Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Band of Brothers

moustache

Practically Family
Splendid!

I watch the compleat series along with "Saving Private Ryan" every June 6th.Have been doing so now for the last three years.I MAKE time for it.ANd evey time i am still engrossed by the films.
I have had the privilege of visiting many WW2 battlefields and it never fails to impress me.What those men and women did for us and the world.
One of the members of that Easy company resides but only 40 miles from me.(William Wingett).

Here is a link to an Easy company web site:
http://www.menofeasycompany.com

JD in Vancouver,WA

Jay

Practically Family
The book was fantastic. Did anyone catch the picture of Lewis Nixon on the morning of VE day? While skimming through it at Barnes and Noble's I actually laughed out loud.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Yes, that photo is a scream.

You should check out Parachute Infantry by David Webster who was the harvard student in Easy company.
It details his experiences & you see how some of the depictions in theminiseries were abbreviated or consolidated. For instance, Webster never went on that raid for prisoners. I beleive his character was consolidated w/ Forest Guth, who was also a translator.

Jay

Practically Family
Thanks for reminding me. I seen that a while ago but somehow forgot about it. My nephew was telling me all about it. It looks really good.

nick1909

Webster's book was pretty good. Another great one to look out for is "Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters" by Dick Winters and Cole C. Kingseed.
Also, Donald Burgett's books are well worth reading if you're interested the 101st Airborne.

SWTroopers

Familiar Face
nick1909 said:
Webster's book was pretty good. Another great one to look out for is "Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters" by Dick Winters and Cole C. Kingseed.
Also, Donald Burgett's books are well worth reading if you're interested the 101st Airborne.

I'll second that, Burgett's books are a great read. One man's perspective of the 101st. I proudly have all three. Did he ever finish the fourth?

nick1909

Yes. Beyond The Rhine was just published within the last year, I believe. It's a little shorter than the other three books, but a nice finish to the series.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
De trez

Tho its more like a well done magazine, than a book, I've enjoyed this book on Forrest Guth of Band of Brothers.

http://www.d-day-publishing.be/portrait1.html

Cpl Guth is mentioned in the Band ofBrothers book, and you see some footage of him being interviewed in the miniseries, but he is not depicted.
He was a rather unique modifier of uniforms & equipment.
The pix are a real treat, cuz he was quite a snappy dresser & acquired a lot of interesting gear as well as captured items.
Also, the miniseries never really deals w/ those who had really hard parachute landings. Guth's chute tangles dropping into Holland.Ouch.
Also, in Wester's book, the landing on Dday dropped him into a flooded area. But I suppose these details did not fit into the miniseries' direction.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
PLF

Many paratroopers died on D-Day because low flying DC-3s released
sticks considerably below regulation altitude level and chutes failed
to properly deploy.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
I realize I'm hopping on the bandwagon extremely late here, but I just have to applaud this series, which I just happened upon last night on The History Channel. I only caught three episdoes, but they were enough to hook me. The set/cinematography are stunning, the acting brilliant, inspired, and the general effect is just amazing. A very harrowing look at the ugly truths of war, but brilliantly done. I can't get over how amazing Damian Lewis is in his role, I was simply blown away. I'm very impressed, and hope to get the boxset within the next month. Until then, I'll keep trying to catch them on television.

Feraud

Bartender
There is nothing wrong with bumping a good thread. :)
BOB is a top notch production and the box set is worth buying.
Enjoy the rest of the series!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just love the series.

I was lucky to bag the producer's RMNZ A-2 Dubow flying jacket which was used on set. So I can watch the series with the A2 on!! (nooooo!!! that would be just too cheesy for me, but it's a nice A2).

griffer

Practically Family
My wife got me the box set.

I love the movie/series.

BUT, I have had a heck of a time with the quality control.

First set had 4 scratched DVDs, we got a replacement, and it too had 3 scratched DVDs.

We muddled through, but has anyone else had this issue?

griffer

Practically Family
Amazon said the whole batch of BoB box sets were damaged.

They are taking back the second box and refunding, plus giving a $15 credit.

Boooo.

Now we have to find a box that isn't goofed up.

Miss Jones

New in Town
Better late than never (for a reply). I've had the BoB set for a few yrs now. Love, Love, LOVE it. Shows more of the personal side of the war than Ryan. More emotional. My fave episode is Bastogne.

fourstarbanner

One of the Regulars
I agree with Miss Jones. What makes the series so special is how it shows the soldiers as real people with real goals, dreams, and hardships they had to face. People today seem to forget that lives were interrupted to go overseas and fight. Both Band of Brothers and Saving Private Ryan show the war on a more personal level.

I have both Ambrose's book and Beyond Band of Brothers and I love them!

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
More on the 101st

I just found George E. Koskimaki's books on the 101st all great reads, Mr. Koskimaki was a radio operator in the 101st and after the war he talked to all the vets about what happened after the was to get the story of what happened.
Very interesting, sometimes funny, sometimes scarry, sometimes sad. go out and give them a try. The First one is D-Day with the Screaming Eagles this one is just about June 6th, that is the only thing lacking it dose not go into the rest of the Normady campain. 2nd is Hell's Highway this talks about operation Market Garden. And the 3rd is The Battered Bastards of Bastone is all about Bastone the first two are in paperback and the 3rd is comming out in May in paperback.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner