Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Well, Alex, I'm not from around there, but Hollywood Hatters on Melrose, or Baron Hats, actually in beautiful downtown Burbank are relatively local, aren't they? If they are still in business, would those stores fill the bill as a place to go see, feel, and try on hats? I've never been to either store, but the online presence seems to make me think they have a nice selection to peruse.

Moreover, other custom hatters in the L.A area don't seem quite as classically mainstream in their offerings, but they must also be acknowledged, IMO.
I visited Hollywood Hatters once about seven or eight years ago when I was in search of a flat cap (my friend got one instead lol). At that time I recall seeing quite a few "trendy" Trilbys on their shelves, but nothing that really caught my attention. I may have to pay them another visit to see if things have changed. I've never been to Baron Hats, but I have been giving serious consideration to possibly having them replace the ribbon on my Taupe Fawn Campdraft with something wider and with more color contrast so I might pay them a visit in the not-too-distant future. Both shops are a bit of a drive, but not too unreasonably located. I sincerely appreciate your suggestions!

Also, I was being somewhat facetious in my previous post and intended no disrespect towards any of the hat shops in southern California. It's just that the few hat shops I've stumbled across here (like Hollywood Hatters) seem to stock the aforementioned Trilbys and/or cheesy "tourist" hats, but not much in the way of hats with the wider brims that I'm looking for. I suppose I just haven't found the "right" shop yet.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
What's the diferences between a city hat and a country hat? Is there a maximum brim length for a city hat? I'm guessing 2.5 inches.

I think the ribbon plays a role, as well. I consider thin ribbons to be more country, wider ribbons more city.

"No brown in town?" Never heard that! I wear too many earth tones to follow that one.

I think the ribbon plays a role, as well. I consider thin ribbons to be more country, wider ribbons more city...
That seems to be the general consensus here on The Lounge--wider ribbons are more dressy/city, narrower ribbons are more casual/country. Brim width doesn't appear to enter into that conversation much.

..."No brown in town?" Never heard that! I wear too many earth tones to follow that one.
"What can brown do for you?" :D

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
And maybe "no brown in town"

That explains why Indy wears a suit and a grey fedora in the city. I think Brown is not allowed in the city because brown hides dirt really well. You have to show that you're above the dirty work. This also explains why dress shirts are white. Shirts that aren't white or light blue are not considered proper garments.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
wear whatever , whenever & wherever with whatever else you have on ... who cares!!

it's not 1950 ... I wear wide ribbon hats with T shirts and jeans and I wear thin ribbon brown hats with a suit

anyone standing by these "rules" you are speaking of is not someone you should listen to in the first place

look in the mirror.... do you dig it ?... cool, wear it

it is 2015 ... there is no city and country hat

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
wear whatever , whenever & wherever with whatever else you have on ... who cares!!

it's not 1950 ... I wear wide ribbon hats with T shirts and jeans and I wear thin ribbon brown hats with a suit

anyone standing by these "rules" you are speaking of is not someone you should listen to in the first place

+1. Lol.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer

+1

I know lol. I just want to be historically accurate just in case =P. I really like the design of the FED IV in moonstone. I also live in the city so that means I win.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
I've been watching Perry Mason episodes from the 50s lately, and characters are just as likely to wear thin ribbons as wide ribbons. The shows I've been watching were set and filmed in L.A. in 57-59, so the division between country and city hat was already fading. At the same time, a few months back, an older gentleman commented on my "casual" fedora, a mid-50s blue Stratoliner, so the perception. Still lingers. Isn't it odd?

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
+1

I know lol. I just want to be historically accurate just in case =P. I really like the design of the FED IV in moonstone. I also live in the city so that means I win.

I have the Deluxe Fed in Moonstone. Its a very "accurate" Fedora. The maker claims they are blocked on vintage blocks from the 1930's. High open crowns. Hardly any taper. Dimensional brim. Crease it exactly how u want just like the gents did in the old days. Plenty authentic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot