Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bandanas: Okay, or dorky?

Tikismall

New in Town
Nashoba said:
yeah, my parents make fun of me when I wear one, and airport security didn't like it (I had my hair in pin curls..needless to say the metal detector went off and they wanded my head...I guess to make sure it wouldn't explode..sigh, lesson learned) and sometimes I get funny looks, but screw 'em. some of those folks should look in a mirror at what they're passing off as acceptable in town and then contemplate commenting on me. I say wear 'em. They're practical

Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one who would get wanded on the dome! Ha!
I wasn't in pin curls but I had a hair piece on and was kinda worried the airport security would stop me and make me take off my hair.
That would have been just AWFUL!
I got through with no real issues, aside from the usual stares from the gals and the guys for being all made up and wearing heels.

Emer

One of the Regulars
VanillaT said:
So, I ask you all here... does it look bad to wear a bandana on the head for a casual look?

If you had curlers on under them, then I might lay off that! lol But if you're wearing it Rosie-inspired, then tell your teacher to kiss off!

VanillaT said:
... is my red lipstick viewed the same way?

Might go a bit :eek:fftopic: here:
The first time I wore all out red lipstick, it was after Halloween and I'd been Marilyn Monroe. I loved it so much it became part of my everyday wardrobe. I had co-workers ask me if I'd forgotten to wash off my Halloween costume! I was so hurt by it that I almost ran to the bathroom and washed it off. But instead I turned around and said, "It's called make-up! Perhaps you should try it once in a while!" No one ever bothered me about my red lipstick again.

So many people are afraid to stand out that when they see someone who does (and looks good doing it) they react negatively because they simply don't know what else to do. Maybe next time they question you about your head ware or lipstick shade, just smile and say, "Thanks [insert famous movie star's name from the Golden Era here] wore it just like this!"

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the compliments girls, and glad you liked the tutorial from Iris~

I think Scarlett is right, you all look adorable and bandanas ROCK! :eusa_clap

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
My question is maybe a teeny bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread...

I'm *sure* I've seen pics of bandanas being worn with victory rolls, though I can't find anything by googling. What I wanted to ask was, should the bandana be tied infront of or behind the rolls? Whichever way I do it doesn't look right, but I'm sure I've seen this on others!

(Bandanas are awesome btw :D)

Tatum

Practically Family
My question is maybe a teeny bit off topic, but I didn't want to start a whole new thread...

I'm *sure* I've seen pics of bandanas being worn with victory rolls, though I can't find anything by googling. What I wanted to ask was, should the bandana be tied infront of or behind the rolls? Whichever way I do it doesn't look right, but I'm sure I've seen this on others!

(Bandanas are awesome btw :D)

I have tied them behind the rolls, and I think it looks cute. Sometimes it would sit too far back, so I might hide one under the bandanna. What isn't working for you, Frenchy?

Tatum

Practically Family
Ooh, look what I found on Google, and it is our lovely ohairas... I think this looks darling!

2364858375_404eff12ae_b.jpg

Frenchy56

A-List Customer
I have tied them behind the rolls, and I think it looks cute. Sometimes it would sit too far back, so I might hide one under the bandanna. What isn't working for you, Frenchy?

Thanks for your reply. I love the picture, she looks amazing! I think the problem I have is that I do rolls facing backwards, not a big forwards one like the lady in the picture. It looks completelywrong if I tie the bandana in front, but if I tie it behind it looks too far back on my head... maybe the look just doesn't suit me :(

Tatum

Practically Family
Thanks for your reply. I love the picture, she looks amazing! I think the problem I have is that I do rolls facing backwards, not a big forwards one like the lady in the picture. It looks completelywrong if I tie the bandana in front, but if I tie it behind it looks too far back on my head... maybe the look just doesn't suit me :(

Maybe you are right, but could it be something so dramatically different that it just looks *off* to you? That happened to me. I tried it a few times and thought, "No way can I leave the house like this..." Then one day, when I was gardening, a few friends popped by and gushed about it, so I figured maybe I just needed to get over it. Sometimes a look takes getting used to. I was afraid to leave the house in rolls for ages!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I wear a front reverse roll, and always tie the bandana behind it. If I tie over it, the bandana always rides up the back of my head.

It also helps to have my hair pinned up in pincurls under the banadana. If I just tuck the hair up, it doesn't stay in place.

wahine

Practically Family
Thanks for reviving this thread! After reading it, I put on my bandana, and went to the grocery store Rosie style. Ignoring gazes of other customers and the cashier, I felt wonderful and planned on wearing it more often.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner