Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I’ve had good luck buying used flanges. With some patience you can usually find one at a small fraction of the cost of a new one. Used blocks are more expensive. With both, it’s not just size but profile. You probably don’t want all your hats to look the same and have the same blocking.

I only have one 3-D printed block and I vastly prefer wood; although the 3-D block is working well for now. The wood just seems more durable and less dependent on careful usage (@T Jones has my 3-D printed block so maybe he can add his thoughts).

I hav a rounded dome aluminum “block.” It’s heated, but I removed the heating element and the cord. It works great when I need an anvil inside the crown the work out old creases and wrinkles in the felt. I work small sections at a time and the hats never take on the shape of the block. The block is 21” in circumference and very tapered. I would never want a crown to have that shape, but it works great for what I use it for and it works equally well on a wide range of sizes.

Having a block that is one or two sizes smaller that the hat size is nice for not only working out old creases. The block can be used to stretch out the felt and change its shape/blocking. It’s not as good as a full strip down and re-block with the correct size block, but you can do a lot. My tapered aluminum block gets used all the time whereas my fitted crown blocks are used infrequently. I use my flanges quite a bit.

Good luck!
Well, the 3D printed block did what it was supposed to do. I blocked a heavyweight Western on it for @deadlyhandsome and it did a good job. I have a custom made 3D printed block, myself, that Randall Alan made for me. I've had it for about 5 years and it's still going strong.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
As an amateur, that is my approach. I'm 57cm and I have a 6-inch 56cm block and a smaller 4-inch 54cm block (both 52 block style). I use the smaller block to more easily twist and turn hats to work out old creases and dents.

I am considering getting a block for reshaping and getting out old creases. I don't intend to fully tear down the hats to do this though. Since I am a 7 1/2 would you recommend a 7 3/8 or smaller block for this purpose? Or another tool? I also am considering a a flange or two, are the 3d printed ones ok for occasional rookie use? Thanks guys!

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Help me @mayserwegener Steve, or anyone. Has anyone seen this brand or label? The hat is listed as a 56, so the 20 marking is confusing me. The hat/seller is in Berlin.

il_794xN.4520689201_qbzk.jpg icm_fullxfull.596909554_ewcq5sgx6j48gw0sosg8.jpg il_794xN.4528258135_7n9f.jpg

Help me @mayserwegener Steve, or anyone. Has anyone seen this brand or label? The hat is listed as a 56, so the 20 marking is confusing me. The hat/seller is in Berlin.

View attachment 561409 View attachment 561410 View attachment 561411
Randy, I can't say who made it because there is no company mark but it's German. I will check and see if I can find the trademark but it's very generic. The 20 could be German Zoll. 1 Zoll = 1.04 Inches so 20 Zoll = 20.8 Inches but that would be a very small size. Looks like it's made of Wool. It appears to be in NOS condition. You might want to ask for a center inside front to back measurement. Ask them to send a photo of the measurement. You can send them this photo on how to measure.

53338482940_f0894d1dbb_b.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, Stefan, that makes more sense. The inside dimensions are
Inside length: 19.5cm / 7.7"
Width inside: 16cm / 6.3"

Seller says he wears a 56 and this one is tight, so it may be a 55.

Thanks for the feedback. If this was my size, I might pursue it but, at this point, I guess I'll pass it up.

Randy, I can't say who made it because there is no company mark but it's German. I will check and see if I can find the trademark but it's very generic. The 20 could be German Zoll. 1 Zoll = 1.04 Inches so 20 Zoll = 20.8 Inches but that would be a very small size. Looks like it's made of Wool. It appears to be in NOS condition. You might want to ask for a center inside front to back measurement. Ask them to send a photo of the measurement. You can send them this photo on how to measure.

53338482940_f0894d1dbb_b.jpg

Thank you, Stefan, that makes more sense. The inside dimensions are
Inside length: 19.5cm / 7.7"
Width inside: 16cm / 6.3"

Seller says he wears a 56 and this one is tight, so it may be a 55.

Thanks for the feedback. If this was my size, I might pursue it but, at this point, I guess I'll pass it up.
Randy, I looked for that trademark but I couldn't find anything.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Have you checked the hat shop in Pike Place? She does repairs and she is much closer than Frankfurt .
Oh, thanks for the reply. But...I'm in Turkiye these days, and was thinking of going to Frankfurt during the Holidays for a few days. German eggnog and Schtoller...So, Frankfurt is much closer now days than Seattle, };^))

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
This little house I’m renting does not have central heating and I am reliant on a gas radiator and portable space heaters.

My concern is that these heat sources will dry out the sweatbands on my hats.

How realistic is that concern and should I move my hats to a separate room away from these appliances? (That would be an inconvenience, but losing sweatbands more so).

Last edited:

MikeinRome

Practically Family
There still isn’t a law that I’m aware of the requires them to disclose fur content or type. The Wool Products Labing act of 1939 defined wool and required labeling. Often that labeling didn’t survive and probably wasn’t intended to.

https://www.ftc.gov/legal-library/browse/rules/wool-products-labeling-act-text
Thanks, Brent. I figured it was some regulation that came along in the 70's or later, since I don't see vintage hats with them, for the most part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy