Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

At a store near you!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
This thread is to showcase finds that are available today which represent that style that we like so much. I'm not looking for super high priced goods from makers that have been doing the same thing for years, I'm looking for companies that sell today the items that we love... it may be on a limited basis, though like the shirt below, they hit the mark perfectly when it comes to bringing the style we like to market... hope that makes sense. I'm not looking for small shops either, I'm looking for national brands which we can all afford and take advantage of when one of us sees an item we think the crowd should know about.

Walmart (don't tell anyone I shop there)

I know all posts are dated, but for the sake of shopping, be sure to date the find.

February 2, 2009

Tommy Bahama makes theirs out of silk and they cost over 100 bucks. Some companies make them out of Linen of cotton blends and charge 50 to 70 or more. You can buy shirts from Toyo Enterprises that are direct repros of originals made of Viscose Rayon, and they cost an arm and a leg as well.

Or you can go to Walmart and pick up a few Viscose Rayon (the original style fabric from the 40s) Hawaiian shirts that look like they walked right out of the 40s for the cost of $10

and I'm cool as a cucumber in this shirt (lately it's been warm in California).

IMG_0334-vi.jpg
IMG_0341-vi.jpg

Abyss

Familiar Face
It may be a little late for this...

A little while ago, I went into Target, and something caught my eye. I immediately purchased it. Six button SB vests, wool blend or corduroy, twenty five dollars, surprisingly nice. I walked out of there with a gray wool blend vest, and have worn it several times since. Just the other day I went in, and the vests were on the clearance rack, thirteen dollars, and I picked up a black corduroy vest. The one by me as of the beginning of February still has several on the clearance rack... the fact that they are on clearance is why I say that this message may come a bit late.

Abyss

Familiar Face
I believe that my camera has been influenced by the Adventurer's Gear thread to go off on an adventure somewhere in my house. I'll probably have to go off on my own adventure to find it... as soon as I find it, I'll make sure to take a couple of pictures of both of the vests.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Great idea for a thread!

I've purchased 3-4 Hawaiian shirts from Wal-Mart and love 'em; they're the same style as the one Matt showed. They look vintage and are cool & comfortable.

Wal-Mart also sells George trousers in some stores and a few of the styles are very vintage-inspired. Here's a blog entry I made about them:
http://mrlapel.blogspot.com/2007/12/george-trousers.html
Anyways, be on the lookout for George brand trousers at Wal-Mart for $20 or under. They are well made, look great and comfortable to wear.
Vintage trou on the left, George trousers middle and right:
GeorgeTrousercomparison-1.jpg

George linen/poly blend trousers:
me026-1.jpg

And, as Abyss mentioned, Target carries vintage style 4-pocket vests that are on sale now. Target also sells some nice 100% silk regimental ties (clearance) but unfortunetaly they are modern long length.

Target tie as well as the suit:
me002-3.jpg

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
thunderw21 said:
Great idea for a thread!

It sure is!

The Stacy Adams "Madison" shoe line deserves a place in this thread. "Madison" shoes and boots --especially #s 12 and 15-- are virtually identical to those worn by working class men in the 1920s and '30s. And they come in a huge variety of "vintage" colors!

Easy to find, too:

http://www.stacyadams.com/shop-sa/mensShoes/classic/madison/prod00012.html

http://www.stacyadams.com/shop-sa/mensShoes/classic/madison/prod00015.html

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Marc Chevalier said:
Here's a genuine 1940s Hawaiian shirt whose breast pocket pattern is upside down. Crap!
A lot (most?) of the very pricey vintage Hawaiian shirts don't pattern match.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Youre right about the buttons! The cocoanut shell buttons are much cooler!
But thats the only pocket detail shot I had handy.

In the summer, I tend to wear Hawaiian shirt to the outdoor swing dances.
Personally, I go more for shirts that are some shade of brown, as they match khakis more smartly. One of my pals pointed out that its very much a look from Here to Eternity.

krap ( ;) )
138853946_704dc6cc92.jpg

kewl ( note his fine pocket!)
2946961248_b1ed675f33.jpg

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
thunderw21 said:
Anyways, be on the lookout for George brand trousers at Wal-Mart for $20 or under. They are well made, look great and comfortable to wear.

I decided to check my Wal-Mart when I saw that blog post. I picked up a pair for under 10 dollars and a 4 disk Hitchcock collection (silent films through to his TV show) for 5. It was a good day, for sure.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
B. F. Socaspi said:
...a 4 disk Hitchcock collection (silent films through to his TV show) for 5. It was a good day, for sure.

I got that too. Any day is a good day when Hitchcock is involved!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran