Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I found an old barber in downtown Dallas about 10 years ago, and got much of the same treatment. It was the most complete haircut I'd ever had, complete with the neck massage (which surprised me a little, as I'm not used to another guy taking a neck massager after me). I dare say these gents were more like in their 70's or 80's in my case. I recall having my eyebrows cleaned up a bit, and some trimming in my ears. There were only Hustlers in the magazine rack, which was another surprise to me, as this was a public place.
They charged me $9.95, and I gave them a $20 which was accepted. I tried to go back to the same place again, but it wasn't there anymore. I really caught the last of that one. I was left feeling like I got a better treatment than anything these rinky-dink newer chain jobs could ever manage.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Lee Lynch said:
I found an old barber in downtown Dallas about 10 years
Was it in Oak Cliff? (maybe on Illinois). My dad used to go to an old style barber's shop when I was younger with a bunch of older gentleman cutting hair.

McPeppers

One of the Regulars
I know its got nothing to do with the haircut itself but I ran into an interesting practice while I was in London.

They wash your hair post-cut rather than pre-cut in the U.S. I now ask for it every time I get my hair cut here in the States because the practicality of it is simply overwhelming. Now I can continue my day without itching and without leaving a little trail of hair everywhere I go. Positively Genious...

Cheers!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MK said:
Andy's barber shop on Hollywood blvd.

Get the guy next to the window. He appears to be the best.

MK, does this recommendation from two years ago still stand?

And do any Angelenos have other favorites? Either in the San Fernado Valley or in the Glendale/Burbank area?

richstyle

New in Town

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
McPeppers said:
I know its got nothing to do with the haircut itself but I ran into an interesting practice while I was in London.

They wash your hair post-cut rather than pre-cut in the U.S. I now ask for it every time I get my hair cut here in the States because the practicality of it is simply overwhelming. Now I can continue my day without itching and without leaving a little trail of hair everywhere I go. Positively Genious...

Cheers!

It wasn't in Oak Cliff, but downtown Dallas. It's been awhile since I tried and failed to relocate the place, but it was in the Elm or Main Street area, to the East of the center of town.

I'm gonna try to find another old style shop, although I do like the haircut guy my wife and I both go to. It would be nice to get the works again.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
:eusa_clap That is a great story and photos! Thanks for sharing. I absolutly love that he insisted on not taking a tip when everyone wants to be tipped for everything and anything these days!

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
Barber needed in SF-Bay area

Desperately need a haircut. My normal guy is on maternity leave and I'm approaching hair lengths dangerously close to hippie! Anyone have any recommendations for barbers in SF or the East Bay?

panamag8or

Practically Family
skillbilly said:
Desperately need a haircut. My normal guy is on maternity leave and I'm approaching hair lengths dangerously close to hippie! Anyone have any recommendations for barbers in SF or the East Bay?

Some reviews of the Exchange Barber shop from yelp.com:

Old-school and not just for the old-fools. In the shadows of the Bank of America building and tucked below street level, this last of a dying breed is truly a find. A real barbershop with classicly-trained, classicly-attired barbers who know their way around a straight razor. No nancies wiedling attitudes and blonde dyed-tips here.

It's true, classic barber shops are a dying breed in this city which is getting eaten from the inside out by "stylists" and "salons". But "Exchange" seems to be a mainstay so long as there are men working in the Financial District.

The guy cutting my hair told me what he was doing when Kennedy was shot! This is a man's barber shop and I kinda liked it. Step up to the chair and read the latest edition of Playboy (really read it), talk about the spread on the Monday night game (The Pack never covers the spread on the road), the smell of clipper oil and clubman wafting in the air.....
No, I am no GQ model, but then again, neither are most of you, stop in and you'll like it.

Back to the basics. This place is a great old school barbershop in the Financial district. The only reason I have them as four stars and not five is that a cut will run you over $25 (with a tip).

My kind of shop. It is where I would go if I were in SF.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
scotrace said:
Cool thread to bump! I see a trip to visit Zohar in the making.

Unfortunately Mr. Coleman died last month, so now I have Mr. Maclellan cut my hair. He's not as good as Mr. Coleman, but it's still better than Supercuts.

I'm kind of worried what will happen to the place eventually. Not many young men going into barbering these days.

Mr Maltby

One of the Regulars
Barber Shop

Do any of you have opinions on barber shops in san francisco?

Im heading up there in a couple of weeks, and would like to get a shave with a straight blade while im there.

Harry Pierpont

One of the Regulars
Might not happen.

Mr Maltby,
Some friends and I were talking about that the other day, shaving not visiting SF, "Alphonse Capone" was there and he being a barber, I believe he said it's not allowed any more due to the dangers of cutting/ bleeding and all the blood-borne diseases out there. Maybe he'll see this thread and correct me. ??

Archie Goodwin

One of the Regulars
I have also heard that straight razor shaves are not legal anymore, but then I saw them being done after I heard that story. I believe it may vary state-to-state, but would be interested in hearing first hand evidence. I cannot find a straight razor shave in New Orleans, but I have had one in Florida, and heard a rumor they were available in Las Vegas.

alphonse capone

New in Town
Straight razor shave

Most states it is not allowed :( why you say, Blood borne pathogens & sterilization. Any sharp instrument that shaves, pierces the skin or otherwise has to be sterilized not sanitized but high heat sterilized ie autoclave :O I myself as a Barber can shave you with a *disposable saftey razor* diposable being the key word never to be used again. I shave myself with a nude Barbers pet Straight razor it's used on me no one else. Old Barbers that have been *Grandfathered in* can still Straight razor customers but good luck finding one, most are in their late 80's to 90, have you ever seen any old Barbershop pictures with all the shaving mugs, everyone had their own mug & somtimes razors. If you can talk your Barber into Straight razoring you off the clock that might work , but get caught on the clock & it's curtins ;) one of these days I'll have to do a thead on shaving with a Straight razor & beard prep with a scalding towel & how to edge flex with boiling water. I'ts really the best shave one can get smooth, close & sharp. If you want to learn how Straight razor I would suggest praticing on a balloon till you don't pop it, get yourself a strop , 1000 grit stone learn to sharpen first, roll a burr then hone. Then learn to control the edge on your skin & don't bump the mirror ;)
Alphonse

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Real Shaves

In the Bombay Sheraton barber shop you used to get a disposable blade shave with the hot towels and face and head massage as part of the whole treatment for like USD5. It was one of the great treats of my flying career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24