When I try to type everything gets jerky. I can only type a letter every 2-3 seconds. Trying to type on screen is impossible and with the attachable keyboard I can type but very, very slowly.

Purplesage

One Too Many
Cleaning Sticky Subtance from Velour

What's the best method to clean a sticky substance from a velour sweatband? I tried a method I read about on the internet using a mixture of dish soap and warm water where you shake it up and just dab on the soap foam to the stain and wait a few seconds for the foam to lift the stain or substance from the fabric and dab off with a damp sponge. All this did was to spread the sticky substance more into the velour. It's restricted to one panel of a sharks gill ribbon. Any suggestions.

If you are referring to the adhesive left from a double-side tape used to affix the ribbon in place, I have successfully used acetone to remove that residue from a ribbon. I applied the acetone to a small rag (or Q-tip, maybe) and rubbed and dabbed away. But BE CAREFUL to test first, so as not to cause collateral damage to the body of the hat.

Best of luck, Purp.

FrankMc

Familiar Face
I am still breaking in my hat, a Stetson cowboy hat, and I have a long oval head shape. When it gets too tight on the front and back, I steam and stretch it and it becomes a great fit, but I am wondering when the spaces on the side will not be so loose and open and form more to my head and I don't have to steam and stretch it as often as I do now?

John Galt

Vendor
I am still breaking in my hat, a Stetson cowboy hat, and I have a long oval head shape. When it gets too tight on the front and back, I steam and stretch it and it becomes a great fit, but I am wondering when the spaces on the side will not be so loose and open and form more to my head and I don't have to steam and stretch it as often as I do now?

It doesn't sound as if the hat is truly conforming to your head shape in your steaming process. Probably it is not getting soft enough.

My method of conforming a hat is to spray the hat thoroughly with water from a spray bottle, but not directly on the leather sweatband or liner. (Remove the liner or cover with a dish towel - first is better because you may get spotting otherwise).

This will ultimately get the sweat band uniformly damp from the outside in as the water pervades the felt.

At that point, the sweatband & hat body should be soft and truly "conform" to your head shape unless the hat is just too big.

Wear it until it _completely_ dries, shaping the brim and crown as necessary. A little heat (steam) while still slightly damp will help the felt tighten & "remember" the new shape.

It should hopefully now fit with no gaps. If there are gaps still, your hat will most likely need to be re-blocked or replaced, because it is just too big.

Purplesage

One Too Many
hatsRme it wasn't tape adhesive but a glob of something sticky about 1/4 in diameter. It's an old Adam hat with a velour sharks gill ribbon. The ribbon is really in good shape so I hope I didn't do more damage by trying to remove it myself rather then have it cleaned.

viclip

Practically Family
What's the scoop on the Canadian-made Smithbilt hats?
I'd like to round off my Open Road collection with a brown OR-type hat & since I've got Stetsons & Akubras already I thought I'd opt for the offering of another manufacturer. Here's the link to Smithbilt's version which they call the "Cattle Buyer":

http://www.smithbilthats.com/products/cattle-buyer

They offer it in various grades of fur felt including 100x Beaver @ CAD $950 (approx. USD $850) [latest addition to to my birthday wish list]. I particularly like the 3" brim, which meets the anti-skin cancer sun protection recommendation. I propose to wear the hat in any & all weather conditions i.e. I'm not looking for a "dress hat".

Can anyone share their experience with Smithbilt hats, esp. their Western/OR varieties?

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
u8udy4yz.jpg

Start off with a dent style you like. I usually use a center dent (use two hands when applying. I am using one since i am holding my camera)

7y7ube7a.jpg

yte5usez.jpg

next, choose the pinch style you wish, as there are many. For this, I am using a front-pinch.

2ajuhy8a.jpg

End result

e6ebezym.jpg

Please note that hats respond to pinches differently, and some experimenting may be required to find the right look

Last edited:
Well done and effortless!... but it does help to start with 1920s Stetson Premier Quality felt. ;) Other hats might require a little steam persuasion.

Seth Duzan

Familiar Face
A simple question...

With possibly a not so simple answer... My lid is showing some lopsidedness and the crown needs a bit of work. Now, I don't have a steamer, and I'm not too sure about using the iron(don't trust myself that much). The weather here has been a bit up and down. Now I have read that when a felt gets wet it retains the shape it dries in. Would it really be ok to just wait for a decent rain and then when I hang it to dry do the little 'maintenance' shaping, or should I just go ahead and wait until I can save the money to have someone do it professionally? I'd rather the cheapest option if I can due to financial status at the moment, but I have no issue with waiting if need be...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff