Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
Does anyone have a source for the 3/8” ribbon commonly found on Stetson ORs and Stratoliners?

IMG_9270.jpeg

Granville

One of the Regulars
Here's one for you re-sellers: I just received a hat I was looking forward too (and it is really nice - unique color and finish, call it a short-hair) but the seller was waaay off on the size. I notice the larger hats are the most sought after (I'm a large but not too large/59/7 3/8), but I see on ebay etc. the smaller hats don't seem to command as much attention. No doubt it is in large part that folks are bigger today and, perhaps more importantly, there are many more small hats out there because that was what was produced back in the day in the largest numbers. Since the seller has a no return policy, and I'd have to pay shipping and lose money anyway, (here's the question:) how hard is it to sell a small hat? Even a real nice one, but only 6 5/8. I'm bumming.

Here's one for you re-sellers: I just received a hat I was looking forward too (and it is really nice - unique color and finish, call it a short-hair) but the seller was waaay off on the size. I notice the larger hats are the most sought after (I'm a large but not too large/59/7 3/8), but I see on ebay etc. the smaller hats don't seem to command as much attention. No doubt it is in large part that folks are bigger today and, perhaps more importantly, there are many more small hats out there because that was what was produced back in the day in the largest numbers. Since the seller has a no return policy, and I'd have to pay shipping and lose money anyway, (here's the question:) how hard is it to sell a small hat? Even a real nice one, but only 6 5/8. I'm bumming.
They can sell but at a greatly reduced price. 6 5/8" is very small size and the % that would wear something that small is a very very small . I think in 4 years I have sold exactly 1 that small and it was to a lady.

Did you buy it on eBay? Even if the seller doesn’t accept returns they have to accept it and give a full refund if they described it inaccurately. I do this 4-5 times a year. If you got it somewhere other than eBay you might have different recourses. Unless it’s something special, I’d suggest returning it rather than selling it on your own.

Granville

One of the Regulars
They can sell but at a greatly reduced price. 6 5/8" is very small size and the % that would wear something that small is a very very small . I think in 4 years I have sold exactly 1 that small and it was to a lady.
Did you buy it on eBay?
Etsy. And to make matters worse, it's a trilby, which I know is my personal fetish and not particularly exciting to hat collectors.

Granville

One of the Regulars
Etsy is harder, but I’d still try to make them accept the return.
I just read Etsy's policies. I'm going to go through their "help" protocol and try for the full refund, including tax and shipping. Everything about the hat is wrong: size, color, and description. I should give a pass on the description because I knew it wasn't a pork pie (it's clearly a center dent in the photos), but I'll "pile on" to make the strongest case.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm considering my next custom. I want to make a black BRE clone, but I haven't had to pleasure of handling an original. I'm thinking I want dress weight as I tend to prefer the lighter felts, but I was wondering were the originals a lighter or heavier felt?

I'm gonna buy calipers one day, I swear. In terms of just the thickness of the felt, those older hats are much closer to a modern dress weight than to a modern western weight.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Can anybody explain how the Mallory wind cord/trolley works? It's the only big brand I own that sews the wind cord button to the bow. On my first Mallory, I actually cut the button away from the bow in order to use the wind cord but that seemed like a mistake. Subsequent Mallorys have been without wind cord, but now I finally have one with it again - and once again the button is sewn to the bow. But also both sides of the cord are fixed permanently to the button, making me wonder if the wind cord is purely cosmetic? Thanks for any help!

W

hat is an average thickness of a dress weight and a western weight felt, in a completed hat? I have (had) calipers but damned if I can find them.
Don’t know, haven’t measured one. Seems to me when measuring a finished hat variables such as stretching & pouncing would come into play? My calipers are steel for measuring hard surfaces, not electronic. A softer surface like felt would be trickier to measure & be accurate & consistent. My micrometer belonged to a tool & die maker.

Don’t know, haven’t measured one. Seems to me when measuring a finished hat variables such as stretching & pouncing would come into play? My calipers are steel for measuring hard surfaces, not electronic. A softer surface like felt would be trickier to measure & be accurate & consistent. My micrometer belonged to a tool & die maker.
Using an inexact tailor's ruler it looks to be 2mm on dress weight and 3mm on a mid weight western. ....give or take a hair. If I ever find my caliper I can find out for certain!

Can anybody explain how the Mallory wind cord/trolley works? It's the only big brand I own that sews the wind cord button to the bow. On my first Mallory, I actually cut the button away from the bow in order to use the wind cord but that seemed like a mistake. Subsequent Mallorys have been without wind cord, but now I finally have one with it again - and once again the button is sewn to the bow. But also both sides of the cord are fixed permanently to the button, making me wonder if the wind cord is purely cosmetic? Thanks for any help!

For a fixed button trolley, you should be able to unloop the cord from the button and affix that to a button on your jacket, as opposed to affixing the button to a spare button hole.

I have Mallorys that are both configurations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda