Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barber Shops

Barry

Practically Family
I don't care for the Shavette. I think it's fine for sideburns or the back of the neck but that's about it. Some Shavettes are very lightweight and almost flimsy. The second barbershop shave I had involved one of those and I wound up with razor burn.

The Feather Artist Club, on the other hand, is great. The stainless steel version has quite a bit of heft and the disposable blades (even the pro-guard) are no joke.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
while I can't vouch for the closeness of a true "cut throat" razor I have had quite few shaves with straight edges that have replaceable blades. I have had great shaves that lasted 3 days and mediocre shaves that barely lasted a day all from the same place, with similar equipment, but a different barber. IMHO, I feel that while the equipment is important, the skill of the person performing the service is more important. Maybe thats where the discrepancy lies...

Teacher

Familiar Face
woodyinnyc said:
while I can't vouch for the closeness of a true "cut throat" razor I have had quite few shaves with straight edges that have replaceable blades. I have had great shaves that lasted 3 days and mediocre shaves that barely lasted a day all from the same place, with similar equipment, but a different barber. IMHO, I feel that while the equipment is important, the skill of the person performing the service is more important. Maybe thats where the discrepancy lies...

I have heard the same. Like many places, North Dakota does not allow true straight-edge razors any more. Shavettes have been the standard for many years, and many old customers at my local old-time barber's seem very happy. It's a tool, and used correctly, it can (I hear) provide a wonderful shave.

As for health standards: it may be a pain in the hind end, but it really is wise. When shaving, minute amounts of blood can leech out onto a blade. Only hospital-quality equipment can truly clean and sterilize the blades, and this is both expensive and hard on the edges. That's why hospitals use disposable scalpal blades: it's safer, and the blades are ensured of being sharp. We just have to learn to adjust.

Barry

Practically Family
I own both an inexpensive Dovo Shavette and a Feather AC/DX and to me there's no comparison. I do not own the stainless Shavette so maybe that's an issue. Bad technique with either will have bad results. But still, my shaves with the Feather are much better than with the Shavette. There's a huge difference in the blades that I'm using too and that just might be the biggest factor of all.

Here's a link to lots of pictures and some commentary about the two devices on Badger and Blade. For the most part, Joel, the author, disagrees with me on this.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
woodyinnyc said:
BTW Hem, you may not NEED the shave, but the experience is worth it once and its a beautiful thing when you are little hungover. So I've been told! :rolleyes:

Hmmm... I think I might just ask for a full shave next time I go back to my barber... I noticed the sign says they do them. I've heard people say a really good shave can last for 2-3 days.

woodyinnyc

One of the Regulars
brylcreem boy said:
Hmmm... I think I might just ask for a full shave next time I go back to my barber... I noticed the sign says they do them. I've heard people say a really good shave can last for 2-3 days.

True. A good shave will last me 3 days. I remember spending summers with my grandparents and going to the barber with my grandfather. I don't remember him shaving himself. He would go twice a week to the barber, Tuesday and Saturday, shaves both days, trim every other week. Sounds like bliss to me.

Captain

New in Town
Fantastic barber experience

Many thanks to everyone that has offered advice to me on here in regards to cuts and styles from back in the day. I paid a visit to a new barber the other day and felt I just had to share the experience.

The barber had been recommended to me by a friend and I popped into his shop in the mid morning. He runs his store classic style (no booking, just waiting in line) and has the entire place decked out in a vintage style with some modern trimmings.

It's called the 'Men's Room' and, as the name suggests, is for gents only. When you arrive you can seat yourself on any of the several large, leather sofas, grab yourself a magazine from the stylish racks (men's magazines) and take a seat. Hilariously he has a large plasma screen above his vintage mirrors (but trust me, it seems to fit) and has plenty of room wide conversation on offer.

What impressed me the most was the cut though! I took a seat and explained what I wanted; short back and sides, high taper, long on top. He took a look, made a small thinking noise and said, 'World War II style?'. He then proceeded to give me the best cut I'd ever had and regaled me with tales of classic old, bakerlite clippers, vintage Barbering equipment and styles from back in the day.

He apologised for me having to wait an hour for the cut but, as I explained, I'd waited a hell of a lot longer to get it than that!

Nashoba

One Too Many
Oh if I could find someone like that to cut my husband's hair! He doesn't have a terribly difficult cut is a simple regulation one but for some reason people have the hardest time with it. Especially the fade. He hasn't had a truly perfect cut since we left Northern California. He used to get it cut on base by a lady who had cut hair at Parris Island for 20 years. I miss her. He told her once what he wanted and after that the only thing she ever asked was if wanted any off the top this week. Sigh.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Wow I guess I'm vintage hillbilly since I've been cutting my own hair for years.:eek:

I've been trying to convince my husband to let me cut his for years. I have after all had barbers yell at ME for telling them that they weren't getting his cut right. He'll let his Marines cut his hair but he won't let me [huh] I mean really, even if I screw it up the first couple of time he gets his hair cut every other week anyway....

Jovan

Suspended
6StringShooter said:
I'm on the next flight out...:rolleyes:

I hope I can find something similar when I move to Chicago next week!!!!
There are a few old style barbers here in town. I've never used any of them, but they could be worth checking out.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like a great experience.
Personally I always try to find oldfashion barbershops when I am travelling around Europe. Some of my best shaving-experiencies has ben on the small Greek island Leros and in Bologna, Italy.
Not the same - but then again. The carefull expertice and their pride in their jobs were the same, allthough my Greek barber only had one chair and the Italian had a muc more stylish shop (Unchanged since 1935!!!)

Rooster

Practically Family
Captain said:
Many thanks to everyone that has offered advice to me on here in regards to cuts and styles from back in the day. I paid a visit to a new barber the other day and felt I just had to share the experience.

The barber had been recommended to me by a friend and I popped into his shop in the mid morning. He runs his store classic style (no booking, just waiting in line) and has the entire place decked out in a vintage style with some modern trimmings.

It's called the 'Men's Room' and, as the name suggests, is for gents only. When you arrive you can seat yourself on any of the several large, leather sofas, grab yourself a magazine from the stylish racks (men's magazines) and take a seat. Hilariously he has a large plasma screen above his vintage mirrors (but trust me, it seems to fit) and has plenty of room wide conversation on offer.

What impressed me the most was the cut though! I took a seat and explained what I wanted; short back and sides, high taper, long on top. He took a look, made a small thinking noise and said, 'World War II style?'. He then proceeded to give me the best cut I'd ever had and regaled me with tales of classic old, bakerlite clippers, vintage Barbering equipment and styles from back in the day.

He apologised for me having to wait an hour for the cut but, as I explained, I'd waited a hell of a lot longer to get it than that!

I found a little local place called "The Dutchman's". Same fabulous experience you had. I'll never go to another barber. This place has three chairs and the barbers to go with htem. Better have an appointment or you may wait hours....one busy place!
A REAL barber is truely a treasure!

Captain

New in Town
A [B said:
REAL[/B] barber is truely a treasure!

I agree! I just love the idea that everyone that goes is happy to wait. We all know we can't book so no-one is in a rush and it creates a very relaxed, oasis-like atmosphere. A group of Gents just chilling out and making a morning of their cut.

I'll be traveling around the States for a month soon, I'll have to find an equivalent when I'm there ;)

Jovan

Suspended
I have never yet used the services of a barber shop. I think my main concern is that they wouldn't want to or couldn't do the things that I want. Perhaps I'm just thinking of ones from the '50s though.

I really do want to get a good straight razor shave someday though. I hear it's a very relaxing experience.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Jovan said:
There are a few old style barbers here in town. I've never used any of them, but they could be worth checking out.

Go to Phyl's downtown, on University between Bar One and Jeff's Deli. She has had a shop in town for years, and the other chair is operated by a guy from Rhode Island, who has been cutting hair for 40+ years. He also does straight razor shaves. The place is crawling with Gator memoribilia, and both Meyer and Donovan get their hair done there sometimes.

Also, there is Phil's, near Leonardo's 706. They have been around forever, but I haven't been there since I got back into town, so I don't know how they are now.

Farther out on University, just west of 34th, is Gator Barber. Alaso a good old-time shop.

If you are feeling reckless, go to the shop in the Union. There is one old dude there who is slowly losing his mind, and it is almost a rite of passage to get through one of his cuts.lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn